Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 PM

119 posts, read 68,441 times

Advertisements

I have a sales background (copiers) and am doing a career change (most likely to teaching). I think b2b copier sales currently pays around $35-39 in the upper Midwest but it has a high churn rate.

I am not sure how much you made in admissions but there are other entry level jobs that might pay more. Maybe the postal office, or claims adjuster, for instance....

Or maybe with your experience you could be a consultant for people trying to get into top notch schools. But it would likely take time to find clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 AM

182 posts, read 264,306 times
I'm in the same situation, only older than you. I'm 45 and have been in broadcasting most of my career and am ready for something else.

I decided to teach myself to code for web development with all the free resources available. I wish I had done so years ago because I love it and am catching on really fast. It's definitely challenging work, which is why it pays well. I've had to go back and re-watch and re-do a lot until I got the hang of it, but it's worth it.

The future is pretty much computers and the Internet of Everything, so it's good job security to have. Cars and houses are going to be run from the internet and they need people to code the software and apps for people to run it all.

If you're good at it and can get unique websites and apps up and running on your own in your spare time, you will get hired. This goes for anyone who happens upon this thread. You do need salesmanship and creativity, so that experience will come in handy.

I started with the below website and with Codecademy and watching Youtube videos for beginners and am having a blast.

https://learntocodewith.me/posts/code-for-free/

From what I've read, once you have your own projects going, you make a .pdf resume with links included to your work and send them off, though you may have to start with a temp agency first, but even junior front end developers can make like $70K depending on where you are.

Plus, it being the internet and with video conferencing, with some employers you can work remotely and live in a low cost of living area if you want to.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 AM

115 posts, read 82,537 times
[quote=Gentleman Jason;49854451]I'm in the same situation, only older than you. I'm 45 and have been in broadcasting most of my career and am ready for something else.

I decided to teach myself to code for web development with all the free resources available. I wish I had done so years ago because I love it and am catching on really fast. It's definitely challenging work, which is why it pays well. I've had to go back and re-watch and re-do a lot until I got the hang of it, but it's worth it.

It seems that is what is happening a lot in todays job market. Seems like theres some sort of expectation now that people have to develop job skills on their own? Ive watched some programs recently that spoke to this new "train yourself" ideal and its very interesting. At the same time I dont know how to teach myself on the things that will actually work for me but maybe theres something to it. Many of the jobs ive looked at in marketing want some kind of experience with SEO related data. While I fully understand how it works I guess maybe I need to come up with my own case study to present in a portfolio. Sounds like something I should have been doing in college. Go figure...

Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
Bump.

I have received a great deal of information from people here and I am truly appreciative. However, I took that new information and found job areas that are an even better fit for me and im still not getting calls back. Reluctantly, I think maybe people following this thread could offer more help with specific information about my background. Im fairly confident no one associated with my company is on here so here it goes:

Over the last 12 -13 years I have done the following:

4yr retail sales - best buy/At&T wireless
1yr management training - enterprise rental
1yr - admissions(sales/marketing) - AI
3yr - admissions (sales/marketing)- Everest college
6 mo - admissions (sales/marketing) - Heritage college
2yr - career services (sales/marketing/recruiting)- TWS- current job

Can anyone offer any areas or even companies that could use me for something just above entry level?
Do your job titles show progression? I know you mentioned you may have made some lateral moves but having over 10 years of work experience, I would expect to see some type of progression from junior titles to more senior ones. If your story is that even though you jumped around a bit, your skills are transferable to other industries, then you should be able to show how you were able to capitalize on this in the past to get higher titles.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Do your job titles show progression? I know you mentioned you may have made some lateral moves but having over 10 years of work experience, I would expect to see some type of progression from junior titles to more senior ones. If your story is that even though you jumped around a bit, your skills are transferable to other industries, then you should be able to show how you were able to capitalize on this in the past to get higher titles.
I would consider my current position a small move up but very small. Only as the school I work for is more of a high volume company than some of the others ive worked with. I have jumped around somewhat but mainly because the schools end up closing their doors or downsizing their staff. I was laid off for downsizing twice and once I was able to get ahead of the game and find a job before the place shut down. This is the primary reason why I want out of this industry for good. My current company is already starting to fall into many of the same negative practices that I have seen in the past. They are very healthy financially but they have made it clear that the health company comes first. We started our fiscal year this month with several demotions of good people, annual raises stripped away from everyone, and all available resources shifted to the front end (sales). Meanwhile, performance metrics are up in every department including my own. Me and my team had our best year ever last year and we got 0 recognition, no raises, and obnoxiously increased metrics for the coming year. This kind of business has become the norm for educational institutions that have decided to remain on the for profit side of the business rather than going non profit. I have decided that ive truly seen enough and I need to make my exit into something totally unrelated.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 AM

609 posts, read 505,940 times
If you like Marketing, have you thought about taking courses in Digital marketing and Data Analytics?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
If you like Marketing, have you thought about taking courses in Digital marketing and Data Analytics?
I do have a knack for those areas for sure. To be honest, within my bachelor program for Graphic Design I found myself many times more interested in Marketing data more than the design. We were required to take many of the advanced level marketing courses to complete the program. So much that if I had stayed another 2 semesters Id have a minor in marketing. However, back then there wasnt so much focus on marketing analytics and SEO data so I really need to get educated on that part to make my knowledge relevant. Now, I just need to find somewhere with classes that I could potentially afford without federal funding... ill leave that for another thread.lol

Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 PM

58 posts, read 84,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post

The future is pretty much computers and the Internet of Everything, so it's good job security to have. Cars and houses are going to be run from the internet and they need people to code the software and apps for people to run it all.
It's crazy during my times of unemployment I could not focus on doing web design as my focus was getting a job then learning web design. I'm at the point in my life where I need to dive in once again.

The sign industry where I'm working in right now, not where I want to be.

I'm seeing myself researching everything web and discovering what programs are being used to code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment