Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:43 PM

73 posts, read 107,513 times

Advertisements

I was terminated last week through a temp agency that said I violated company policy at this particular place. Long story short, accidentally brought my phone into the place during lunch break, we were supposed to keep our phones in our lockers and turned off. I walked through the security after break and they asked me to give them my serial number from my phone. I asked why do I have to give them serial number? I didn't get an answer and gave them the wrong serial number at first. Then they rechecked it and got the right serial number. The ***** from the temp agency said u could be terminated if u bring your phone into the warehouse again and for falsifying information. Just dont do that anymore." It was basically a verbal warning. I didn't bring my phone in not even during break anymore just to avoid that situation. Two weeks later they tell me I'm going to be terminated for that very same thing that happened on the first day I was there. Just out of the blue fired me. Is this ethical?

Can a company fire u for something that happened weeks ago? Even if u no longer made the same mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Any kind of temping is risky.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,957,211 times
Yes they can, and in fact it is reasonably common.

A policy violation is usually reviewed before termination occurs, and that does take time. Admittedly two weeks for something like this when a temp position is involved is unusually long, but there is nothing illegal or inappropriate about it.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
Ethical? You purposely gave them false information, yet wonder if something they did is ethical?

You should get used to the idea now that pretty much what the company says - goes (read and understand and do not disobey the rules set down for you - accidental or not), that is unless you are better than the job you hope to keep.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 AM

811 posts, read 614,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
I was terminated last week through a temp agency that said I violated company policy at this particular place. Long story short, accidentally brought my phone into the place during lunch break, we were supposed to keep our phones in our lockers and turned off. I walked through the security after break and they asked me to give them my serial number from my phone. I asked why do I have to give them serial number? I didn't get an answer and gave them the wrong serial number at first. Then they rechecked it and got the right serial number. The ***** from the temp agency said u could be terminated if u bring your phone into the warehouse again and for falsifying information. Just dont do that anymore." It was basically a verbal warning. I didn't bring my phone in not even during break anymore just to avoid that situation. Two weeks later they tell me I'm going to be terminated for that very same thing that happened on the first day I was there. Just out of the blue fired me. Is this ethical?

Can a company fire u for something that happened weeks ago? Even if u no longer made the same mistake?

"The ***** from the temp agency"?
What exactly is the ***** position and what do they do?

"Accidentally" brought your phone in huh? Even if that whopper were true you make it sound as if there should be no consequences for irresponsible and careless behavior.

The sooner you understand the "other" Golden Rule (Those with the Gold, Rule), the sooner you'll quit thinking you're the smartest one in the room. If you refuse to fall in line and follow rules get used to unemployment.

Time to grow up.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:07 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,099,131 times
Of course they can. It probably had to work its way through management and HR,

Last edited by joe from dayton; 10-15-2017 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 09:08 AM

29,421 posts, read 22,317,254 times
Sorry OP you're an at will employer and a temp, and no matter how you spin it on this forum, under the eyes of company laws your dismissal was more than justified.

Even on public forums such as these, it's amazing how much we can discern what the underlying truth might be. How does a brand new employee not only 'accidentally' bring in a cell phone to lunch break violating company policy, but also 'mistakenly' give the wrong serial number of the phone?

I'm hoping the OP is not angling for any sort of 'threat' to the former employer by means of a lawsuit or other such things. If I were OP I'd simply let it go and be thankful nothing more came of it. It's only a few weeks so this could easily be left off any job search and look for something else (never worked for any company where it was prohibited to bring in cell phone to lunch break area or use it on such times).

Old 10-15-2017, 09:22 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,471,041 times
i knew of a place that didnt want phones because of the camera being around protected information, after questioning it, they said as long as the phone didnt have one it was ok to keep wih you.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Did-...reason_id63709

Quote:
Yet did you know that there is a small number of smartphone models designed without cameras? These are devices built for a niche of buyers who can't bring a camera to their workplace, but still want to have access to their email, social networks and IM clients.

Last edited by MLSFan; 10-15-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,195,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry OP you're an at will employer and a temp, and no matter how you spin it on this forum, under the eyes of company laws your dismissal was more than justified.

Even on public forums such as these, it's amazing how much we can discern what the underlying truth might be. How does a brand new employee not only 'accidentally' bring in a cell phone to lunch break violating company policy, but also 'mistakenly' give the wrong serial number of the phone?

I'm hoping the OP is not angling for any sort of 'threat' to the former employer by means of a lawsuit or other such things. If I were OP I'd simply let it go and be thankful nothing more came of it. It's only a few weeks so this could easily be left off any job search and look for something else (never worked for any company where it was prohibited to bring in cell phone to lunch break area or use it on such times).
I know from reading this forum that 99.99% of the time the employer is "right" and will prevail. However, in this day and age, most people take their phone with them AUTOMATICALLY and EVERYWHERE they go, even the toilet. You can say yuck...but people don't even wear holsters for their phone or get purses with special little pockets - why?- because their phone is in their HAND all the time!

So yes, I can see why people would accidentally bring their phone without even thinking. Now, everyone new to employment has to get used to the fact that being a peon means you have to consider that almost anything you do can get you in trouble and be a fireable offense...the OP will get beaten down and get there eventually, else end up homeless.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM

12,595 posts, read 8,820,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
i knew of a place that didnt want phones because of the camera being around protected information, after questioning it, they said as long as the phone didnt have one it was ok to keep wih you.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Did-...reason_id63709
That was our place for a long time until it became too hard to find cameraless phones. So now, many of the buildings are no phones at all. There are lockers everywhere you can leave your phone in. As well as all the new gadgets with connected watches, fitbits, and so forth. It's not hard to understand or follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment