Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:10 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times

Advertisements

My manager sent an email out today asking for standard feedback on our co-manager. The basic: Start doing, stop doing, continue doing form.

So, my question, are you honest when asked to do these types of things?

It is not anonymous. My manager will know who wrote it, but the co-manager should not.

I just want some opinions. A few of us were discussing this at work today and I wanted to see how other people handle these types of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Ha ha no. Nice and generic and inoffensive.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
I'm honest. I use to work for a retail store that is now out of business. I got hired and just finished their management training and recieved a call from corporate wondering if I love their training program. I told corporate office that their management training suck balls. Their response was, "Really? People told us that they love our management training. You are the first to complain."

My response was, "Actually, I spoke to many of the members of management around town and they all agreed it suck balls but they were too scared to tell you guys that, they didn't want to get fired for telling the truth."

LMFAO. I didn't get fired for telling the truth.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
My manager sent an email out today asking for standard feedback on our co-manager. The basic: Start doing, stop doing, continue doing form.

It is not anonymous. My manager will know who wrote it, but the co-manager should not.

I just want some opinions. A few of us were discussing this at work today and I wanted to see how other people handle these types of things.
I would be honest. Consider that because the feedback isn't anonymous the manager will know something about each respondent...how they are as workers and how they interact with the manager being reviewed. If you lie and none of your answers jibe with what they know about you as an employee, they'll wonder WHY you were not honest. This could very well come back to bite you....(you are not to be trusted, deceitful, manipulator, etc.) If you have options for HOW to present something negative (if its not a multiple-choice form for example), that's where you can be diplomatic and polite in how you express it (um maybe something OTHER than that expressed in #3 above ). I just don't see any reason to be dishonest. If there's something serious going on in your workplace that needs fixing, why not be the stand up person to face it? Your value could go up a lot.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:16 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post

I'm not really honest. But I should be.

My reviews of fellow co-workers is positive because I don't want to screw them over and get them fired or not promoted or anything.

But in retrospect for myself, you don't know what your flaws are unless people say them to you.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:09 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Nope. Be nice and stay safe.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:13 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
When I worked P/T for Enterprise Rent a Car, I was honest on my exit interview after giving two weeks notice (worke 6 years), and after a year decided to re-apply at a different location that was hiring. When I worked P/T, I was a model employee, never late, went above and beyond my duties and had a great relationship with repeat customers....this time around, not even considered for a position and I believe it was due to my exit interview where I exposed the manager for charging customers for damage to cars that was there prior to them renting....renting cars with safety issues (bald tires, no brake lights) and expired tags. So, the original question...would I be honest ?....if currently employed....no......leaving and willing to burn that bridge...heck yeah.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
When I worked P/T for Enterprise Rent a Car, I was honest on my exit interview after giving two weeks notice (worke 6 years), and after a year decided to re-apply at a different location that was hiring. When I worked P/T, I was a model employee, never late, went above and beyond my duties and had a great relationship with repeat customers....this time around, not even considered for a position and I believe it was due to my exit interview where I exposed the manager for charging customers for damage to cars that was there prior to them renting....renting cars with safety issues (bald tires, no brake lights) and expired tags. So, the original question...would I be honest ?....if currently employed....no......leaving and willing to burn that bridge...heck yeah.
Valuable lesson learned.

This is why I roll my eyes at those on here who talk about being brutally honest at exit interviews. All it does is perhaps make you feel good for a few days, but instead of 'changing' the company, makes you ineligible for rehire (and can have other bad implications).

I never said anything bad about a company or its employees in exit interviews, and I never gave bad feedback when asked.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Oh, I have a personal story about that, and one that STILL makes me cringe.

My best friend at the time got me a job in which she was my supervisor. All of us were asked to fill out an anonymous evaluation of her, and I was VERY honest, but not mean in any way -- in addition to listing about seven or eight good things about her as a manager, I also listed about three of her managerial faults, imo, in an unemotional way. (For example, something like, "her directions could be more precise".)

Well, a few weeks later, she called me after work to vent about this "horrible person" who had said all the bad stuff about her in his evaluation, and she went on and on about one of my co-workers and what an awful person he was to say such things about her, and she was quoting MY evaluation. I never did 'fess up to her. (Our friendship ended shortly thereafter, anyway, due to my moving out of state.)

Old 09-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Being honest does not mean volunteering every little negative detail. For this kind of thing, I would start out with some area for improvement, appearing as constructive rather than negative. For example, instead of saying "____is never available for help when we need him" you could say "subordinates would appreciate and benefit from more availability to help with problems." I would then always end with something positive, even if it's difficult to come up with one. If it's a check boxes or rating type of form, try to stay close to the middle with the negatives, nothing too extreme, again showing room for improvement without being too harsh. You never know whether the person being evaluated might actually see who wrote what since you said "It is not anonymous. My manager will know who wrote it, but the co-manager should not." Should is the important word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment