Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 16,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Office life rule #987 - Don't be the stinky person.

But seriously - eat hot/smelly/greasy foods in the break room or outside. It's better for you anyway.
No one else could smell anything. It's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwithit4 View Post
Hello,

My current boss is very persnickety. Over the last few weeks she has made comments about my food or drink. We are allowed to have snacks at our desk. One day she commented something was "stinky"..I got home fries at Dunkin. Another day I had a Pepsi and she commented Pepsi makes her throw up.. seriously? It's getting ridiculous. I try not to feel insulted, but I am..
I think you simply have a bad boss. She probably wants to ban snacks but knows that her team would revolt so she just does the passive aggressive thing to see if she can make people quit bringing snacks and drinks voluntarily. Trust me it will get worse and eventually involve something that really matters. Unless this is the job of your dreams, I would think about getting out.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
So she made one comment, about the one time you had the fries. Did she see them before commenting that something was stinky? What else has she said about your snacks?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
So she made one comment, about the one time you had the fries. Did she see them before commenting that something was stinky? What else has she said about your snacks?
That was the first time and my first snack. Than there was the soda. The third one was about coffee. My coffee was in a bottle and it had no smell- it was a cold drink. Telling me she hates coffee and the smell

Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
A job: you do work, they give you money.
Everything else is just noise. If it bothers you too much you find another job.

This may be her way of hinting that it is time you do start looking.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
A job: you do work, they give you money.
Everything else is just noise. If it bothers you too much you find another job.

This may be her way of hinting that it is time you do start looking.
Lol ok

Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Use more traditional snacks. Believe me, people could smell your fried potatoes, they just were not bothered by it.

As for the Pepsi, I would have smiled at her and told her that I would remember that and not buy one for her.

Hint: most bosses are unpleasant, or difficult, or crazy, or ignorant, or on a power trip, or maybe all of the above. Really good bosses are extremely rare. Just smile, nod noncommittally, and do your assigned work. You have to let it just roll off of you.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:02 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
Bring curry next time

Old 10-04-2017, 01:07 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Think of it this way, you are there to work, not there to eat while working. I understand that most people would eat some snack while working, and same goes for me, but treat it as a privilege. If employer really wants to, they can just make everyone in the office to sign up some kind of form saying no eating allow, period. I am not saying your new boss is right, and I happen to have these people who I work with just like how you describe. It doesn't matter if you think it doesn't smell bad, just like how smoker doesn't feel a problem with the smell of their smoke for others, is the same concept. This is just a small problem, don't stress yourself over this small problem. Know how to deal with it and try to do it without hearing others complaint. If I was you, I would eat when my boss is not around, and I will definitely not bring anything that is warm at all, just to avoid people with these kind of attitude to come up to me.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Think of it this way, you are there to work, not there to eat while working. I understand that most people would eat some snack while working, and same goes for me, but treat it as a privilege. If employer really wants to, they can just make everyone in the office to sign up some kind of form saying no eating allow, period. I am not saying your new boss is right, and I happen to have these people who I work with just like how you describe. It doesn't matter if you think it doesn't smell bad, just like how smoker doesn't feel a problem with the smell of their smoke for others, is the same concept. This is just a small problem, don't stress yourself over this small problem. Know how to deal with it and try to do it without hearing others complaint. If I was you, I would eat when my boss is not around, and I will definitely not bring anything that is warm at all, just to avoid people with these kind of attitude to come up to me.
My drinks were cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment