Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:31 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times

Advertisements

So next months marks 18 months with my current employer. About three months ago, went out with my manager and my managers manager for drinks after work. We got a bit buzzed and without any input from me, the big boss brought up promoting me.

Since then, they haven't brought it up at all. I've been involved in management meetings and lunches where I'm the only non-manager. One of the younger managers told me it looks like I'm being groomed to get promoted.

Now I don't mind being patient but my personal life has changed over the last three months. My father passed away 6 weeks ago and now I have alot more bills on my plate. I'm not worried about money but I am going thru my savings now to cover all expenses. It's not something I want to do for a prolonged period of time.

They don't really do 6 month reviews with my position but I want to bring up the promotion talk next month. I need to know how to proceed forward with everything. I may need to relocate and such to cut down my expenses. There's alot on my plate and I could wait but it's very difficult. I feel like my life is on hold right now.

My managers are well aware of my fathers passing as I took time off for it.

I don't like involving personal life with work but this feels unavoidable.

Am I wrong? Should I wait?

Looking for advice from those who may know more than I.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:37 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,506 times
“Hello Mr./Mrs. Boss, recently you had mentioned to me that there may be opportunities for promotion here. I am very interested in committing to this company and moving up. Can we set up some time on your calendar to discuss in detail how we can work together towards this goal? Thank you, I greatly appreciate it!”

Something to that effect. Don’t bring up the personal finance stuff, that’s not really their concern.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:53 AM

416 posts, read 408,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
“Hello Mr./Mrs. Boss, recently you had mentioned to me that there may be opportunities for promotion here. I am very interested in committing to this company and moving up. Can we set up some time on your calendar to discuss in detail how we can work together towards this goal? Thank you, I greatly appreciate it!”

Something to that effect. Don’t bring up the personal finance stuff, that’s not really their concern.

Good luck!
This is perfect.

Adding to that. Keep the conversation positive. “I’ve really enjoyed working here and am proud of my accomplishments”. Don’t be aggressive about money too quickly. Schedule time to talk. Ask how you could contribute more and grow with the company. If all signs are positive then you’re primed to ask about possible comp improvements.

Semi related. Some companies have employee assistance funds or benefits. If you’re getting hit with bills and issues related to a death then there may be some help. I doubt they want you struggling, burning savings, eating top ramen and having to move. If they value you then likely they want you to be stable.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
What have you specifically done to show them you deserve more? Promotions are for people who go above and beyond and provide increased value to the company.

Quantify this value to show them.

You don't get promoted just because you have been there a while and you have cash issues.

And, to be honest, don't bring up the conversation when they said they would promote you. They probably do not remember.

Just go with facts as to why you deserve it.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

And, to be honest, don't bring up the conversation when they said they would promote you. They probably do not remember.
Why would they not remember? It’s kind of a serious thing to bring up casually and forget about. If they brought it up, they clearly have put some thought into it before. In my experience, managers don’t just casually bring up promotion opportunities with people they haven’t strongly been considering for some time.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Why would they not remember? It’s kind of a serious thing to bring up casually and forget about. If they brought it up, they clearly have put some thought into it before. In my experience, managers don’t just casually bring up promotion opportunities with people they haven’t strongly been considering for some time.
um.....cause they were both drunk when the conversation happened.....

Old 10-05-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
um.....cause they were both drunk when the conversation happened.....
Actually, buzzed is the correct word that OP used.

I personally don’t think it would be an issue to refer to the conversation that was had. If they don’t remember, then you move on to the strategy of exhibiting the reasons why you deserve the promotion. At least the conversation provides some context for the manager as to why OP is thinking about a promotion. It’s because he brought it up in the first place.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

My guess is that the boss was way too relaxed and unaware that they were giving the impression that a promotion was coming. He mentioned it while "buzzed" and then hasn't said a word since then? I'm guessing the guy was drunk.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-07-2017 at 07:41 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
Well I'm going out to dinner and drunks with managers tonight. Curious to see if this topic comes up. I would definitely do it verbally not bring it up thru an email first. Sure it would be better to send an email first but my manager isn't the type that wants a preamble to a conversation. I think the email first idea is something for people under 40.

Also, if I don't bring it up...why am I bringing it up now? That is my introduction to topic as far as I'm concerned. Coworkers from other departments have said they've talked to my manager about promoting me. Every few weeks someone asks me when am I getting promoted. People notice me here as I work for a smaller company vs huge companies like in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment