Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:58 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times

Advertisements

I know people who can't stand Amazon, NOT necessarily as a retailer, but as an employer. The people I've known say Amazon's the worst company to work for. They really don't treat their employees right at all. They treat them like they're just a #, like they're disposable, & truly screw them over. When it comes to an employee approaching the 1-year mark of work for them when the first raise and paid vacation is around the corner, they suddenly let them go for no legit reason.

It's a shame that such a huge company treats their employees like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,769,668 times
No, they're no different than any other big company. They just get more publicity because they're more successful.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I know many people that work for Amazon, and they all love it there. This is in their South Lake Union (Seattle) headquarters.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:09 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,935,559 times
How about the poor stiffs at the warehouses? 8 hrs of packing crap 5 times a week, I don't know about that. I think mentally I can handle 2 days of it. Going thru metal detectors at lunch and every time you enter and exit. Kind of like prison.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
How about the poor stiffs at the warehouses? 8 hrs of packing crap 5 times a week, I don't know about that. I think mentally I can handle 2 days of it. Going thru metal detectors at lunch and every time you enter and exit. Kind of like prison.

They put in metal detectors because of the epidemic of workplace shootings, particularly in warehouses. I think it's a good idea.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,111,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
If they can't stand doing that for 8 hours a day, why not get additional skills and do something else?

Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,935,559 times
Thats how things balance themselves in the world. If everyone could graduate from Harvard who the hell would cook a meal for you or mow your lawn for money?

Old 09-08-2017, 08:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
No. Amazon has some 300,000 employees so of course they get lots of attention, mostly regarding the warehouse workers. People also forget Amazon's presence as an IT commerce and cloud computing company. The employees in Seattle, 70,000 or so of them, are well-payed and highly skilled IT workers similar to Apple, many becoming rich from Amazon's success.

But warehouse workers - it's unskilled labor and any warehouse work is going to suck no matter what company or what warehouse it is. A person should know that on the way in. That's simply the way it is - your job function is to move boxes from here to there. For many it's only seasonal work. It's not meant to be a career job unless you move on to warehouse management or a supervisor position, but a McJob type thing you do on the way up. I did it back when I was starting out - no A/C working in Florida in summer is a special type of hell. Crappy pay and crappy vacation. Now they are demanding AC like they are a customer at a shopping mall? Snowflakes! I did it for a few years between school, survived, got me some edumacation, and moved on to better things.

Metal detectors are likewise almost standard in a warehouse and are actually required for CTPAT reasons.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
No clue. I've never worked there. Don't believe everything you read.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,242 times
I've read some negative stories about them as well (mostly about warehouse jobs), but you have to remember that you're more likely to hear feedback from disgruntled employees than anyone else. Warehouse work is usually exhausting and thankless; the holiday season would suck for sure.

Their hiring process is a bit odd. I applied to one of their warehouse jobs recently and received a (likely) automated conditional employment offer via email, but no follow-up about orientation and start dates so I'm not expecting it to materialize. Based on what I've read it seems Amazon does this with future business demand in mind and may not need to hire anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment