Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Perhaps many of you knew this, but I certainly didn't.

Being an In N Out manager sounds pretty cool, even though it seems like hard work, and you have to start from the bottom. I like that concept of everyone starting from the bottom and working their way up, because as an employee there, you know that the people who are above you were once in your shoes

But sure seems less costly than going to school to become a lawyer.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bein...214904700.html

Quote:
Back in 2012, the Orange Country Register reported the average salary for an In-N-Out manager was over $120,000, compared to an industry average of around $48,000. As Thrillist pointed out, that's also about $5,000 more than the average lawyer makes, and you don't have to rack up law school debt to get the position.

As a manager, you're also treated to free international trips if you hit target goals, a former In-N-Out employee shared. Add in the company's generous benefits program and casual work culture and you've got a pretty sweet deal.
WHY BEING AN IN-N-OUT MANAGER IS BETTER THAN BEING A LAWYER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
I heard this years ago from a friend who loves In-N-Out.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Impressive that a fast food manager can make that much, but around here the average lawyer is making closer to $200k. Another case where using national average can be misleading. Of course, we don't have any In-N-Out in our state, the nearest is Medford OR (460 miles).

Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
The problem with this comparison is that they're comparing the salary of a specific company against an entire career field. Yes, I know we're still talking about fast food manager vs. lawyer. But it's still not apples to apples.

If we are to assume being an In-N-Out manager is the holy grail of fast food management - Let's look at the similar scenario on the other side: some quick Googling shows that one of the top litigation firms pays their first year associate $185K.

Which isn't a whole lot more if we are to accept the whole leaving school with high debt (while common, not everyone has education debt). However, what is the salary potential for an In-N-Out manager after 5 years? 10 years? Are they moving into corporate? Google tells me that litigation partners are at $380K to $750K a year.

But does any of this really matter? Picking a career isn't like picking a car or a house. None of the above is guaranteed or easy. No one simply chooses to be an In-N-Out manager, lawyer, or whatever career you want to insert into this - and poof, you are magically doing these jobs.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
The problem with this comparison is that they're comparing the salary of a specific company against an entire career field. Yes, I know we're still talking about fast food manager vs. lawyer. But it's still not apples to apples.

If we are to assume being an In-N-Out manager is the holy grail of fast food management - Let's look at the similar scenario on the other side: some quick Googling shows that one of the top litigation firms pays their first year associate $185K.

Which isn't a whole lot more if we are to accept the whole leaving school with high debt (while common, not everyone has education debt). However, what is the salary potential for an In-N-Out manager after 5 years? 10 years? Are they moving into corporate? Google tells me that litigation partners are at $380K to $750K a year.

But does any of this really matter? Picking a career isn't like picking a car or a house. None of the above is guaranteed or easy. No one simply chooses to be an In-N-Out manager, lawyer, or whatever career you want to insert into this - and poof, you are magically doing these jobs.
The average lawyer is starting out with a salary less than 100k. And very, very few ever make it into the mid six figures.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
An In-And-Out manager could only be an In-And-Out manager in a state where there is as In-and-Out while a lawyer can virtually be a lawyer wherever they want providing there is a firm. In-And-Out only are in six states: California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Oregon and Texas. So unless you live in a state listed, don't put all your eggs in this basket.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:25 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The average lawyer is starting out with a salary less than 100k. And very, very few ever make it into the mid six figures.
Macroy makes an excellent point though. in-n-out (damn that is hard to type) managers makes 120k, but they represent the top 1/10 of 1% of all fast food managers. Therefore they should be compared with top lawyers, not all lawyers.

The top 5% of lawyers make over $1 million a year. If we drilled down to the top 1/10 of 1%, I am sure they would make even more.

While it seems good to be an IIO manager, fast food managers on average don't make as much as lawyers on average.

Mkpunk also makes a valid point. There are only 350 IIO managers in the country. There are 1,300,000 lawyers.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
The average fast food manager starts with a salary of $25-$30k, and very very few make it into the mid five figures.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
I don't believe I said otherwise. My point is that they are not comparing apple to apples. The average restaurant manager is 48K. Which isn't even an entry-level position. They're essentially cherry picking a specific position at a specific chain. So I did the same.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:16 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Depends where you are. Average is around $170k here in northern California. Most are not making mid six figures ($400,000+) but there's a lot more lawyers making mid six figures than fast food managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment