Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I wish I could but I'm afraid that I'll come off as stuck up bc I'm already the most educated, financially successful, upscale, mature person there by a long shot. I have to downplay myself a lot.

I'm thinking to either start pretending like I'm religious and throw in some god talk when they try to discuss others. Some of the advice I've read is to say something positive about the person they are talking about but so far, I don't know how to do it in an easy manner. For example, X is so lazy and stupid. Really? I think X has really pretty hair. Lol

Hopefully, it will die down once they see I'm not into it. I'm too old for this nonsense.

Eta I can't rep you again, yet but thanks!
Dare to be different. I don't think this would make you look stuck up. Be the example that they all need to see. Use humor. Kill em with kindness. Tell them you'd rather be counting your coins, than to be talking to them about nonsense. Or, something smart-arsey like that. In this case, I'd much rather be known as the stuck up vs gossip girl. Oh man I'd have fun in that environment. They'd hate me and I'd enjoy every minute of it. And you are better than them. Own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times
All good advice. One thing to add, keep your private life away from the office. Don’t tell anyone there anything remotely personal. These people are not your friends, they are your coworkers. Anything you say about yourself can become grist for the gossip mill so be careful what you put out there. Even the most innocent of facts can be turned around and made into gossip. Keep your head above water and good luck swimming with the sharks.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I would think since you're in HR your co-workers shouldn't be gossiping about others, correct? If it was me I would do exactly what "dumb" said above. That was good advice. I actually really like your "God talk" as well! Gets people every time!

In your position I would be careful what you say regardless! Rise above the others. Just because you work with someone and communicate on a daily basis doesn't mean you have to talk about your personal life or any type of gossip in general. Give general answers such as....

Them: Hey, can you believe what that girl was wearing?

You: Interesting

Them: What you doing this weekend?

You: Stuff

Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
One of the things I did was when lunchtime came, I took my packed lunch and throw quilt and headed outside for a picnic lunch and read a good book. It all fit in a nice sized tote bag. Because I always did it, and in bad weather or winter I found a little quiet cafe and had some soup, people got used to me not being in the midst of all the gossip.

When questioned, I just said working was stressful and I needed that hour to decompress and relax fully, or I’d snap and it would be ugly.

They’ll think your weird for a while, then they will lose interest in you, since you don’t play. I was at my last job for eight years and by the time I left they all adored me.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Once in awhile I would like to be caught up in it but often simply don't have the time.

Recently someone was terminated on the spot... seems I was the only one at work that didn't know it and asking if anyone knew if she was out on vacation didn't help!

Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Maybe instead of gossiping about someone else, you can get the gossipers to talk about themselves? Ask them what they did over the weekend, how their grandchildren are, what they thought about the latest whatever fashion is going around. If they're busy talking about themselves, they won't have time to gossip about anybody else.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Gov't here, too. I just keep silent and that says a lot. "I'm really trying to give up gossiping. My new rule for myself is: If I'm not saying it to lift someone up, then it's gossip."

This little gem makes me wonder about you, OP. So..you're better than all of them in (hold on, let me count) 4 ways. So you have to downplay yourself? Pretentious and fake? That's what that sounds like, stuck up's not far behind!

Quote:
I wish I could but I'm afraid that I'll come off as stuck up bc I'm already the most educated, financially successful, upscale, mature person there by a long shot. I have to downplay myself a lot.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
I work in human services and am forced to interact with coworkers. I can already see that the EQ isn't high and there is a lot of drama and gossip and complaining. I've been reading advice online but most of it relates to office workers. I can't just detach and hide at my desk. I'm ok with letting them know that I'm not going to engage in the drama but I don't want to come off as I think I'm better than them.

Please don't tell me to look for another job bc it's a good paying gvt job and I'm sticking with it. I'm planning to transfer to another location in a year but in the meantime...
Walk away when the gossip starts. If you can't walk away, keep your mouth shut and don't respond in any way, shape or form. There's no need to tell them you won't engage...just don't engage.

You're right...you're can't completely remove yourself from gossip and drama in the office, but you can keep yourself out of it.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Walk away when the gossip starts. If you can't walk away, keep your mouth shut and don't respond in any way, shape or form. There's no need to tell them you won't engage...just don't engage.

You're right...you're can't completely remove yourself from gossip and drama in the office, but you can keep yourself out of it.
Exactly. The second you join in and add one word or ask one question, the hours the flow will come out from the gossipers' mouths. It's like diarrhea from the holes on their faces.

The gossipers just waste the company's time on nonsense and useless talks, and they just hate the ones who work hard and not to join them. I don't care about them at all.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:

s!
You know, sometimes you can't do the right thing and remain liked by everyone.

And that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment