Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:38 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Most PDs are under budgeted and overworked. I was one of the lucky ones who got assigned a car that had about 60k miles on there. My friends from the academy got assigned cars that were 150k+ miles.

I was under the impression the manufacturers were quite competitive in trying to win fleet contracts and thought a purpose built seat might be a talking point. The competitiveness may no longer be the case, I know in my area every municipal, county, and state patrol vehicle I see is a Chrysler product. Perhaps Ford and GM have given up the fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I wish they did. I spent 40 years is a patrol car, starting with a 1973 AMC Matador and retired driving a 2011 Ford Crown Victoria. When I started in 1974, I had my holstered service revolver, two ammo dump boxes, and a set of handcuffs on my duty belt. That was it.

By the time I retired, my duty belt held my service revolver, three speedloaders, two sets of handcuffs, pepper spray, taser, folding knife, glove pouch, collapsible baton, flashlight, radio - well, you get the picture. As a result, three spinal surgeries in the three years since I've retired. I don't know if the newer patrol cars have addressed the issue. I hope they have.

I was thinking of how some race cars have a basic seat pan that accepts inserts for different drivers, I thought it a good possibility a similar scheme could be employed in patrol vehicles, a basic seat pan with different inserts made to accommodate various equipment levels. I don't know if it would be economically viable but with today's laser measuring equipment and modern production methods it wouldn't be a big stretch to produce personalized inserts for every driver using the vehicles.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was under the impression the manufacturers were quite competitive in trying to win fleet contracts and thought a purpose built seat might be a talking point. The competitiveness may no longer be the case, I know in my area every municipal, county, and state patrol vehicle I see is a Chrysler product. Perhaps Ford and GM have given up the fight?
Here's the problem with this logic. This logic may work if there is a single all powerful bigass PD. But there's not. There are millions of PDs out there, most of them only consist of a few POs. There's no way manufacturers can please all of them.

What PDs do is look at cars they think best suited for the job and the price point. Certain areas, you see a lot of crown Vics, impalas, and chargers simply because those are the biggest sedans there are.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I wanted to know if they had a donut holder instead of cup holder
Former cop here. After about 3 years, I quit and changed career.

Anyway, I remember the first day straight out of the academy. There were 3 of us at our particular station. I had to go pick up our equipment. When I got back, I saw the other 2 guys walking down the street carrying several donut boxes. I stopped and asked what the hell are you doing? They said the staff asked them to go buy donuts for everyone. They walked to the donut store. They had no idea the staff was playing a prank on them. Imaging driving down the street and seeing 2 uniformed cops carrying several boxes of donuts.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Here's the problem with this logic. This logic may work if there is a single all powerful bigass PD. But there's not. There are millions of PDs out there, most of them only consist of a few POs. There's no way manufacturers can please all of them.

What PDs do is look at cars they think best suited for the job and the price point. Certain areas, you see a lot of crown Vics, impalas, and chargers simply because those are the biggest sedans there are.

PDs each do their own shopping for vehicles? IIRC, when I lived in NJ, I believe the State Police negotiated a deal for what vehicle they believed best suited their needs and PDs in the state could choose the same deal if the vehicle fit their needs.

Last edited by burdell; 10-18-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That is what the front passenger seat is for.
Not if you have a partner . That's when the shotgun barrel comes into play.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I wish they did. I spent 40 years is a patrol car, starting with a 1973 AMC Matador and retired driving a 2011 Ford Crown Victoria. When I started in 1974, I had my holstered service revolver, two ammo dump boxes, and a set of handcuffs on my duty belt. That was it.

By the time I retired, my duty belt held my service revolver, three speedloaders, two sets of handcuffs, pepper spray, taser, folding knife, glove pouch, collapsible baton, flashlight, radio - well, you get the picture. As a result, three spinal surgeries in the three years since I've retired. I don't know if the newer patrol cars have addressed the issue. I hope they have.

What no briefcase and AED? My husband is a retired LEO and the passenger seat was for all of the left over gear except for the rifle. That was in the trunk. He drove a Crown Vic too and hated the SUV's. He said the Crown Vic's were way more comfortable. A friend drove me home after I parked my car at our police department after a blizzard in an SUV, and it seemed pretty nice.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:58 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
PDs each do their own shopping for vehicles? IIRC, when I lived in NJ, I believe the State Police negotiated a deal for what vehicle they believed best suited their needs and PDs in the state could choose the same deal if the vehicle fit their needs.

It might be a NJ or a New England thing. My experience in the Midwest is to the contrary -- no one piggybacks on a state bid. Each agency is responsible for choosing and negotiating their own vehicle purchases.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
I'm not LEO, but I have a permit to carry. No matter what type of holster I have used while driving it was uncomfortable. You sit funny to compensate and end up with aches and pains. I finally removed it from my body and keep it in a dash compartment. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it has to be for cops to have all that gear poking them while driving.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It might be a NJ or a New England thing. My experience in the Midwest is to the contrary -- no one piggybacks on a state bid. Each agency is responsible for choosing and negotiating their own vehicle purchases.

A bit surprising to me, there's a lot to be said for the economy of scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment