Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times

Advertisements

If the job has the possibility of turning into a permanent position, I would not take the time off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I just started a new job 2 weeks ago and had a planned trip in October that I will need a week off for. After receiving my offer I let my boss know that I had this trip planned and I need time off even if it's unpaid. It was not a problem.

I would let your boss know first thing tomorrow that you were just made aware of this wedding and you would only need 3 days off. Let them know you understand if it is not possible, but yo would appreciate it if it could work. Since it's family I would think they would be understanding about it.

If they say no, then I would ask yourself what's more important and weigh it. This is a family wedding, but the job is temporary. Of course the job could turn into them hiring you on. Something to think about!
Yes but your situation is different.

You mentioned it right away during the offer phase, which is exactly the right moment to do so (not too soon, not too late).

However, I have a feeling the OP will still ask anyways, so your suggestion is correct in letting the boss know right away, but I disagree with the part about "appreciate it if it could work."

The OP just started as a temp, possibility of temp to permanent hire. Therefore, the OP has no business telling the boss that they would 'appreciate' it if it could work. If I was a boss, it sure would rub me the wrong way if a new temp hire tried to put me on the spot by saying they would appreciate it if I could make it work for them to take three days off so soon.

All the OP has to do is gingerly inquire IF it is possible to take three days off due to a last minute wedding invite notice. Nothing more, nothing less.

If boss is favorable, good for OP. If boss hesitates or doesn't seem too keen on the idea, let it go immediately and do the best you can to show you are a team player and a high producer at the job.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I also think it depends on the organization's vacation culture. My company has unlimited vacation - a contractor or temp asking for time off with plenty of warning would be no big deal. There is an expectation, at least informally, that everyone goes on a trip every quarter. I've worked at other places where people are anti-vacation and taking a break and it would reflect badly.

I do not think we have enough info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment