Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,197,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriko88 View Post
Of course any kind of management would be OK as well but I'd only put up with a pc-based entry position in administration/politics.
So, you want to start in the middle or the top and you want to call the shots. Sounds like a plan for success to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:58 PM

92 posts, read 72,954 times
I am already working in the low levels, ain't I? Or do you think you should always start from the bottom at every work place? Life's too short to always start from the bottom.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,713,661 times
The problem is, unless you have experience to bring with you when you start a new type of job, you always have to start at the bottom. No job is going to take someone without experience doing that type of job, and start them anywhere but at the bottom. It takes time and experience on doing any job before you become effective enough to earn trained worker income.

The company will lose more money getting you trained, than you are worth to the company until you get the training and get the experience to do the job and be worth the average pay for that particular job.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 PM

3,621 posts, read 2,894,885 times
30? thats young. How tall are you? How about a backup point guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers. They always need help for Lebron.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,691,612 times
Sell real estate.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:04 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,439,014 times
Health Club membership sales - you would work with mostly males and meet a variety of members that are there who are either interested and well versed in fitness or are starting from scratch, frightened and desperate to get healthy and help themselves. People that walk in are there because they have been thinking about or are interested in getting healthy so touring and selling the memberships is not that difficult. Cold calling and getting referrals from members is a bit more challenging but it is just a matter of picking up a phone or building relationships with the members so they are eager to refer their friends to you. The more you invest in your growth in becoming a great salesperson, the more money you earn and the more you learn to overcome your shyness and grow. You can actually do your best business building relationships with the person that is out of shape and there to improve their health because they typically have friends and family in the same situation and are eager to bring them in to the club.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 AM

What about a manager in a governmental agency or a politician?

Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,633,279 times
Quote:
What about a manager in a governmental agency or a politician?
You have to have a background to get into a field like that. Community organizing may be a way to get started with that. I'm not sure what community organizing looks like abroad but it would be a good place to start.

Even though it's a female dominated world I would look into social work and social services. Also probation officers or something like that. FWIW, there are many people that start out in social work at a later time in their lives. I was one of the younger members of many of my classes in grad school and I was 25. Medical sales and marketing also. I work in a hospital setting and the people that sell me on their facilities seem like you.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,713,661 times
Quote:
I am already working in the low levels, ain't I? Or do you think you should always start from the bottom at every work place? Life's too short to always start from the bottom.
What the problem on this thread, is the posters have no idea of the problems this young man faces. They do not understand it is a real problem for him.

To understand, you need to know what Bi-Polar condition really entails. As I stated earlier I have a Grandson who is Bi Polar. Smart as can be in some ways, but due to the Bi Polar condition cannot stay focused to perform at his best. I have known several young people with this problem over the years, and have employed some, so I am very aware of the problems this young man faces. Read and learn.

Bi-polar disorder | definition of Bi-polar disorder by Medical dictionary

His quote above, says a lot. He and many Bi-Polar people, cannot understand why they have to start at the bottom in a new profession and work their way into the job. Other things he has said, was He would like to be a manager, but does not want to do the bottom jobs to learn the employment ways of doing things, but wants to start as a Manager.

He is very bad at math according to him. The concentration math requires, is something that Bi-Polar men and woman are not really good at.

I want to tell you about my Grandson. He came here for a weeks vacation. He wanted to earn some money, and at 16 old enough to do jobs. I told him I would give him $20 an hour (far above what he could really earn anywhere else. We have an acre of lawn. I taught him to use our Tractor Mower to mow it. He mowed about 20 minutes, starting getting bored, and lucky we have a shut off if one gets out of the seat for safety. He just got off of it and walked into the house and played computer games, etc. If it had not shut off by itself, he would have left it running. I had gotten $300 in $20 bills to pay him with. I gave him one of them, and he thought I would have given him the whole $300 as he felt he had done a lot of work.

Talk to him, and he is intelligent, but he cannot concentrate long enough to do a job with any concentration needed. He can write quite well, but as soon as he is left alone, he wants to just do something else.

Jobs suggested were things like Tax Accountant (Boy talk about someone that has to be sharp and meticulous with good math skills, is an accountant). OP says he is not good at math, and he does not have the concentration to do this kind of job.

Suggested Police Officer. He would not get through the Interview process.

And the same for the other jobs suggested. Suggest Sales. Believe me, he is not capable of this type of work.

Suggested Real Estate Sales. 85% of all those that enter as Real Estate Agents without any problems or handicaps, fail out of the business and many never make their first sale.

Some suggested the Military. With his problems, he is an automatic Reject.

This young man has problems, and he needs professional help to guide him into work that would agree with him.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 AM

^Yes, I understand that. But I am not particularly interested in any area, aside from just communicating with people. So several years on a desk job would take their toll on me. I always get bored and depressed by the constant inactive sitting all day in front of a monitor.

Journalism and teaching require lots of communication, but they don't pay well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment