Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
Thanks for your response. I don't revel in the situation. I wish I would get to a place where I could just be left a lone come to work do my job and go home all while being unbothered yet there is always someone trying to start dramas or problems with me. How mature is it for a grown man to do what this guy did. He didn't want my attention he was just trying to cause a scene with me. You are right I could mirror the screen or I could feed into them and acknowledge them instead of ignoring them. I truly feel like its darn if I do and darn if I don't. I feel like I was taking the higher road by ignoring them and not giving them a reaction but maybe I should play into them and hope that itll go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
The problem is I consider their "reactions" as bullying. The more I ignore them the more they want to attack. I'm not looking down where my neck is at 90 degrees but there is a glance down. The main issue I have is why cant everyone at work just mind their own business and leave me alone? My posture isn't bothering anyone else. It isn't keeping anyone from doing their work. If I followed my first mind and got up and slapped one of them or cussed them out then I would look out of control and in the wrong. When I ignore them I'm in the wrong. People who approach me with legitimate questions and concerns don't get ignored but this guy yesterday had nothing but ill intent.
It sounds as if you may be more withdrawn and non-communicative than most people. If this is a problem that follows you from place to place, the reality is that it will be easier for you to change a bit rather than expect everybody else to do so.

A small amount of social grace goes a long way. Saying hello in the morning, asking politely about how the weekend went, and generally not being the weird reclipusive guy may fix your problems at work. While I understand your desire to be completely focused on your task and exclude the rest of the world unless they have a legitimate question, most human beings are not built that way.

Say hello to people, pretend you care, and mirror your screen. I bet life at work gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then tell them do something about it in 1/2 mpnths, or ill quit and go to my lawyer. This sounds like a hostile work environment.
Hostile work environment has a specific definition, and is not generally applied to somebody who doesn't like their coworkers action. It is used to describe a pattern of harassment based on discrimination against a protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Get a larger headset that people can see.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
sounds like your office has a nasty culture of picking on the slow gazelle.
I would look at the capering fool and say with disdain, "what on earth are you doing?"

If he says something like "you were asleep," reply "don't be ridiculous." Then go back to work.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
You need to get up, walk around and talk to people. Get rid of the ear buds. Be personable. People are picking on you because you are not being social and no one knows anything about you. Be their friend, at least at work, and most of this drama will disappear. You can't ignore all your coworkers and expect them to leave you alone, in most instances. Work is like High School, as many people never change since they were in High School.

It's kinda sad, but that's America.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
sounds like your office has a nasty culture of picking on the slow gazelle.
I would look at the capering fool and say with disdain, "what on earth are you doing?"

If he says something like "you were asleep," reply "don't be ridiculous." Then go back to work.
This is a good response. Takes very little effort on the part of OP, quite correctly calls the coworker out on their bad behavior, and establishes OP is working.

Last edited by fishbrains; 09-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Correct typo.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
A bit of entertaiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W__qCFWi1KA

Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
I would stand up for yourself and tell the guy to "knock it the f%%^ off and to not do it again" and be done with it.

I don't see how if you are sitting in front of a laptop on a desk, it looks like you are sleeping. Use the monitor- I have the same setup and use both the laptop and desktop monitor for more screen space.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I would stand up for yourself and tell the guy to "knock it the f%%^ off and to not do it again" and be done with it.

I don't see how if you are sitting in front of a laptop on a desk, it looks like you are sleeping. Use the monitor- I have the same setup and use both the laptop and desktop monitor for more screen space.
Agreed. I have essentially the same setup. My laptop docks into a dual monitor setup. I use the laptop while going to meetings, but when working at my desk I definitely prefer the larger keyboard, separate mouse, and larger displays.

Admittedly that is a personal preference that OP seems not to share, but he should be aware of how his behavior is perceived.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I'm NOT trying to condemn you, btw I apologize if that's how I came across. Ok, how would I handle it? Fair enough question. Actually, because people act that way at your work (jumping around you, yelling your name, etc.), the workplace doesn't seem to care about decorum, so I'd go air horn route. The minute he came up to me and started, I'd blast him. If I overheard him telling ANYONE I was asleep or sleeping at work, I'd immediately get up, walk over to him, and confront him. Flat out ask him why he's been spreading these lies about you, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Calling people out publicly can sometimes work wonders in achieving your desired result.

I wish you luck - it's a sucky situation and I do feel bad for you.
Alternatives. Pepper spray. Or if he stands behind you again stand up quick and "ACCIDENTALLY" Elbow him in the balls. Then the floor will be laughing at him and not you. And coyly say to him in the fetal position on the floor, "Sorry I didn't know you were there. Why were you hovering behind me anyway?"

Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
OP is not answering any questions anymore. Are you sleeping?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment