Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:36 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
That's what I'm facing right now with my bachelor's degree. The paper isn't enough, and neither are my prior job experiences. So I'm at a loss of what to do or where to go to provide some stability and get the ball rolling on jobs I could start a career on.

Did you network or do internships while in college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I hate to tell you this but a college degree rarely gives you the true skill set for any job. It merely opens the door to your career. It is what you do with that open door that matters. The same with a Masters degree. It gets you in the door but it is up to you how you use it. Jay

Old 09-23-2017, 12:45 PM

43 posts, read 49,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Did you network or do internships while in college?
Unfortunately, no. So now I'm in the process of regretting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I hate to tell you this but a college degree rarely gives you the true skill set for any job. It merely opens the door to your career. It is what you do with that open door that matters. The same with a Masters degree. It gets you in the door but it is up to you how you use it. Jay

That's kind of what I'm hoping for with a Master's, is it to then leverage it. Because you're right, I really didn't during my undergrad :/

Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Heck, even a medical degree doesn't give you the skill set to become a doctor, knowledge and information, yes. That's why MD's spend 3-7 years doing a residency after graduating, to gain their skill set for their future profession.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
That's kind of what I'm hoping for with a Master's, is it to then leverage it. Because you're right, I really didn't during my undergrad :/
Why can't you do that now with undergrad?

Saying you'll do better later with the master's is pointless

Part of a masters is what you bring going into it. More you bring, the more you get out of it. How do you know who to network with or what things to learn as a focus?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Why can't you do that now with undergrad?

Saying you'll do better later with the master's is pointless

Part of a masters is what you bring going into it. More you bring, the more you get out of it. How do you know who to network with or what things to learn as a focus?

I mean if I could have, I would have earlier when I first realized what I did wrong. Post-graduation I wasn't able to get jobs because I lacked significant/relevant experience and did not network when I was in college. After graduation, I did what I could with what I had at the time and with what I knew best when I quickly realized I messed up. Which put me in a situation where I was struggling to even find a job TO leverage anything haha.

A master's opens up those doors back up in a way that not going back to school couldn't.. at least in my mind at this moment

Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
I'm not seeing that door... how does a masters give you a competitive edge?

Reason being any jobs that requires a masters would also want people with experience in addition to the masters

You aren't competing against people without a masters degree to your "future" masters. You apply for jobs at the same competitive level as the degree is in. You won't be competitive with the masters against other master degree holders.

Or did you want to be the shift supervisor at Starbucks with a masters instead of the barista with a bachelors?

Old 09-23-2017, 04:42 PM

254 posts, read 458,457 times
Statistics masters degrees will get you a job making 70-90k right out of college. Upper range is if you use your electives to take comp sci classes. Statisticians who can program will make six figures 2-3 years in. It will be mostly math and they will want calculus 1-3 and linear algebra.

Some masters degrees do teach skills...but they tend to be really hard skills. No easy non-technical masters degrees will open doors for you.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Statistics masters degrees will get you a job making 70-90k right out of college. Upper range is if you use your electives to take comp sci classes. Statisticians who can program will make six figures 2-3 years in. It will be mostly math and they will want calculus 1-3 and linear algebra.

Some masters degrees do teach skills...but they tend to be really hard skills. No easy non-technical masters degrees will open doors for you.
Wanted to say thanks to you for actually answering the question instead of debating semantics.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,095 times
Post Bacc Comp Sci from Oregon State. You probably won't get into a good masters without the undergrad prerequisites so just do an accelerated second bachelors in the most in demand field. This program can be done online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment