Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

What are some tips one can use to apply to jobs far, far away?

Some of the tips I've seen are for targeted relocations. As in you already have a place you'd like to live in and it's one specific place. But what if you are applying to multiple areas in the country, what can you do?

What if I'm applying to jobs in Maine, Florida, and North Dakota? Texas, Washington, and Illinois? Georgia, Pennsylvania and Colorado?

Some have said you need to move there, take some lower paying local job, then work your way up over a year or two to get a better one. But I don't have the savings nor the experience to even land a "poor" paying job that would afford rent in most places while I found something better in my field. McDonalds won't pay rent, that's for sure. I have college debt, not savings. In fact for many people trying to relocate, those lower paying jobs in the related field are the ones I'm trying to land in the first place. And again, I don't have a specific city in mind. I'd move to Fairbanks or San Juan if it meant getting a job in my field.

I've heard about a PO box. That seems plausible if you have a few cities in mind. The rate for a PO box varies by post office and city. Some I've seen are at $16 for three months, some I've seen go up to $36. Use this to put into the address fields on many job applications to get past the software. Unfortunately omitting address from the resume does not omit the address field they make you enter, even after already attaching the resume.

Are there any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Are there any other ideas?
I feel this is one of those things that is highly variable depending on your field of employment and even among people with similar work experiences and in the same field. I'm in scientific research (mainly academia) and have been able to apply to non-local jobs and get them.

I was living in Pennsylvania and got a job down in Antarctica (company was based out of Centennial, CO). While in Antarctica (address was Pennsylvania), I got a job in North Carolina and most recently, I got a job in South Carolina while living in Arizona. With the last example, I was applying for jobs in New Mexico, Oregon, Kansas, Pennsylvania and South Carolina and had maybe 3 or 4 different phone interviews and 10 or 11 Skype interviews from the 50-60 jobs I applied for.

I hear some people in IT, with the right skill set, can somewhat easily be able to get jobs 2000 miles or more away from where they are currently living. People in healthcare, like doctors and nurses and other healthcare professionals, also probably have an easier time, since their skill set is more in demand than say someone in HR or administration.

I've heard of "using a local address trick" to at least get past the bot that screens applications, but I've never done that. My question to those people who have done it, is what happens when it comes time to interview, if you make it that far? Eventually you are going to have to explain why you have a local address, PO Box or otherwise, and actually live 2500 miles away.

Even if you remove your current address on the top of your resume/CV, what about your work history, do you omit the locations there as well, especially your current place of employment? I think most people would probably be able to connect the dots (from their current place of employment, unless you work remotely) and figure out that a certain person is currently not living near the job they are applying for.

Last edited by cjseliga; 09-29-2017 at 05:51 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 05:59 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
OP: It depends upon you field of interest.

If you have highly specialized skills, the companies will come after you and pay the cost of interview trips and maybe even relocation.

But if you are in a field where they can easily find local folks, that's what they will do.

You need to create a path of least resistance that leads to you.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Right now I've got applications in all over the country. Since 2012 I've worked in CT, GA and HI. If they want you they'll hire you. For your part you should do your homework on each area, have enough saved up to make the move and find housing AND you should be able to do so in a reasonable amount of time. Two weeks notice is customary so the hiring agency shouldn't balk at that. With any luck they will give you more time.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I am in the process of filling two positions, and one applicant is about halfway across the country. Because he is well qualified we will offer a Skype interview, but with this being a lower level job starting at only about $50-60k, it would be difficult for the person to find housing on that here. His current location rent averages half of what it is here. Still, if the best qualified, we would make an offer contingent upon being here within a reasonable time frame. We do not pay for people to fly out except for executive level positions, and in this case I would hate to have the person pay for that, since we have 16 other candidates, making for poor odds.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Use a local made up address. Or write a cover letter than says you can relocate immediately and will pay for the expenses.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:53 PM

709 posts, read 656,397 times
I just moved from WI to TX, in a fairly in-demand field. The relocation wasn't an issue. In fact, my new job partially paid for my relocation down here to TX.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 AM

416 posts, read 408,514 times
I find it always helps to make it clear in the cover letter that you are moving regardless of their particular job. Mention casually what part of town you will be living in and some connection you have to that area. You want to separate yourself from the resumes that are blasted to every job on earth.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Some have said you need to move there, take some lower paying local job,
then work your way up over a year or two to get a better one.

But I don't have the savings nor the experience to even land a "poor" paying job...
Then do that skill building where you are now.

When you're actually qualified to do something... the world will look very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment