Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 04:52 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,764,154 times

Advertisements

I work in marketing communications/copywriting.

I've worked in the same copywriting position for several years. Unfortunately, my aging boss doesn't seem like she's ready to retire, and I find myself totally stagnant. My boss is very resistant to change and has taken the liberty of keeping the plum writing projects for herself, rendering me a glorified proofreader. I'm tired of not being able to utilize my writing skills to their full potential.

None of my company's current openings interest me, so I might just have to look elsewhere.

I've also begun to question whether marketing is the right field for me. I'm not the most creative person around, and marketing is really about putting your point across in the fewest words possible. Now my company is pushing for more graphics and less copy. It makes the graphic designer happy, but only leaves me more frustrated. It's as if forces are conspiring so that I can't do what I want to do the most -- write, and write a lot.

Are there any professions that involve heavy writing and don't necessarily force you to be concise? I'm not interested in going the journalism route, as I know the industry is all but dead. And technical writing -- based on my research -- seems to be another area that demands brevity.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 PM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
PR or media relations might be worth taking a look at.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,384,437 times
Law is the perfect profession for you. Legal writing is not concise and typically not very creative (there are exceptions, of course). Proper memos can be 10-50+ pages of solid text.

You could start by being a paralegal at a large law firm, though the paralegals typically only work with the less interesting stuff. There is such a thing as a research paralegal- they perform legal research and draft the skeleton of memos for the attorneys to finish; if they are very good, they can write most or all of the memo. A good paralegal can earn into the six figures. It's also a nice way to experience the legal profession before deciding whether to drop $150k on a law degree.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times
hipster blogger

Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
PR or media relations might be worth taking a look at.
Those are not writing heavy jobs though. They are more about networking and people skills.

OP, if you do have some specialized expertise, you could work on documentation.

You could also do copyediting if you don't mind taking a course.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times
no idea why copywriting is the hot thing these days...

grant writing seems to be a better job that fewer people do, or technical manual writing

Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times
I'm also in copywriting. I enjoy marketing but I wanted to branch out so I'm pursuing my marketing management degree. Currently, I have my own company and I work with a variety of clients in different industries. Mostly health, legal aid, dentistry, and a national home improvement company. Sometimes I need to be concise and other times I don't. If you're not opposed to creating your own position as a freelancer, you might enjoy the variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment