Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long do you need to stay with an employer who offers little upward mobility opportunities?
0-1 years 6 20.69%
1-2 years 13 44.83%
2-3 years 4 13.79%
3-4 years 3 10.34%
5-10 years 1 3.45%
10+ years 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times

Advertisements

People usually say about a year. But yet lets say 3 months into you "year long stay" you find a job paying more, better benefits, more aligned with your interest etc... and you actually receive the offer-then I would have no trouble only staying at my current job from 3 months as opposed to the usually "year long stay".

That being said if your resume is littered with many short stints that may then become a problem in interviews.

But overall I feel, that if you are unhappy at job X, start looking, don't listen to people who say "stay for at least a year" (almost like it is a commandment) if you know that it won't get better in a years time. Now I would never leave a job without another job lined up (god forbid it may take a year to find another job...) but if you are unhappy 2 months in, 3 months in, 4 months in etc... then start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 02:25 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
People usually say about a year. But yet lets say 3 months into you "year long stay" you find a job paying more, better benefits, more aligned with your interest etc... and you actually receive the offer-then I would have no trouble only staying at my current job from 3 months as opposed to the usually "year long stay".

That being said if your resume is littered with many short stints that may then become a problem in interviews.

But overall I feel, that if you are unhappy at job X, start looking, don't listen to people who say "stay for at least a year" (almost like it is a commandment) if you know that it won't get better in a years time. Now I would never leave a job without another job lined up (god forbid it may take a year to find another job...) but if you are unhappy 2 months in, 3 months in, 4 months in etc... then start looking.
Right on! Agreed wholeheartedly. I don't advocate too many <1 year stints either, because I think that could indicate a bigger issue with your own stability.

Granted, the shortest stint I've ever had post college was 8 months, and that was because I ended up not doing the job I thought I'd be doing. Everything else has been about a 2-3 year stint, while actively moving up in pay grades during that time. The job I have now has been the only "lateral" move I've taken, and that was to get into a company with much better benefits. However, as I approach the two year mark here, I'm getting the itch to move on to something else. Though the benefits have been alright, this organization is highly dysfunctional and lacks much in the way of upward mobility. To get to that next tier, I likely need to jump ship.

Last edited by Left-handed; 10-20-2017 at 02:43 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
A big issue today is there is hardly a ladder to climb in most places due to "cost cutting" so its not completely out of the realm of possibility to stay in the same job for 4-5 or even 10 years years or more without going anywhere. Ive been doing the same responsibilities for 4-5 years and many others have been in the same position longer. To "move up" you would have to move and with it comes an outrageous cost of living hike up and theres no guarantee that the position will even remain with companies like mine that are chopping heads off every 3-6 months. So instead of moving for the company, you could just be moving to the unemployment line. Alot of employees who were hired on and "leveled up" ultimately lost their jobs when they deemed "non essential".

When it comes "cost cutting" time, you're on their radar if your salary is too high unless you got high level connections which helps you avoid the chopping block.

And wheres the investment in the workforce to grow and move up? GONE!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
well, consider the source then. Anyone who thinks that you have to stay in a job for at least 10 years is out of touch with today's work world and their opinion would be pretty irrelevant.

Of course I say that as someone who hopes to stay at my current job until I retire in another 15ish years! lol! But that's after having had a number of different jobs along the way that got me here.
Indeed! And I, too, hope to eventually get to that point in my career. I hate switching jobs even though it has benefited me a great deal. Finding that sweet spot of stability, good pay, and challenging work is what many of us aim for. I'm considerably younger than a lot of the usual crowd that posts here, I think. So it probably explains the difference in my viewpoint compared to theirs.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
1-2 years for entry/associate level. I started off at about $14/hr back in 2010 and stayed at that company for two years. However, there were no other roles at the site and it was a fifty mile one way commute. Living there wasn't an option - it was in the middle of nowhere southwest Virginia.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

For instance, if you're young, more than likely you're starting out at the bottom rung of the corporate ladder. You're probably making the least amount that you can possibly make in your role. My starting salary in 2008 was around $30k/yr. There is absolutely no way I could subsist on that where I live now. Not to mention, COL/merit increases at any company I've worked at have generally topped out at 1-2% per year. Job hopping every 2-3 years and getting a significant increase in pay in the new role has given me opportunity that I did not have before. I make more than double what I started out making, and I accomplished that in 10 years. If I stayed with the same company I started at 10 years ago, I'd probably be making $45k/yr. and struggling to get ahead.
People have to look at job hopping with a certain degree of logic.

Somebody is paying your company to do a task. They in turn pay you. Will a client really pay another company so much more $ so that company can pay you a lot more?

So, the company you are employed with now, lets call them Belko, you make double what you started with. If you were with your first company still, you'd be way below that. Fair enough.

Well, what if you had started your career with Belko?

Are you saying that Belko will pay someone with 10 years of experience who has hopped around more than somebody who has started their career with Belko and has 10 years of experience all with Belko?

Not the case in my experience.

You CAN get salary increases with job hopping, but you have to understand why you are getting them.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
People have to look at job hopping with a certain degree of logic.

Somebody is paying your company to do a task. They in turn pay you. Will a client really pay another company so much more $ so that company can pay you a lot more?

So, the company you are employed with now, lets call them Belko, you make double what you started with. If you were with your first company still, you'd be way below that. Fair enough.

Well, what if you had started your career with Belko?

Are you saying that Belko will pay someone with 10 years of experience who has hopped around more than somebody who has started their career with Belko and has 10 years of experience all with Belko?

Not the case in my experience.

You CAN get salary increases with job hopping, but you have to understand why you are getting them.
The logic is that you hop into higher paying positions that are available rather than wait around for positions that are not.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:20 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
The logic is that you hop into higher paying positions that are available rather than wait around for positions that are not.
The key is to take better positions with each move.

I had five help desk jobs moving around. I just combine those as one entry on my resume/LinkedIn now. With that said, I went from help desk, to associate systems analyst, to application administrator, to business analyst II since early 2014.

We've had some chronic posters with problems retaining professional employment, and people who just lambaste those folks. Neither are right, but it almost always boils back to no increase in title or responsibility with the bunch of hops.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We've had some chronic posters with problems retaining professional employment, and people who just lambaste those folks. Neither are right, but it almost always boils back to no increase in title or responsibility with the bunch of hops.
Which is a whole other issue altogether. I don't even know if I'd call that the same thing even as what I'm referring to.

I have a cousin who jumps around from one restaurant hostess job to the next, and a brother who jumps around from one retail job from the rest. I'm not even close to considering them as the pinnacles of success, nor do I consider what they do to be the same thing that I do or others do in order to get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment