Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:51 PM

236 posts, read 259,083 times

Advertisements

I had to do a bunch of pre-employment health testing for a new job I'm starting soon. Part of it included drawing multiple vials of blood for titer testing (TB and other diseases), which was quite a surprise to me since I had not been notified of this in advance. The phlebotomist wasn't very good and the blood draw took a long time and I've had a pretty big blue-purple bruise on my arm under where the needle was inserted ever since. For anyone who had to get blood draws for employment, were you notified in advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
I had to do a bunch of pre-employment health testing for a new job I'm starting soon. Part of it included drawing multiple vials of blood for titer testing (TB and other diseases), which was quite a surprise to me since I had not been notified of this in advance. The phlebotomist wasn't very good and the blood draw took a long time and I've had a pretty big blue-purple bruise on my arm under where the needle was inserted ever since. For anyone who had to get blood draws for employment, were you notified in advance?
I work in health care and have never had to get blood drawn for any job, that sounds odd to me. I had to get boosters for Measles, Mumps, Rubella when I was accepted to school, but that's it. We do require a yearly TB test, but no blood is drawn for that, they stick a needle under the skin of your forearm (the soft side) and then check it 3 days later. If a raised bump is there after 3 days, the test is positive. So your blood draws were not for TB. What kind of field is this? All I can think is they were doing your drug test using blood, but that is more expensive than urine and rare for an employer to use.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
In most states and cases, advance notification is not required. Consent is always required and you have the right to decline for whatever reason. People have refused until a conditional offer is made in writing, until their attorney said it's alright, until their religious leader said it's okey-dokey, until you receive advance notice, or until the company agrees to a free breakfast at I-Hop..... You have the right to decline if you feel it's not in your best interest at that time. Just understand the employer may take it as a negative, but you can counter that with a logical, rational and mature explanation.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in health care and have never had to get blood drawn for any job, that sounds odd to me. I had to get boosters for Measles, Mumps, Rubella when I was accepted to school, but that's it. We do require a yearly TB test, but no blood is drawn for that, they stick a needle under the skin of your forearm (the soft side) and then check it 3 days later. If a raised bump is there after 3 days, the test is positive. So your blood draws were not for TB. What kind of field is this? All I can think is they were doing your drug test using blood, but that is more expensive than urine and rare for an employer to use.
tb blood test is better than spot test because the skin test is positive for people vaccinated against tb

the other blood is likely to titer for the measles,mumps,vzv, rubella, etc so a booster shot is not needed. also hepatitis test to see if you need the series.

most of the drug tests are urine and not from blood samples for employer testing

"working in healthcare" or working for a healthcare system? is the cook at a hospital a healthcare worker? or do you only count the nutritionist who comes up with the meal plan? saying you work in healthcare does not qualify your experience over "nonhealthcare" workers who go through the same thing

Old 10-11-2017, 12:18 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I work in a hospital, although not in patient care, and had to have blood work and TB skin test when I started. I think this is fairly routine. I know for a fact that my institution does not do pre-employment drug testing because it's been an issue in some of the contracts with other companies or institutions that I've negotiated.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Never had to do one for any non military jobs in my life.

A few I had to do a pee test though.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
For anyone who had to get blood draws for employment, were you notified in advance?
Yes, I was notified in advance. I did contract work down in Antarctica and had to do a urine test, blood work, physical, and a chest x-ray (front and side) to see if I had TB. Others, who winter at South Pole, need to get an ultrasound of their gall gladder to see if they have any gallstones, and a psych test. Also needed a full dental exam as well, with x-rays. All this to just physically qualify to deploy down there, if you are over a certain age, you need a stress test as well.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:53 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
tb blood test is better than spot test because the skin test is positive for people vaccinated against tb

the other blood is likely to titer for the measles,mumps,vzv, rubella, etc so a booster shot is not needed. also hepatitis test to see if you need the series.

most of the drug tests are urine and not from blood samples for employer testing

"working in healthcare" or working for a healthcare system? is the cook at a hospital a healthcare worker? or do you only count the nutritionist who comes up with the meal plan? saying you work in healthcare does not qualify your experience over "nonhealthcare" workers who go through the same thing

I'm an occupational therapist and have worked in many setting including home health and schools, , but my primary is skilled nursing facilities. There is a relatively ineffective TB vaccine used in some countries but not generally in the U.S. As health care workers, ours are only skin tests. If you go to the hospital you'll get a skin test, even if they've drawn blood for other reasons. Some employers require a 2-step, but that is a skin test as well. Some people test positive even if they don't have TB, those people then get a chest x-Ray. No blood draws.

No need to be snarky.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
I'm an occupational therapist and have worked in many setting including home health and schools, , but my primary is skilled nursing facilities. There is a relatively ineffective TB vaccine used in some countries but not generally in the U.S. As health care workers, ours are only skin tests. If you go to the hospital you'll get a skin test, even if they've drawn blood for other reasons. Some employers require a 2-step, but that is a skin test as well. Some people test positive even if they don't have TB, those people then get a chest x-Ray. No blood draws.

No need to be snarky.
Many places draw blood now. QuantiFERON. When I first started in my health system, they drew blood for titers as well for MMRV. YYMV. But all of the hospitals I have worked at have drawn blood.

Last time I went through pre-employment for the same system they got rid of the drug urine test. I forgot what I did though. Ha.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 AM

66 posts, read 43,189 times
Quote:
This is not correct. I am a hospital employee (pharmacist) and get yearly TB testing. I think my first (and maybe second) one was a skin test - I remember because there were only certain days we could get the test so we could be checked 3 days later by the RN. But after that they were all blood tests. I have had way more blood tests than skin tests for TB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment