Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:57 PM

685 posts, read 1,100,179 times

Advertisements

I have re-entered the workforce and still deciding I want to do long-term. For now, I accepted a part-time job in a franchise type tutoring center. It's in the field of my last degree and thought it would be a good "experience" type job and well, a resume filler for the big gap I now have. A few things I wasn't thrilled with off the bat. Salary is around min. wage (I think) and below what they advertised in the listing. Hiring director did not give me an "exact" wage either during the interview. I was told my hours would be "no more then 20 hours but around that" and then asked my availability. While training I then get told the hours would now vary I just finished my "training" which was no more then "shadowing" a tutor for a few hours over the course of a few days (who I don't think enjoyed me being there). The other days, I did computer based training. The computer training IMO was a joke, VERY fast paced and I frantically took notes on what the grading/logging system is, while being told to "not memorize stuff." It even stated to write in my workbook and practice log book, yet I was given NONE of this from management. I asked management if I could have print outs of the slides for reference, and was told no bc they are trying to conserve paper. The director later on questioned me why it took so long to complete the computer training and that I must have been pressing the pause button a lot I didn't know I was now being timed and watched lol.

Third day in (and not even done with training), I was thrown on the floor with a student bc of a call out and made to tutor for 3 hours. I did pretty well, I think, but was a little confused with some parts. I get my schedule for the week and I've been given drumroll, a whopping 4 hours!! And I'm betting this will be the amount of hours I will be given for a long time to come. My biggest issue is yesterday was my first "actual" full day, and I am still very confused and unsure about one part of the curriculum, particularly, how to implement the tests. The fellow tutors on the floor with me that day, pretty much were retirement age or near that and one even had to ask me if I was a teacher (don't think I look that young). The sessions take place with sometimes 2-3 other kids and 2-3 other tutors in the room so it gets extremely loud and distracting. My student complained the entire time about the noise level. It also felt like I was being watched by the tutor in the room and when I asked her 1 simple question, it was almost like it pained her to answer me. When I left the room to go to the bathroom, either her or another tutor, then questioned my student what he was doing with me. I get that she has her own work to do, but in all honesty, I don't feel adequately trained on how to implement all the part of the program. We then ran out of time, and I may have made a slight mistake with the last part of the work. Granted, this was my first "real day" not in training anymore, but this place is ALWAYS hiring, like literally one that is always on craigslist and indeed, and from reviews I read about the franchise AFTER I accepted the job, the company has a huge turnover rate. It also seemed like all the other workers have been for ages, which makes me think, where have all the "new" employees gone?

So just curious, since I feel like this is pretty much sink or swim and I won't really have anyone I can ask for assistance, would you jump ship? I really, really would rather NOT be fired if I don't "get" things quick enough and would like a job I can actually list on my resume? I've never been fired from a job before. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 10:42 PM

674 posts, read 601,779 times
Nothing good is going to come out of this job. I'd quit if I were you. Unless, of course, if you absolutely need the $ to live on.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Nothing good is going to come out of this job. I'd quit if I were you. Unless, of course, if you absolutely need the $ to live on.
Nope. My husband is the main pay check. I was using this job, like I posted above, for experience in the field and for my resume. With 4 hours a week, I can pay one bill lol..

Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,480,577 times
Quote:
New part-time job may be sink or swim? Quit?
I saw the wall of text... it was sink or swim? I quit reading instead after you said you thought it was around minimum wage... you agreed to it when you started, why are you making it an issue now after accepting?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I saw the wall of text... it was sink or swim? I quit reading instead after you said you thought it was around minimum wage... you agreed to it when you started, why are you making it an issue now after accepting?
Because it wasn't listed as min. wage. I guess I should have worded it as a bait and switch with pay. And you are correct, I 100% accepted it. I added it to give you info on how they seem to be doing things. Like getting me onboard and almost done with training and finding out about changing schedules (which wasn't disclosed) and stuff like that. Moreso, I'm more concerned if this is the type of place that will give me a chance, or two, and if I don't pick up on stuff fast enough (even though their training sucked), I'll get the boot.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:02 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,894 times
Sounds like this company's policy is too squeeze as much as possible out of its employees and give them as little as they can, in return. The lack of specific information about wages and hours, just allows them more flexibility to give even less, when you come to work. With your level of education, I would look further and find a better opportunity.

I worked at such a job once and saw a secret directive that recommended as much as 40% of their workload be done by part-time employees, who were paid a fee for each piece of work, with no benefits. There was no training invested in them and the customers got a less valuable product. That company is now involved in a big scandal that may bring them down.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 AM

29,442 posts, read 22,361,743 times
Run and don't look back.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,480,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Because it wasn't listed as min. wage. I guess I should have worded it as a bait and switch with pay. And you are correct, I 100% accepted it. I added it to give you info on how they seem to be doing things. Like getting me onboard and almost done with training and finding out about changing schedules (which wasn't disclosed) and stuff like that. Moreso, I'm more concerned if this is the type of place that will give me a chance, or two, and if I don't pick up on stuff fast enough (even though their training sucked), I'll get the boot.
but you accepted it... if you accepted that bait and switch, why aren't you accepting the other bait and switch involved with the job?

it should have been your clue to get in line with the organization or leave from the start

Old 10-01-2017, 12:49 AM

6,320 posts, read 4,789,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Advice?
Go in Monday morning and hand in your written resignation. Say something like "Thank you for the opportunity but I find that this is not a good fit. I'll finish out the day if you like but I won't be back."

Old 10-01-2017, 04:38 AM

4,858 posts, read 2,636,321 times
Default Awful Company

The management in this company is abysmal. They don't know what they are doing if they can't train their employees properly and use bait and switch tactics. I would leave this place and find something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment