Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM

326 posts, read 718,575 times

Advertisements

Do banks really care any longer about good customer service as long as they can hire cheap, untrained, unprofessional help? It seems most banks want to get rid of tellers and drive up windows and force customers to go fully automated with ATM's and on-line banking, even if it's not what customers want. My bank closed the drive up window so I go to another branch now. When I complained about being forced to use the ATM one day by a manager and asked him why he didn't want the tellers to stay employed, he replied, "they can find other jobs!"

One day I was in the bank to make a withdrawal which needed a manager,'s approval. As I approached I asked her if she was the manager (I wasn't sure), she said yes, that's it. No introduction, no handshake saying "I am Jane Smith, manager of this branch, nice to meet you, how can I help you..," Very unprofessional, I guess some of the employees you are complaining about are rising up to management, how they are getting there is anybody's guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,466,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
That's because you were from an era where the workforce was appreciated, taken care of and had competent management.
I think you have it backwards. Today's workforce is more coddled and "appreciated" than when I started in the workforce 30+ years ago.

Today's managers would never get away with saying some of the stuff that was said to me when I was a young professional.

Today there are all sorts of "emotional assistance" programs, tuition reimbursement programs, and flex time opportunities.

Today it's all about creating work environments that fit the way people work, not the other way around.

My husband has worked his way up to executive leadership level of career and he is stunned at the "requests" he gets from employees that he would never have had the balls to ask for when he was younger. His is a small company that does not have the resources to accommodate such requests even if appropriate.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post
Do banks really care any longer about good customer service as long as they can hire cheap, untrained, unprofessional help? It seems most banks want to get rid of tellers and drive up windows and force customers to go fully automated with ATM's and on-line banking, even if it's not what customers want. My bank closed the drive up window so I go to another branch now. !
I have seen the same problem. And banks in my area have shorter and shorter working days now, often closing around 2 or 3 p.m. I personally won't use ATMs because I don't feel safe using them for a lot of reasons.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
As some of you may know from my previous post, I was promoted to branch manager for a bank months back. I went in with a very optimistic view until I started to get to know more of the staff there. I always tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but it always blew up in my face.

I don't know what it is. I always thought that people would come into work and want to work hard to make something out of themselves. I know I was always like that. This is how I became manager at a very young age (under 30) and began to manage people who are more than twice as old as I am. During my time here (less than a year) at this location, this branch started to generate profit and also reach sales and customer service scores. It is a milestone in my career. I am receiving recognition and have a very promising future here, thankfully. The thing is...I feel like I did most of it alone.

However, I am very very shocked by the kind of workers that have been here. I did not hire any of them. For the record, none of these people would pass an interview with me quite frankly. They were here before the branch was assigned to me. Anyways, I tried to pull through and coach up the staff up and be patient. I would put in blood, sweat and tears into this location. To put it into perspective, I have had to coach out employees already and the others are starting to wake up to what is happening but think I am the one responsible for all their miseries which is mind blowing for me because I would never think to blame my boss for my shortcomings.

Members of my staff would get angry if I asked them why they showed up 45 minutes late without a call or text letting me know. Members of my staff won't even open up the branch on time unless my assistant manager or I are there. Members of my staff don't know to show up to meetings that executives of the bank set up. I then get calls from them asking where my staff was. Emails are sent to clients with spelling and grammatical errors. Members of my staff think I am bullying them when I hold them accountable for not making sales goals to asking them why they forget their name tags and badges at home or why their email is not open for the 289238920892th time.

They don't show up on time, make revenue, come unprepared (literally come in looking like they rolled out of bed to service clients), don't open their email (this is why they miss important meetings) despite myself and my assistant manager repeatedly going blue in the face about it yet have plenty of time to complain about not having weekends off, how "unfair" everything is, making excuses or about how I am bullying them. I would never think of fighting with my boss or blaming her if I missed an important meeting or goal. Members of my staff can't even conduct simple transactions properly (despite me sending them to courses or coaching MANY MANY TIMES) and make deposits/withdrawals into wrong accounts which results in clients getting angry and wanting to talk to me. It wastes soo much time.

The good news is that my boss sees my situation and has my side. This is how I have been able to coach out some of the staff but damn. I never thought it would be this bad. Like they don't even have basic professionalism but are so entitled to keeping their positions here that they throw a fit about being coached out. Why would I keep you at my branch when you can't even do something as basic as open up your email, do a transaction or follow a simple direction or show up on time?

Is anyone else going through this? There is just no work ethic. I am not even 30 and already worried about people who are older than me.
Exactly. Why would you keep them? Document their tardiness or violations of workplace policies then fire them. Granted document that you have attempted numerous times to get them to come in on time etc.
imo when people do that they are testing how far they can push you.
Or you can hit them n the pocketbook like I used to do.
I had guys who showed up to work late. After waiting for a few of my regular late comers to show up I sent each of them home for the day with no pay. After doing that a few times in a week they got the message. Crazy how nobody was late anymore after getting sent home. One guy went home every day for a week. That guy wasn't Kate once after that firvthe duration of the project. Was I a jerk? Maybe. But my job is to run my crew efficiently AND in order to be efficient I need a reliable crew.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:41 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
The OP is shocked?

Has OP spent any time on this subsection of the forum?

Everyday we have yet another moan fest from entitled folks who think rules don't apply to them, create petty personal dramas where none exist, whine about how corporate America is so mean to them while they spend most of their working hours on their smart phones moaning on City Data because their coworkers are meanies.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 AM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
As some of you may know from my previous post, I was promoted to branch manager for a bank months back. I went in with a very optimistic view until I started to get to know more of the staff there. I always tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but it always blew up in my face.

I don't know what it is. I always thought that people would come into work and want to work hard to make something out of themselves. I know I was always like that. This is how I became manager at a very young age (under 30) and began to manage people who are more than twice as old as I am. During my time here (less than a year) at this location, this branch started to generate profit and also reach sales and customer service scores. It is a milestone in my career. I am receiving recognition and have a very promising future here, thankfully. The thing is...I feel like I did most of it alone.

Is anyone else going through this? There is just no work ethic. I am not even 30 and already worried about people who are older than me.
I have taken over similar management positions a few times during my career. Also when I was much younger than most of my employees. It is difficult taking over someone elses staff.

You have to clean house. They are not respecting you. They probably resent that you have the position and not them. They are going to push things as far as they can get away with.

Enforce the rules that are in place and discipline those who violate them according to company policy with zero tolerance. Over time they will either improve, quit or be fired. Problem solved.

You are the boss you don't have to put up with this. I have canned people with 20 years at the company who were not doing their job correctly and would not take the steps to improve their performance. I gave them a chance but with limits. If their job is not that important to them then its not to me either.

Anyways impressed with someone younger with a strong work ethic. We need more of this.

Only concern I would have is them turning on you en masse. Making up things about you and going over your head as a group. You should have at least a couple of employees that have your back and agree with how your see things at your branch.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Yes, today it's 12$, but with hard work it can climb to 30,40, and 50. So what is the problem with them?
They have no faith that working harder will result in such promotions. In my experience that concern is well justified. Most people only get promoted or raises by moving to a new company and there is very little meritocracy at work now a days.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:05 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You are pressuring sales roles on them as well. Any decent salesperson would be making a lot more than that and getting commissions.
This.

Quote:
I hold them accountable for not making sales goals
Do they receive any sort of bonus or commission for achieving sales goals? If not, then I'm with MSChemist80 here. However, it seems as if more and more retail outlets are holding low-wage sales associates responsible for sales goals. When I was in college, our retail outlet began offering Rewards accounts for customers. It was more of an optional route at first. However, by year 3, Rewards was the name of the game and they expected sign ups from every customer who walked into the store, regardless of buying customers or not. And no matter how much associates busted their arses to meet/exceed these metrics, we received nothing for it. No weekly/monthly bonuses, nada. That is because management got the bonuses for the store Rewards quotas. Yes, the people who didn't even do the work for the Rewards member enrollment reaped the benefits from it. This is why next time, I'll only go into commissioned retail sales because if I'm going to be held responsible for metrics then I want something out of it.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
A couple of days ago, msn.com (the ultimate bait-and-trap site for the young. (predominately-) female and insecure) ran a link to Readers' Digest (the ultimate producer of puff pieces for those obsessed with conformity.

https://www.rd.com/advice/work-caree...wont-tell-you/

Despite the attempts at subtlety, the message is clear: Present yourself as the ultimate Pollyanna and goody two-shoes, and you'll have basic security (but little more); but if you can master the Great Korporate Game of manipulation and benign(?) deceit, you may go far,

By the age of 25 (in the mid-Seventies), I'd learned that I could never master the "art" of constant feigned self-effacement that characterizes life in most of the present-day economy; I had the hard numbers to prove I was doing my job (on overnight and weekend shifts) very well, but was miserable in the off-duty hours after relocating from a well-educated community to a dull, blue-collar town. The last straw came when my supervisor offered "advancement", but to a daylight shift with more exposure to the public, a dress code, and plenty of office politics, which were a much stronger part of "the equation" in those times.

Looking back after forty years, I now recognize that if that supervisor and I had been capable of a more frank exchange of views, values and goals, things might have turned out differently; but it was a time not that far removed from the age of absolutes and the Great Depression and global war that spawned and reinforced the authoritarian mentality that's so well-suited to a "Korporate" mindset.

In the years to come, I paid a price, particularly in the search for partners in life, but somehow, I made it to retirement fairly intact, and with enough "people I belong to" to keep life interesting and fulfilling -- something I don't think would have come about if I'd gone further into the darkening tunnel of the 9-to-5 life; To borrow a line from William Henley's Invictus, "my head is bloody, but remains unbowed."

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-17-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:16 AM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They have no faith that working harder will result in such promotions. In my experience that concern is well justified. Most people only get promoted or raises by moving to a new company and there is very little meritocracy at work now a days.
If you are 60 years old and barely moved a little up the job ladder the onus is on you. I have had employees like that and their situation is never their fault. Everything is unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment