Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 34,828 times

Advertisements

Reason I'm asking is - I called out early this morning. I believe I got food poisoning from eating dinner out last night. I spent a majority of the early am/morning in the bathroom. So I emailed my boss letting her know. I then went to my Dr. and I was treated for dehydration. I asked her to write me a medical note and I emailed that to my manager. I think I have a good work ethic and I always hate taking time off unless I have to. I started feeling better and called my boss to ask if it would be ok to come in the remainder of the day - Monday's are busy.

I was told she was in a meeting and she would call back. She emailed me and said I got your message - see you tomorrow. I'm worried. Why? Because my boss is not a very understanding person. A few weeks ago I let know that I have a dentist appointment a month in advance - I have to leave a few hours early one day and she wasn't happy about the fact that I wouldn't be returning after my appointment. By the time I'm done the day will be nearly over. I'm now petrified I'm going to be let go. She didn't respond to my email this morning and that's how I knew she was most likely pissed off.

Last edited by NotTheGirlNextDoor.; 10-16-2017 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,425,668 times
It's not normal to call out in the morning and try to come back later in the day. If I was your boss I would think you are coming back to work sick and could get others sick or just not be productive because you are still sick. Most people need more time than a few hours to recover from any sickness. Worry about what you can control. This one is out of your hands at this point.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 AM

9,298 posts, read 8,211,455 times
Let me guess, she is unmarried, has no kids (or grown kids) and lives alone with cats?? If that's the case, run the other direction as fast as you can. I've worked for those types of women before and it's a no-win situation, even if you are a diligent worker 99.9% of the time, the one day you ask for a small bit of leniency she'll make you pay for it for months.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's not normal to call out in the morning and try to come back later in the day. If I was your boss I would think you are coming back to work sick and could get others sick or just not be productive because you are still sick. Most people need more time than a few hours to recover from any sickness. Worry about what you can control. This one is out of your hands at this point.
Yeah but does food poisoning really fall into spreading sickness? Not really..

Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Let me guess, she is unmarried, has no kids (or grown kids) and lives alone with cats?? If that's the case, run the other direction as fast as you can. I've worked for those types of women before and it's a no-win situation, even if you are a diligent worker 99.9% of the time, the one day you ask for a small bit of leniency she'll make you pay for it for months.
No she's married. She's very persnickety though. And I'm starting to think she likes to see me sweat.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,425,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheGirlNextDoor. View Post
Yeah but does food poisoning really fall into spreading sickness? Not really..
No but your boss doesn't know this. Unless you got into details. But even then, I don't really want someone in the office who was just a few hours ago unable to function at work. Take time to recover would be what I would say if I was your boss.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No but your boss doesn't know this. Unless you got into details. But even then, I don't really want someone in the office who was just a few hours ago unable to function at work. Take time to recover would be what I would say if I was your boss.
She's very persnickety. I did tell her I believe it was bad food. She never even responded to my emails which also made me nervous about taking the whole day off.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,483,952 times
take the day off, if you feel bad about it, come in early the next few days to make up the work

Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
take the day off, if you feel bad about it, come in early the next few days to make up the work
That's what I think I will do.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,132,800 times
First, unless you left her a voice mail you don't know what message was actually relayed to her. She may have just been told that you called. Second, I would interpret her message to mean that she expects you to return to work tomorrow. Third, I am pretty sure you can't be fired for taking a sick day; your employer would run a big risk in doing so. Particularly since you have documentation from your doctor, something most people would never do for a brief illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment