Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:42 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times

Advertisements

I'll echo the sentiments here: Severance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM

723 posts, read 570,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No you can't. The severance package delays that as if you're still on payroll. Ditto any unused vacation payout. There's then a 1 or 2 week waiting period.
My office closed at the end of December 2016, and my severance package did not delay my collecting unemployment in the state of OH. I had been an employee there for over 9 years. It all depends on the laws of your state.

In my case, there was a waiting week, that's correct, but then my benefits kicked in and continued until I started another job four months later. The hitch was that my previous employer had to fill out their unemployment forms to reflect that the severance was considered earnings in 2016 and not paid out over weeks or months into 2017. And that was the truth because I received my severance in a lump sum at the end of 2016. The downside was that I owed a lot more income taxes in 2016 than normal because of the big bump up in my annual income.

However, if your severance is paid out like a normal paycheck, biweekly or weekly or whatever, after you leave your job, then your eligibility for unemployment benefits likely will be delayed until you spend down your severance.

Check your state's unemployment website for correct information.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
From what I've heard from others the severance is paid out immediately as a lump sum and they also cover 3 months insurance and give you an opportunity to buy out phone/laptop at a discount rather than return them.

Anyway there would just be a 1 week period between jobs so not even worth looking into unemployment.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:21 PM

166 posts, read 145,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I don't understand the concern for having a layoff on "your record". Why would it even matter, if you already have a job lined up? It's not stopping you from getting a new job.
Exactly. And I don't think any employer would care about a layoff.
I worked for a company that had about 120 employees. At one point, one of the programs was shut down, and anybody related to it got laid off -- about two-thirds of the company.
Absolutely nobody had trouble finding another job because unfortunately, lay-offs happen all the time.

Now, being fired is a different story.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:41 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
Also I wouldn't worry about giving short notice to the current employer (assuming you leave on your own). I seriously doubt that would even come up in an employment verification.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:14 PM

65 posts, read 38,227 times
You have nothing to worry about with a lay off on your record - not a big deal at all. You don't have control of what they will do, but, as it appears now, you have control over what YOU will do. If you give notice, basically, you are quitting before they lay you off, so don't resign. I suggest waiting it out as long as possible to get the $20K (and whatever comes with it). And, if you have a secure replacement job (in writing, papers signed), good for you. You may get the best of both worlds if the dice fall properly. Frankly, it's a no brainer! Good luck.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Take the 20k. I've never not hired someone because they have been laid off before. Termination is another matter, but layoffs would not scare me at all if they were directly attributed to corporate economic issues. Besides, you just never know how much you might need that money.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 PM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
Get the severance package!!! Then transition to the new job. Having a layoff on your record is no big deal, it happens all the time and is not the employee's fault. I have seen excellent people get laid off, it happens. Other employers will know this.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Let them lay you off. If things don't work out with the new job, you can get unemployment.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 PM

134 posts, read 103,104 times
I was laid off and not one interviewer ever batted an eye about. Why resign? Take that layoff and that cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment