Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 PM

2,177 posts, read 1,115,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Do some employers really require a doctor's note for just one sick day off, before you even get back to work? I thought the norm was after the third in a row, or if they suspect you've been abusing your sick time.
Yes, I work at such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM

10,337 posts, read 5,821,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, I work at such a place.
Well that wouldn't work for me...I only called in sick one day this year, and I didn't need to see a dr.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,497,142 times
Oh I believe it. There are some crappy bosses out there.

Well go file for unemployment. YOU have a great excuse why you were gone and the notes to prove it.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,685,112 times
Coming back later in the day after calling in sick is going to look far worse than calling in and staying home. I had a boos who used to do that because she was hung over -- as soon as the Excedrin kicked in and she felt better she's breeze into the office, having totally forgotten she's already said she was dying and headed to the ER.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:05 PM

43 posts, read 34,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Coming back later in the day after calling in sick is going to look far worse than calling in and staying home. I had a boos who used to do that because she was hung over -- as soon as the Excedrin kicked in and she felt better she's breeze into the office, having totally forgotten she's already said she was dying and headed to the ER.
Well as I already stated 3 times I don't drink. I got food poisoning.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,429,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheGirlNextDoor. View Post
Quit being so defensive - yeah, you told us 3 times. SO WHAT? That has nothing to do with another poster telling us an anecdote about something SHE experienced! Not everything is a veiled insult or accusation!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:21 PM

10,272 posts, read 10,508,856 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you were fired. I agree there are many stupid, power hungry managers in the world. Most of us will run into a manager like this at some point in our careers. OTHOH, there are people who breeze through jobs doing as little as possible and are totally incompetent. Nobody seems to care that they are not doing there job. I've been subbing in various school districts and have run into some teachers and principals in this category. I subbed for 15 individual days for one teacher in one school year. These were almost all call-offs between 9PM and 6:20AM. She never had lesson plans and would call during first period and tell me what she want the students to do that day. It was usually something like, "Give them an SSR (sustained silent reading) day," which meant they did nothing since most did not have a book with them. When she was there she taught nothing and the students told me she wouldn't talk to them.

This teacher managed to get by with this type of job performance for years until they finally forced her into early retirement. She is no collecting an excellent pension for a career of doing nothing.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with going into work after calling off in the same day. Those are the kind of employees I would want to hire. I would describe it as being conscientious.

I once picked up a pizza on my way home, ate it, and woke up in the middle of the night thinking I was going to die. I can only assume it was food poisoning. I eventually went back to bed and went to work the next day. I may have gone in a little late.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 10-17-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 03:22 PM

43 posts, read 34,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy2u View Post
quit being so defensive - yeah, you told us 3 times. So what? That has nothing to do with another poster telling us an anecdote about something she experienced! Not everything is a veiled insult or accusation!
🙄🙄

Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,215,447 times
Quote:
She's very persnickety. I did tell her I believe it was bad food. She never even responded to my emails which also made me nervous about taking the whole day off.

You're overthinking it. She probably was just too busy to respond. I wouldn't let it bother you. If it bothers her, that's her problem.

SS

Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,688,177 times
If I worked at a place that I even had to give it this much thought, I would be looking for another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment