Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM

61 posts, read 41,265 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know from my previous post, I was promoted to branch manager for a bank months back. I went in with a very optimistic view until I started to get to know more of the staff there. I always tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but it always blew up in my face.

I don't know what it is. I always thought that people would come into work and want to work hard to make something out of themselves. I know I was always like that. This is how I became manager at a very young age (under 30) and began to manage people who are more than twice as old as I am. During my time here (less than a year) at this location, this branch started to generate profit and also reach sales and customer service scores. It is a milestone in my career. I am receiving recognition and have a very promising future here, thankfully. The thing is...I feel like I did most of it alone.

However, I am very very shocked by the kind of workers that have been here. I did not hire any of them. For the record, none of these people would pass an interview with me quite frankly. They were here before the branch was assigned to me. Anyways, I tried to pull through and coach up the staff up and be patient. I would put in blood, sweat and tears into this location. To put it into perspective, I have had to coach out employees already and the others are starting to wake up to what is happening but think I am the one responsible for all their miseries which is mind blowing for me because I would never think to blame my boss for my shortcomings.

Members of my staff would get angry if I asked them why they showed up 45 minutes late without a call or text letting me know. Members of my staff won't even open up the branch on time unless my assistant manager or I are there. Members of my staff don't know to show up to meetings that executives of the bank set up. I then get calls from them asking where my staff was. Emails are sent to clients with spelling and grammatical errors. Members of my staff think I am bullying them when I hold them accountable for not making sales goals to asking them why they forget their name tags and badges at home or why their email is not open for the 289238920892th time.

They don't show up on time, make revenue, come unprepared (literally come in looking like they rolled out of bed to service clients), don't open their email (this is why they miss important meetings) despite myself and my assistant manager repeatedly going blue in the face about it yet have plenty of time to complain about not having weekends off, how "unfair" everything is, making excuses or about how I am bullying them. I would never think of fighting with my boss or blaming her if I missed an important meeting or goal. Members of my staff can't even conduct simple transactions properly (despite me sending them to courses or coaching MANY MANY TIMES) and make deposits/withdrawals into wrong accounts which results in clients getting angry and wanting to talk to me. It wastes soo much time.

The good news is that my boss sees my situation and has my side. This is how I have been able to coach out some of the staff but damn. I never thought it would be this bad. Like they don't even have basic professionalism but are so entitled to keeping their positions here that they throw a fit about being coached out. Why would I keep you at my branch when you can't even do something as basic as open up your email, do a transaction or follow a simple direction or show up on time?

Is anyone else going through this? There is just no work ethic. I am not even 30 and already worried about people who are older than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Who hired them and were they hired through nepotism? Kind of sounds like that.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
I know I was never a morning person and if I were forced to have a ridgid schedule job I would not do well (unless start time was like 9:30am). I know some people that can go to bed at 7pm and get up at 4 or 5 am bright eyed.

I was reading an artical that fully half the US population are night owls, but I guess the ones running the show are still morning people, that just means that there will be conflict. I could do the butt crack of dawn thing for a little while but I would eventually start showing up haggared and then I would start taking a ton of sick time.

As far as the rest of the competency issues I have never dealt with that, I have only ever worked with highly competent people. The flip side is if you are working with highly competent people you better have a solid agenda for the meeting because if you are wasting competent peoples time they will let you know, the way I looked at it was if management wanted me to sit in a useless meeting so they could hear themselves talk I figured I was being paid, it was not until the meetings got so excessive that I was getting behind on my work that I simply stopped showing up, meetings are not the end all be all of buisness.

I know some people who go so many emails that if they were out for a week they litterally just had to delete all their emails and let people follow up, it was litterally hundreds of emails, I also had numerous emails as well and it became very combersome to achive and respond.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Everyone hates nepotism, until your the one that gets hired on via nepotism and dont have to work like a plantation slave to scrap by to feed your family.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:33 PM

61 posts, read 41,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I can confirm it's not nepotism.

It's something far worse... Lol.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,298,018 times
There's such a thing as work ethic - sounds like your workers haven't heard of that. It also sounds like you had nothing to do with the hiring of these people, but do you not conduct annual reviews? It would seem people could get your feedback during these reviews and either shape up or get shipped out, or do you not have that authority either?

If you have been put in the position of having the responsibility for performance but no authority over the workers (except for the coaching, as you put it), then it's no surprise that the workers don't feel much fear about repercussions if they aren't performing. This is a bad position for the bank to have put you in. If you have managed to get the branch recognized for good performance, maybe your next challenge should be getting the boss to let you have more say in the hiring and firing.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Everyone hates nepotism, until your the one that gets hired on via nepotism and dont have to work like a plantation slave to scrap by to feed your family.
This is pretty much an admission that people hired through nepotism don't have to work as hard as their co-workers.

Yep, we all know it.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
I can confirm it's not nepotism.

It's something far worse... Lol.
So are they sleeping with the right person at this job? That's a tricky situation.

They will get away with their bad work ethic for a while, but things change and they could not always be protected by whoever this person is.

Just sit back and watch.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 PM

86 posts, read 73,598 times
Wow. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I can't imagine the frustration of managing workers who don't want to work. Are there any incentives for performances? I remember working at bank and we would have "competitions". Usually they would just post everyone's sales stats on the board for everyone to see. I think this was a way for people to work harder based more so for their ego than their actual jobs.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
As some of you may know from my previous post, I was promoted to branch manager for a bank months back. I went in with a very optimistic view until I started to get to know more of the staff there. I always tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but it always blew up in my face.

I don't know what it is. I always thought that people would come into work and want to work hard to make something out of themselves. I know I was always like that. This is how I became manager at a very young age (under 30) and began to manage people who are more than twice as old as I am. During my time here (less than a year) at this location, this branch started to generate profit and also reach sales and customer service scores. It is a milestone in my career. I am receiving recognition and have a very promising future here, thankfully. The thing is...I feel like I did most of it alone.

However, I am very very shocked by the kind of workers that have been here. I did not hire any of them. For the record, none of these people would pass an interview with me quite frankly. They were here before the branch was assigned to me. Anyways, I tried to pull through and coach up the staff up and be patient. I would put in blood, sweat and tears into this location. To put it into perspective, I have had to coach out employees already and the others are starting to wake up to what is happening but think I am the one responsible for all their miseries which is mind blowing for me because I would never think to blame my boss for my shortcomings.

Members of my staff would get angry if I asked them why they showed up 45 minutes late without a call or text letting me know. Members of my staff won't even open up the branch on time unless my assistant manager or I are there. Members of my staff don't know to show up to meetings that executives of the bank set up. I then get calls from them asking where my staff was. Emails are sent to clients with spelling and grammatical errors. Members of my staff think I am bullying them when I hold them accountable for not making sales goals to asking them why they forget their name tags and badges at home or why their email is not open for the 289238920892th time.

They don't show up on time, make revenue, come unprepared (literally come in looking like they rolled out of bed to service clients), don't open their email (this is why they miss important meetings) despite myself and my assistant manager repeatedly going blue in the face about it yet have plenty of time to complain about not having weekends off, how "unfair" everything is, making excuses or about how I am bullying them. I would never think of fighting with my boss or blaming her if I missed an important meeting or goal. Members of my staff can't even conduct simple transactions properly (despite me sending them to courses or coaching MANY MANY TIMES) and make deposits/withdrawals into wrong accounts which results in clients getting angry and wanting to talk to me. It wastes soo much time.

The good news is that my boss sees my situation and has my side. This is how I have been able to coach out some of the staff but damn. I never thought it would be this bad. Like they don't even have basic professionalism but are so entitled to keeping their positions here that they throw a fit about being coached out. Why would I keep you at my branch when you can't even do something as basic as open up your email, do a transaction or follow a simple direction or show up on time?

Is anyone else going through this? There is just no work ethic. I am not even 30 and already worried about people who are older than me.

Can you just fire them? Seems like these are the typical entitled bunch, that is far to common today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment