Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:35 PM

43 posts, read 49,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Post Bacc Comp Sci from Oregon State. You probably won't get into a good masters without the undergrad prerequisites so just do an accelerated second bachelors in the most in demand field. This program can be done online.
I'll definitely look into it, I've seen good things said about it already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,604,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
My Bachelor's degree didn't give me any real skill-set for jobs. What Master's degree would?

I currently have a BBA and it's not very helpful.

In a situation in which your BA degree is regarded as "useless", you have a few options:

1) Go back to school for a in-demand degree. Accounting, nursing etc.... Though I am not sure if an MBA or a Masters is of any value unless you had solid work experience first.

2) Possible to self study for a skill in that is in-demand. I often hear about people finding jobs after going through a coding boot camp, without having to back to school for a computer science degree.

3) Assuming you are looking into a creative field; creating a killer portfolio may be enough to get you in even if you don't have the specific degree.

4) Apply for the lowest level office work that typically don't require a specific degree. Data entry, customer service, customer support etc..

As for the not doing any extra stuff during undergrad, that is regrettable but can't be helped. You can't go back in time, so you have to focus on the now.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:30 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
Degrees don't give you skill sets.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Degrees don't give you skill sets.
Depends. A medical degree, law degree, or a computer science degree does provide you with a skillset. Problem is many people choose to major in areas (particularly liberal arts) that do not leave them with hard marketable skills.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:17 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
My MSEE with a focus on analog and microwave electronics gave me skills that qualified me for quite few jobs that pay over $100K per year. Although I now retired, I still get pinged for new jobs and I can easily do consulting.

But to get there the training starts in grade school. You really do need to learn all that Math and Physics stuff just to get into a decent engineering school for your BS degree.

What's important is not the degree but the skill set. You need to be able to solve a problem for a potential client or employer. You need to be able to deliver about 10X of value for your pay to an employer.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Depends. A medical degree, law degree, or a computer science degree does provide you with a skillset. Problem is many people choose to major in areas (particularly liberal arts) that do not leave them with hard marketable skills.
The problem is you are entry level no matter how much education you have. Your skill level provided by a degree is very limited or you wouldn't be entry level. A skill set is more something developed through years of experience.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
It's like shooting in the dark, unless you know what career you want.

Check out the meetups for different professionals and see what you like. Once you have a career in mind, keep going. Ask those guys how to get started.

Go to career skills classes and workshops. You will learn more out there than in here.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
The problem is you are entry level no matter how much education you have. Your skill level provided by a degree is very limited or you wouldn't be entry level. A skill set is more something developed through years of experience.
I mentioned that further up the thread. A medical degree gives you the basic knowledge and information, but no real skills. You start to develop you skills during your 3 to 7 year residency and continue to develop your skills throughout your career.

Heck, newly graduated MD's are not even fully licensed yet, they still have to pass Step 3 of the USMLE which is usually taken at the end or after your 1st residency year. It's not like on Day 1 for a surgical resident, they say, OK perform this heart and lung transplant while we stand over here and grade you!

I think it's probably the same for a JD, you have the basic knowledge and information to be a lawyer, but need to develop your skill set after you pass the bar and start to practice.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:47 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
My Bachelor's degree didn't give me any real skill-set for jobs. What Master's degree would?

I currently have a BBA and it's not very helpful.
You'd be better off getting a Bachelor's degree in a field like engineering or a technical discipline rather than getting a Master's in business. Or go into IT where you don't even need a degree. You will never get a return on your investment on the Master's degree.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Not everyone is temperamentally suited for every job. The person who's suited to be a code monkey sitting in a cube may not be happy doing a sales job where he/she is constantly interacting with people. The person who's suited to be a mechanic or machinist may not be happy as an accountant sitting in a cube working with numbers all day. I have zero desire to work in a medical field with its messiness and body fluids, for example. It's more than what's a desirable skill set. Go into something you can't stand and you'll be back here in five years asking about what else you can do that might be a better fit.

Start with figuring out what would be a reasonably good fit for ou, then pursue whatever training is needed to make yourself marketable for that kind of job. Skills are not relevant - almost anyone can for example learn the skills to adequately perform most jobs (though some may take longer to do so, and that doesn't mean they'd be happy in that job). And as people here have pointed out, a Master's degree isn't going to give you skills -- I have Master's degrees in computer science and clinical psychology, and little of what I studied for my computer science degree has been used in my tech career (though the material I studied in clinical psychology has been more relevant for my work in that field).

My advice is, start by taking the Self-Directed Search here (cost: 9.95USD):

SDS | Self Directed Search | Online Career Guidance Test

It's one of the most common tests career counselors and coaches use to help people look into career selection or change. You'll get a report that suggests careers you might look into that people with your career personality profile tend to find satisfying. It will give you O*Net numbers for each career, with links to the O*Net Online page describing the career's skill set, training needed, job prospects for the coming years, etc. It won't magically give you the one right career for you -- because no such things exist -- but it will give you a starting point.

Here's the O*Net Online link:

https://www.onetonline.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment