U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 AM

225 posts, read 432,415 times

Advertisements

I received a verbal job offer yesterday from the HR rep of a company I interviewed with last week. It's for a supervisor position and the current supervisor there now is leaving the first week of November. So HR called and we discussed salary, start date, etc. and she said they really, really want me to start October 9th (two weeks from now), so that the current supervisor would have time to train me before he leaves. She said she would send the offer and benefits packet to me in an email yesterday but I never received it. So for me to start October 9th, I would have to put in my resignation today. But I'm wondering when I should follow up with her about the offer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,102,036 times
Followup today and tell her that in order to ensure an October 9 start date, you'll need the final offer package in hand today so that you can turn in your 2-week notice to your current employer.

Theoretically, you COULD turn in your notice first thing Monday morning and have it be a 2-week notice - but you'd need to do it first thing Monday morning when you get into work.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 AM

5,337 posts, read 6,230,965 times
Verbal offers come and go. Signed offers too sometimes. Don't lose what you have for something that's not more firm.

I keep applying, until I sign something. It has not failed me yet. I have been employed for over 20 years.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 AM

21,009 posts, read 12,688,432 times
Follow up today with a call then email if no response.

As mentioned above tell them if they want you to start on that date you need the offer letter so you can give your current employer proper two weeks of notice.

If you still don't get an offer letter by end of today, then I would be wary of such an inflexible and inconsiderate company. Whatever you do, do not short change your current employer by making it a one week notice due to delay on your future employer's part (and no need to create a separate thread asking if it's ok to give only a one week notice).

A verbal offer ain't worth anything. Don't tempt fate by putting in a two week notice in the assumption you will soon get that offer letter. People have burned themselves on this foolishness.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:10 PM

225 posts, read 432,415 times
I got the call and letter!! The HR rep was in a meeting all morning but we worked through lunch and sent it to me. Such anxiety!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM

5,337 posts, read 6,230,965 times
Thank you so much for providing an update. You did a great job on following through with the advice from others. It worked out beautifully.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,338,730 times
Unfortunately, I've only had 1 company in my entire career when the timeline they gave me during verbal offer (when it by end of day today or tomorrow) actually held true.

I still remember it - I left the interview at lunch, they said they'd get it to me EOD. 5pm past nothing, got it around 8pm LOL

But all others have been like within a week from verbal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or