Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Maybe the manager simply said it wasn't working out or maybe he was very specific. Maybe he said "I have to let you go. You're too slow for this restaurant. It takes you longer than it should to do things. I have to show you too many times how to do something."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:56 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
Advice - your son learned some valuable lessons. Move on. At 20, I'm surprised there were even comments made to you by the manager about his work performance.

There is no intervention. You have no input to go back to the manager to give. Your son is an adult and unfortunately he screwed up. The second one was definitely a bad move on your part but if he was working out they probably would not have fired him over it.
The most important lesson your son has to learn here is find a position in a career where it isn't easy to be fired. If he fails to do this he is likely to be cannon fodder for the rest of his life.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My DS is age 20, I know, many would say he's old enough to fight his own battles. However, I feel the circumstances of this situation beg my intervention.

So, advice, comments---

No.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Don't want the job, anyways, not after that

My advice to him was to live and learn. Learn never to give the wrong impression, you will be judged, and judgment can be unfair. Unfortunately, appearances are 90% of any endeavor
And you made him look like a child who couldn't fight his own battles or manage his own schedule without mommy's help.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I would wonder if they did not see your son a young man who was still really a Mommy's boy. Mommy picks him up, Mommy comes in to wait for him. Perhaps their car question was really more of a probe about his degree of independence from his parents.
In all fairness, I didn't own a car until 2001, when I was 26. This was after I had graduated from college and had my first FT, permanent job. I when had summer jobs during 1995, '97, '98, and '99 my parents gave me rides to and from work because we only had one car with 3 adults sharing it, and my dad was still working at that time (he didn't retire until 2006). We put 258,000 miles in 8 years on a '93 Voyager that had been bought new. It's really not the employer's business what an employee's transportation arrangements are, as long as they get to all of their shifts on time.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:28 PM

318 posts, read 466,969 times
You were not there so you don't what what was communicated to him or not.

Seriously.. do you think he will tell you he screwed up and got fired?!?!?! NOOOOO he's gonna blame the evil boss.

He's a big boy and needs to learn to stand up for himself in a courteous and professional manner if he thinks he was unjustly fired.

If my "mommy" ran down to my boss to get me my job back, I would be super pissed. Just saying. He is 20 years old not a little baby.

Let it go. Hopefully he will learn something from this.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Min wage jobs like that are tossers. Both sides can just walk away. Managers can fire on a whim and employees can quit on a whim the worker and job are easily replaceable.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:33 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Don't get involved. You don't need to save your son.

If kids (and 20 is more like an adult) don't learn to fight their own battles, they are weaker going through life.

Let your kid grow up and learn to fly on his own.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
OP, do you understand that "schedule mix ups" are the go to excuse for restaurant employees not showing up for work? I can almost guarantee that your son is not telling the full truth.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:45 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Your DS's former employer is running a business, not a daycare center. Someone who is old enough to be employed should be expected to understand that, not to mention being able to demonstrate at least a minimum level of common sense.

People with too many issues and problems quickly wear out their welcome, especially in a minimum-wage, high-turnover job like food service. Their employers have a business to run and really do not have the time or the resources to accommodate the snowflakes. The snowflakes can easily be replaced by others who are not so high-maintenance.

Until your son has acquired unique skills that can make a significant positive impact to an employer, he is going to need to learn to be a good employee, pay attention to schedules, and make a sincere effort not to do things that annoy his employer (like asking for the day off from his restaurant job, then showing up for lunch with the family and using his employee discount and being surprised that it was an issue). Once he becomes a superstar in whatever field he chooses to pursue, then he can become a prima donna and demand special treatment. Until then, he's going to need to be just a regular employee and meet the same demands as all the other employees.

Intervening on his behalf will simply annoy the employer further and prove that he was right to cut your DS loose at the first sign of trouble. Employers really, really don't like it when parents of employees interfere in their business decisions. This might be a good time for both mom and son to learn that. Once he starts on his professional employment track, parental interference could actually result in significant career damage. Best to get him used to navigating the work world on his own now when the stakes are very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment