Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 AM

68 posts, read 68,491 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I’ve posted in this forum before about choosing a career in auto sales over hospitality. Getting started in the industry, selling is rough, but I love it! I read an article recently about the future of car sales (below), and in a nutshell, sales and marketing at the dealership level will continue to be a growing and lucrative field, but the traditional 3 acre, hundreds-o-cars dealerships will become obselete. I’m excited to move up in this field at the dealership level, but to car sales people and dealership employees: for someone just starting out, what can you recommend to me? I am still completing my bachelors degree in marketing and would like to manage marketing campaigns for dealerships and sales numbers.

Thank you!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarwant...in-the-future/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I'm not in car sales, but:

Just as people are buying much of their goods at Amazon, people have started to buy cars online, and that is indeed a growing trend. There is even a new car vending machine in Singapore. Still, I think it will be many years until car dealerships are eliminated. As a career, choosing the one to work for is key. For example, just last night I bought a new vehicle. It was the 3rd from this family owned company, previous were in 2007 and 2013. Their finance guy recognized me, and has been there over 30 years. My salesman last night was the same that sold us the 2007 (which I traded in). They are closed Sundays to have time with their families, and employees tend to stay until they retire. Being there for a good while, I noticed that all of the other customers there were repeats like us. They have been in business since 1934. That's the kind of place where there is potential for job security. Meanwhile, many of the dealerships around the Seattle area are being bought out by giants like Autonation, and that always has risk of changes in personnel.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/15/si...g-luxury-cars/

Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM

68 posts, read 68,491 times
Thank you so much! I have noticed on some listings for dealerships that it will literally turn away 'job-hoppers' or employees looking for the best deal. I have also been looking into both AutoNation, local dealerships, and market disruptors like Carvana and Tesla. I definitely agree that local dealerships offer the best environments. Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Just as people are buying much of their goods at Amazon, people have started to buy cars online, and that is indeed a growing trend. There is even a new car vending machine in Singapore. Still, I think it will be many years until car dealerships are eliminated. As a career, choosing the one to work for is key. For example, just last night I bought a new vehicle. It was the 3rd from this family owned company, previous were in 2007 and 2013. Their finance guy recognized me, and has been there over 30 years. My salesman last night was the same that sold us the 2007 (which I traded in). They are closed Sundays to have time with their families, and employees tend to stay until they retire. Being there for a good while, I noticed that all of the other customers there were repeats like us. They have been in business since 1934. That's the kind of place where there is potential for job security. Meanwhile, many of the dealerships around the Seattle area are being bought out by giants like Autonation, and that always has risk of changes in personnel.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/15/si...g-luxury-cars/

Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Just as people are buying much of their goods at Amazon, people have started to buy cars online, and that is indeed a growing trend. There is even a new car vending machine in Singapore. Still, I think it will be many years until car dealerships are eliminated. As a career, choosing the one to work for is key. For example, just last night I bought a new vehicle. It was the 3rd from this family owned company, previous were in 2007 and 2013. Their finance guy recognized me, and has been there over 30 years. My salesman last night was the same that sold us the 2007 (which I traded in). They are closed Sundays to have time with their families, and employees tend to stay until they retire.
I recently got on with a dealership,and just to correct some things here...sure cars are selling more online now,but people still have to have somewhere to go to get the cars and most of the time it's dealers just advertising online. They still have their lots. As far as them being closed Sundays to be with their families,some of what I've been hearing is that they'd work every day if they could...it's just that banks and financing companies don't do business on Sundays which is the reason.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
If you want to be in sales, it doesn't really matter what you're selling. Car sales can pay well, but why not software, technology, health care, pharmaceuticals? If you can sell, you can get into selling really lucrative stuff. Cars are nowhere near the top of that pile, except for exotics / luxury brands.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:36 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
The dealers have absolutely gutted pay in car sales. If you like sales, I agree with jnojr, sell something else.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The dealers have absolutely gutted pay in car sales. If you like sales, I agree with jnojr, sell something else.
Besides the shoddy ethics even the "best" dealerships think are their right. Sales should not center primarily on chiseling as much from every customer as possible short of mugging or identity theft.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:17 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Besides the shoddy ethics even the "best" dealerships think are their right. Sales should not center primarily on chiseling as much from every customer as possible short of mugging or identity theft.
Smart sales folks take a long-term view and build relationships. You don't make a lot from selling one car... you make money when happy customers come back, bring their family, and refer their friends to you.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:12 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I've read this about furniture sales, too. Stores are often overstaffed to prevent too many customers from being unattended, which makes sense for busy weekend shifts but not so much for low-traffic weekday shifts. I would avoid commission-based retail sales in general.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:32 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I've read this about furniture sales, too. Stores are often overstaffed to prevent too many customers from being unattended, which makes sense for busy weekend shifts but not so much for low-traffic weekday shifts. I would avoid commission-based retail sales in general.
It also costs the company less since the total sales are spread out more, so the sales people never hit the higher paying tiers.

When you get paid 100% commission, the owner doesn't have enough skin in the game with respect to their employees.

No doubt Oldtrader will be by to talk about the old days in how he was the best guy in the furniture sales business and made 100K+ working 2 days a week or something, lol.

Which, I don't actually doubt. A lot of these retail sales guys made a lot of money in the past, but those days are gone for the most part. Most of these companies no longer see any benefit in their sales staff and see them more like customer service people and the company will sell what they sell no matter who is working for them, so why pay them big dollars.

Making six figures in car sales was very achievable in the past. Now, have fun earning your $125 mini.

Last edited by High Altitude; 09-23-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment