Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

I never wanted a labor job no matter how good the money was because it would have lead to depression. That's why I always preferred to work in administrative roles and will continue to work in a office environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Default Wimpy is Gone

Wimpy went out with the 80s. It seems to be an out of style term now. I remember the 80s. It was wimpy this and wimpy that. Everyone had to look strong and everyone was paranoid about it.

Things have changed and are more relaxed now. So enjoy life and don't let the dead enders get to you. Work at whatever you want when you want. That is certainly not wimpy but strong.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I never wanted a labor job no matter how good the money was because it would have lead to depression. That's why I always preferred to work in administrative roles and will continue to work in a office environment.
I'm guessing you mean depression to you personally for some reason.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
I'm guessing you mean depression to you personally for some reason.

Going to a job everyday that you hate can lead to depression.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
If I were you, I'd start wearing flannel (or the modern equivalent) and take on the role of elder statesman of the community, spouting off some wise one-liner every once in a great while. That should cover you. Dump half a cord of wood in your back yard, get a two-handed axe or awl, and start splitting it. Every time someone drives by, that's what they should see you doing? After awhile all 49 other people in town should be hip to what you're about.

Too, if you took less than three trips through sixth grade, you're probably +2 SD above median town IQ. HS graduate? Run for mayor. I'm pretty sure City Hall is also the town blacksmith shop.
So funny and true. But alas I'm not some conservative of Nordic descent and I do not fit that image
That's why I feel like I stand out,also because it is such a small town. My original plan was for nearby Port Angeles,it's like a real metropolis next to this.

As far as the mayor,his term is over and coincidentally there is a guy running for council with a similar name to mine and some of the local geniuses get us mixed up all the time. When I first got here it reminded me of that Ray Romano movie Welcome to Mooseport,where the guy comes in and becomes mayor.
City Hall does stand on it's own here,but I once lived in a town so small where the mayor also wore other hats...

Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I would bet a significant number of men don't work at labor jobs. It is what it is if that is your local economy. What is a labor job to you?
Around here it's so old fashioned...the men work in the woods,the prison,or highway flaggers etc. Only women work in offices or retail here,literally.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Wimpy went out with the 80s. It seems to be an out of style term now. I remember the 80s. It was wimpy this and wimpy that. Everyone had to look strong and everyone was paranoid about it.

Things have changed and are more relaxed now. So enjoy life and don't let the dead enders get to you. Work at whatever you want when you want.
That would be nice if there were options,but like it's been said in this thread it's a pretty rural area with not many choices.

And as far as throwbacks,this is one of those rural areas that seems stuck in old days plus of course it's heavily conservative so yes it can seem primative at times.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Going to a job everyday that you hate can lead to depression.
No doubt.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 AM

482 posts, read 398,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I moved from an area where I came up around office jobs,now I'm in an area with mostly labor jobs. I'm also alot older,is it considered 'whimpy' if I don't now work at some labor job...since there's not much else around?
This is hilarious. Who thinks like this? I'm wondering if I'm missing some background to the question? As in, are you unemployed because you insist on working office jobs only, even though none are available and labor jobs are plentiful?

Outside of that specific scenario I can't imagine someone being considered "wimpy" for working in an office. I've had labor jobs, even though it was clear from day one none of them were the best fit for me. It is what it is.

I think the trick to winning the perception wars is to just be a man about everything, do what you have to do, and in the rare case some tough guy gives you a hard time, just bounce his head off the wall. At least that's what works for me.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I moved from an area where I came up around office jobs,now I'm in an area with mostly labor jobs. I'm also alot older,is it considered 'whimpy' if I don't now work at some labor job...since there's not much else around?
It's wimpy to work any job with an under $100K/year salary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment