Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:03 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,020,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriko88 View Post
I thought I am not a people person (a bit bipolar, better at meeting new people but not getting easily into deep relationships) and was even thinking about going into IT. However, I’ve noticed I get bored with the typical desktop/computer jobs. The job I enjoyed the most is the one in direct sales where I was going every day to different addresses meeting lots of people for a while. But the pay was a joke.

It downed on me: while I tend to keep to myself when in an open office with a team of about 10 people I see every day (I guess I get bored fast), I actually like meeting new people, talking to them, discussing issues (also some small talk to break the ice), without having to see the same people every day.

I know cashiers have similar jobs to that descriptions, but in fact they just do their jobs and the clients leave them alone until the next one. And the pay sucks! Hotels on the other hand tend to be very stressful and you have to start down from a picolo or in the reception. I'm almost 30, have no time to waste always on entry-level jobs lol.

I was thinking something where I can meet with both individuals and groups of people, talk with them about issues in the community, economy, how we can some problems, etc. Something adequately payed and where I can dress formally (I look much better in formal clothing )

Someone suggested the right job for me would be… a politician or a public official that meets with people. Or a manager in a company. But how can one get into politics or be promoted to management without first doing boring, administrative work on a desk all day? Do you are a career in politics would be good for me? Another suitable for me suggested by a career adviser was a manager in agriculture, but I know nothing about agriculture. I have a Business Administration degree and one in Communication. I had the best marks in the courses Law, Politics, Management, Psychology and Political History. Maybe the answer was there all along? Any suggestions/opinions are welcome!
You can dress up formally and post in this forum. Its well heard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,566,864 times
Sounds like you need to work on dealing with life and not being bored over everything. The world isn't there to entertain you especially at work. It's called work not fiesta time.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:31 AM

23,401 posts, read 23,819,817 times
Outside Sales & Marketing.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 PM

4,850 posts, read 3,626,344 times
R&F consultant

Old 09-28-2017, 01:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,806,376 times
I agree with outside sales. I worked in IT/AV technology for years at a big company and we dealt with dozens of outside sales reps for different products we buy. From what I can see the outside sales guys for different software and hardware vendors spend most of their time traveling to client sites for meetings, presentations, sales pitches and to take key decision makers out to lunch/dinner/drinks on their company's dime. If you can find the right company there is plenty of money to be made. The sales guys I used to deal with were basically guaranteed big orders every year from our company and all they really had to do is show up and be personable but decisions to buy or renew were usually already made.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:55 PM

21,717 posts, read 24,957,207 times
Waitress, bartender, nurse, bank teller. Too many jobs to list in any number of fields require interacting with people.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:04 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,990,477 times
Something in education would probably fit. Either a customer service role or an educator.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:48 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,179,713 times
Adult entertainer

Old 09-28-2017, 05:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,788,401 times
Be a trainer. Most industries have them but you will usually do 1-3 day classes for different groups. Software, retail, etc.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Financial Planner?

I was thinking the same or a Banking Manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment