Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:05 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If you felt so short of breath that someone needed to remove the child before sitting down, you needed medical attention.
Yes, but that does not mean that the OP needed to go to an emergency room for a largely non emergency situation. If he was alert, walking and doing OK after an incident then taking him to the ER is a stupid over reaction and misuse of a personnel trained for emergencies. It is also a waste of resources that helps make health care costs so ridiculous in this country. But OP could've simply refused to go to the ER.

If his management is concerned about his health, they could've asked him to leave for the day and get a complete physical. They could've required doctor's note about his health and health issues before he goes back to work. Those are all reasonable precautions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

How this could be spun negatively in any way is beyond me.
I will explain how it can. INSURANCE..... Some people have very high deductables and dont want a $5,000 or more bill over a precaution. I think some of you don't realize what it costs to even ride in an ambulance. A one night stay in a hospital for chest pain can run you $15,000. Not saying they did the wrong thing at all, but there is a reason for you.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I will explain how it can. INSURANCE..... Some people have very high deductables and dont want a $5,000 or more bill over a precaution. I think some of you don't realize what it costs to even ride in an ambulance. A one night stay in a hospital for chest pain can run you $15,000. Not saying they did the wrong thing at all, but there is a reason for you.
Then say no to the ambulance ride. The OP didn't so that's on him - no one else.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:10 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes, but that does not mean that the OP needed to go to an emergency room for a largely non emergency situation. If he was alert, walking and doing OK after an incident then taking him to the ER is a stupid over reaction and misuse of a personnel trained for emergencies. It is also a waste of resources that helps make health care costs so ridiculous in this country. But OP could've simply refused to go to the ER.

If his management is concerned about his health, they could've asked him to leave for the day and get a complete physical. They could've required doctor's note about his health and health issues before he goes back to work. Those are all reasonable precautions.
I get what you're saying but let's look at it this way...
You're a manager or administrator. One of your workers collapses (shortness of breath, chest pains, whatever the cause) that worker is older, he or she has had a health scare or two in the past. In such case, if I were the boss, I'd insist my worker go to the ER! I think that if I just sent the worker home, and he/she later suffered a worse setback resulting in their ending up in the ICU, or dead, there's no doubt that would be on my conscience! And I had the opportunity to get them help, but didn't. That would damn sure affect me no end.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I get what you're saying but let's look at it this way...
You're a manager or administrator. One of your workers collapses (shortness of breath, chest pains, whatever the cause) that worker is older, he or she has had a health scare or two in the past. In such case, if I were the boss, I'd insist my worker go to the ER! I think that if I just sent the worker home, and he/she later suffered a worse setback resulting in their ending up in the ICU, or dead, there's no doubt that would be on my conscience! And I had the opportunity to get them help, but didn't. That would damn sure affect me no end.
Huh. So now you are arguing with yourself? You were OUTRAGED about this yesterday. Now you are taking sides against your OP. Odd.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Incident at work which I feel is no big deal.
I was bringing in a small child, had him in my arms. I felt a brief shortness of breath (I'm not asthmatic), so I yelled for my colleague to grab the child. She gets him, I sit down. I'm fine after a moment and I keep telling repeatedly that I'm fine. Colleague goes in. Tells my boss. Next thing I know I've got my boss, her boss, and then the big boss coming out and ganging up on me; office clerical calling 911 and before long, police, fire and EMS are all over me! I keep saying over and over, I'M FINE. I AM OKAY!!
Next thing I know, I'm in an ambulance heading to the ER. Over nothing. A couple of small issues but I'm fine.
Shortness of breath can be an indication of heart trouble. If you had shortness of breath to the extent you had to sit down, and you hadn't been running or doing something like that to cause it, you did need to be checked out. Esp. if you are older or overweight. No criticism, but age and weight add to the potential for danger.

Most people get tired or slight shortness of breath after exertion, but rarely to the point that they have to sit down and recover, esp if they haven't been packing and loading boxes at a fast pace for a period of time. You DID need to be checked out, particularly if you deal with children or drive.

I hope insurance paid for that.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,916 times
Even if you have a health problem, your boss is not a doctor or your physician, and is not a judge.
He sounds like a fool and should not have called 911, unless there was an emergency.
It's almost a form of harassment in a small way.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Even if you have a health problem, your boss is not a doctor or your physician, and is not a judge.
He sounds like a fool and should not have called 911, unless there was an emergency.
It's almost a form of harassment in a small way.
Boy, am I glad you're not my boss. "Oh, it looks like you might be having a heart attack, but I'm neither a doctor nor your personal physician and I'm sure not a judge, so I'll just let you sit there and maybe die. Toodle-oo!" Sheesh.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:15 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Did you get fired after this? That's the important question.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Boy, am I glad you're not my boss. "Oh, it looks like you might be having a heart attack, but I'm neither a doctor nor your personal physician and I'm sure not a judge, so I'll just let you sit there and maybe die. Toodle-oo!" Sheesh.
There are other options between 911 and death, particularly if the person is saying he is fine and is no longer showing any acute distress. Those options include having an employee accompany the person to the hospital or urgent care, for example, if there is no family member available. I know that happened a few times at my old job when a person appeared to be in distress, but not enough to merit an ambulance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment