Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:12 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

I feel sort of envious of my co workers performance and I don't even know why. He's frumpy unattractive over 40 and kind of a late bloomer in life. He is for whatever reason obsessed with the job and has been for years. He basically puts his heart and soul into it and no one is quite sure why. He's not a manger but seems to want attention for The work he's done but hasn't gotten any until recently. He's become pretty arrogant knows he knows the most and of course he would with the insane hours he puts in. Even my boss isn't sure why he does what he does. I admire his performance he does a great job but with my kids I can't do the hours he does. We work in tech support and I'm not sure why he hasn't moved on to something else as he's clearly mastered his job and then some. I'm kind of just sick of him I guess. No one will ever be as good as he is and he won't leave to give someone a chance. He tells us how he will be working at like 3 in the morning on a Saturday.

Are workers like this common? I wish I didn't care but I can't help but wish I knew all he knows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:32 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Yes. I am envied at my job. Unfortunately, they have tried to sabotage me and fabricate lies to management about me. I think my manager also has a issue with how well I work.

It is a small company that has a difficult time in attracting and keeping good talent. I do not think they have had anyone like me. I am competent with a good work ethic. That is about it. I just do my job. I am complimented with insults.

I do not fit the culture but the job has a lot to offer me. As soon as my goals are met, I will leave.

It is good that you are aware that you are jealous. The issue is yours not his. It is really none of your business why he chooses to stay. Keep your eyes on your own paper. It is very hurtful when people who are less competent try to hurt others. I am going through a lot because of this. The truth is that you do not know anything about his situation. Why don't you find another job where you feel more comfortable?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Well my job is flexible and I have a 1 yr and 3 yr old so I'm still there for that reason. I'm scared to leave right now. One day I will. Until then I guess I just have to put up with things like this

I would never hurt him. I like him as a person but he is tough competition and he brags a lot. So quite honestly I've been liking him less lately. He has no kids.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 PM

439 posts, read 345,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I feel sort of envious of my co workers performance and I don't even know why. He's frumpy unattractive over 40 and kind of a late bloomer in life. He is for whatever reason obsessed with the job and has been for years. He basically puts his heart and soul into it and no one is quite sure why. He's not a manger but seems to want attention for The work he's done but hasn't gotten any until recently. He's become pretty arrogant knows he knows the most and of course he would with the insane hours he puts in. Even my boss isn't sure why he does what he does. I admire his performance he does a great job but with my kids I can't do the hours he does. We work in tech support and I'm not sure why he hasn't moved on to something else as he's clearly mastered his job and then some. I'm kind of just sick of him I guess. No one will ever be as good as he is and he won't leave to give someone a chance. He tells us how he will be working at like 3 in the morning on a Saturday.

Are workers like this common? I wish I didn't care but I can't help but wish I knew all he knows
Pity him but also be proud of him. He has a job he is doing well at. You have what counts, you have a family. Poor guy.

Maybe you can offer support to him via your family? That will certainly deter him from the job if he has no family. But is not a admiral motivation on your part. Be unconcerned about him otherwise, you have a family so he is just doing the best in life as he can do. Same as you

Old 10-07-2017, 04:55 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
I wouldn't be jealous of someone obviously underemployed. I would pity the poor guy. He's obviously too qualified to be doing what he's doing and the crappy company has pigeon holed him. Like so many of these crappy companies do today

Old 10-07-2017, 05:02 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Well my job is flexible and I have a 1 yr and 3 yr old so I'm still there for that reason. I'm scared to leave right now. One day I will. Until then I guess I just have to put up with things like this

I would never hurt him. I like him as a person but he is tough competition and he brags a lot. So quite honestly I've been liking him less lately. He has no kids.
Do you think he is good because he does not have kids? You sound like a person with a lot of excuses. The woman that is harassing me does not have small children. She just does not want to work. I often wonder what her kids are like. What does she teach her children? It is really sad and scary people are like this.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:44 PM

He maybe is underemployed but at the same time he only got his bachelors in 2014 or so and prior to this he was in a similar role. He just seems hell bent on being a star at this company. He told me he thought about quitting a few times, felt he was treated unfairly and taken advantage of but he will not leave. He has calmed down but apparently he is anxious about work all the time. He was laid off from his last job. He says he feels like he's invested so much of himself. He likely would make more if he went somewhere else but I think he enjoys having the most knowledge of anyone on the team and would not have that at a new place. He doesn't even seem interested in switching depts. so he's basically in an entry level position at 42 but is extremely good at it and goes above and beyond like no one else would. In the end I really don't know if it will pay off for him. He has no management experience and i think that will hold him back. I think he's hoping he'll have a chance at a manger position in our dept. I'm curious as to whether one will be created for him. He must make my boss feel like crap at times but at the same time my boss is the one managing like 20 people

Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
I feel sort of envious of my co workers performance and I don't even know why. He's frumpy unattractive over 40 and kind of a late bloomer in life. He is for whatever reason obsessed with the job and has been for years. He basically puts his heart and soul into it and no one is quite sure why. He's not a manger but seems to want attention for The work he's done but hasn't gotten any until recently. He's become pretty arrogant knows he knows the most and of course he would with the insane hours he puts in. Even my boss isn't sure why he does what he does. I
Why not just leave the guy alone? He is not hurting you.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
You admire his work ethic? You wish you could put your heart and soul into your own work, but you don't want to? You admire that he seems like a serious, career person while you're just doing your job for the money? Lots of possibilities, and I obviously don't know what you're thinking and what your insecurities are!

Work-wise, I'm usually jealous of people who have a clear career direction and who make a LOT more money than I do.

As for him, not everyone wants to move up. It's like asking an admin assistant why they don't want to be come a manager. Or someone in AP and AR for 20 years, why didn't they become a CPA? Some people are truly happy assisting and aren't confident leaders, of they're happy in their job.

Maybe this guy has the same insecurity, that he doesn't feel like a competent leader? Maybe he's very insecure inside and feels like he's not good enough and being the top guy in this job makes him feel he's better than others doing the same job, even though it's entry level. Maybe he finally got his act together at 40+. Maybe he was a lazy bum before had a 180 and now he's working hard to make up for his younger years?

Who knows though? There are a million reasons why a person does something.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:06 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:

Would you want to work Saturday morning at 3am?? Would you want to work a job that you are totally overqualified for but no one gives a crap?

I would pity him. Not envy. Poor guy doesn't even get promoted for all his effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment