Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,003,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So, if I am understanding correctly, job A pays more per hour, but requires OT and has lots of scheduling changes, and job B pays a bit less, offers plenty of OT, but does not require any?

What about other benefits? Also, does she have any information about what sort of raises both jobs give later on?
Pretty much. Job b doesn't mandate OT and the 40 hr schedule is set. There is a lot of OT available but they don't force it. I guess it works out with volunteers. Both jobs are entry lpn so I assume there's more younger people who can work bc of less outside family obligations? Job A has OT but it gets taken quick by the senior staff. The thing people might not be getting is the down time so if you work 3-11 and pick up the 11-7, it's mostly just bed checks, paperwork and maybe laundry on the midnight shift. You're in a home not a hospital so you can watch tv, be on computer, etc. it's not a strict environment like some jobs.

Not sure about the raise schedules but both have pretty good benefits and employee qol events. The health insurance for job a is $75/month but job b is $2/month!

The only reason I think b is better is that even though she'd have to work more, she'd make more and her objective is to get money and not to have a work/life balance. She'd also be able to get a great reference if she was to try to get into the va in a few years. Being flexible and dedicated to the job is a good thing in nursing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week for almost 4 years, you pay your best friends daughter to clean your apartment and do your laundry one day a week.
Seriously, I know tons of health care and factory workers who worked 80 hours for years.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would take the higher base.

I doubt your cousin really works 80 hours a week. Many people claim crazy things like this, but few actually do it. That would be 11.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. Add in 30 minutes for unpaid lunch, assume no dinner, and throw in 30 minutes of commute and you are at 12.5 hours a day. Every single day.

When do you do grocery shopping and laundry?
16 hours five days a week. Sleep and get the other stuff done on the days off. People do it all the time.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:19 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,541,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Well, I mean this is the current situation. That's why I said she should take the lower base and work a lot. It's not forever.

Lpn median salary might appear higher but they are being phased out so the reality is much different bc of limitations on employment.

$600 a month for private loans is a lot. I disagree that she should take a low wage job and work a ton. I don't think she can work enough at that rate. I'd have to see a breakdown of her expenses, but her situation sounds unsustainable.

I think she needs to think about how to improve her qualifications for higher wages very aggressively.

Think about it, she should be able to look back at her past expenses, and project into the future how long it would take for her to eliminate that debt. "Working a lot" is a shot in the dark if she hasn't done the math. The numbers don't lie.

And being in her late 30's she might be looking at more health expenses. I'm assuming she doesn't have any children...

Illinois also has nurse's unions. She should look into them and see what wages and benefits they offer.

In 5 years I've gone from $16 an hour to $32 an hour. It wasn't by chance, I always tried to be the best in my field and was always on the lookout for better paying work. If she's willing to work insane amounts of OT, then she should have the gumption to pursue better compensation. But if all of her time is taken up by OT, in a year or two her qualifications won't have changed much. Yes, she might have more money, but she'll have been too busy to study, or pursue more lucrative opportunities. Being in her late 30's she doesn't have a ton of time at her disposal.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,562,534 times
Quote:
Pretty much. Job b doesn't mandate OT and the 40 hr schedule is set. There is a lot of OT available but they don't force it. I guess it works out with volunteers. Both jobs are entry lpn so I assume there's more younger people who can work bc of less outside family obligations? Job A has OT but it gets taken quick by the senior staff. The thing people might not be getting is the down time so if you work 3-11 and pick up the 11-7, it's mostly just bed checks, paperwork and maybe laundry on the midnight shift. You're in a home not a hospital so you can watch tv, be on computer, etc. it's not a strict environment like some jobs.

Not sure about the raise schedules but both have pretty good benefits and employee qol events. The health insurance for job a is $75/month but job b is $2/month!

The only reason I think b is better is that even though she'd have to work more, she'd make more and her objective is to get money and not to have a work/life balance. She'd also be able to get a great reference if she was to try to get into the va in a few years. Being flexible and dedicated to the job is a good thing in nursing.
I would lean toward job B, as well. She can work as much OT as she wants, and when she no longer needs to, no one will force her to. Job A, by demanding that she make herself available for last-minute schedule changes, to the point of forbidding a second job, is essentially demanding that she commit ALL of her time to them, even hours for which she is not going to be compensated. Work/life balance is more of a priority for me, but it sounds like job B is better, even in that respect.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
$600 a month for private loans is a lot. I disagree that she should take a low wage job and work a ton. I don't think she can work enough at that rate. I'd have to see a breakdown of her expenses, but her situation sounds unsustainable.

I think she needs to think about how to improve her qualifications for higher wages very aggressively.

Think about it, she should be able to look back at her past expenses, and project into the future how long it would take for her to eliminate that debt. "Working a lot" is a shot in the dark if she hasn't done the math. The numbers don't lie.

And being in her late 30's she might be looking at more health expenses. I'm assuming she doesn't have any children...

Illinois also has nurse's unions. She should look into them and see what wages and benefits they offer.

In 5 years I've gone from $16 an hour to $32 an hour. It wasn't by chance, I always tried to be the best in my field and was always on the lookout for better paying work. If she's willing to work insane amounts of OT, then she should have the gumption to pursue better compensation. But if all of her time is taken up by OT, in a year or two her qualifications won't have changed much. Yes, she might have more money, but she'll have been too busy to study, or pursue more lucrative opportunities. Being in her late 30's she doesn't have a ton of time at her disposal.
Her balance is 60k. She was 3/4 through a BA at a good college but was guilted into caring for her father. She was 1/2 through when the guilt trip happened. She tried to keep going but kept having to drop classes which put her under the completion % for federal aid and she got jammed up with private loans for school and living expenses. It was obviously a bad decision and her family shouldn't have put her in the position to begin with. Now, they are dead, she's on her own. The lpn was the best bang for her buck bc it was 9 months and tbh, she was only being offered a bit more than minimum wage bc she'd been out of the workforce. I can empathize bc I got jammed up bc I cared for my gma. Don't ever do it!

She has 40k in savings and has thought about putting it all on the loans which would bring the payments down to $200/month. If she busted her butt for a couple years, she could pay off the rest, build up her savings again and probably get promoted at work. Other than the loans, she's debt free and lives very frugal. No cable, Internet, buying stuff, etc. Rent in her area is high but she's not willing to pay less and live in a bad neighborhood. She's single and always lived with family so she'd be a nervous wreck.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I would lean toward job B, as well. She can work as much OT as she wants, and when she no longer needs to, no one will force her to. Job A, by demanding that she make herself available for last-minute schedule changes, to the point of forbidding a second job, is essentially demanding that she commit ALL of her time to them, even hours for which she is not going to be compensated. Work/life balance is more of a priority for me, but it sounds like job B is better, even in that respect.
I agree. She's a homebody anyway. It's not like she'd be neglecting a social life. In fact, I think the job would be a benefit bc she'd have more human contact.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,562,534 times
Quote:
Her balance is 60k. She was 3/4 through a BA at a good college but was guilted into caring for her father. She was 1/2 through when the guilt trip happened. She tried to keep going but kept having to drop classes which put her under the completion % for federal aid and she got jammed up with private loans for school and living expenses. It was obviously a bad decision and her family shouldn't have put her in the position to begin with. Now, they are dead, she's on her own. The lpn was the best bang for her buck bc it was 9 months and tbh, she was only being offered a bit more than minimum wage bc she'd been out of the workforce. I can empathize bc I got jammed up bc I cared for my gma. Don't ever do it!

She has 40k in savings and has thought about putting it all on the loans which would bring the payments down to $200/month. If she busted her butt for a couple years, she could pay off the rest, build up her savings again and probably get promoted at work. Other than the loans, she's debt free and lives very frugal. No cable, Internet, buying stuff, etc. Rent in her area is high but she's not willing to pay less and live in a bad neighborhood. She's single and always lived with family so she'd be a nervous wreck.
Wow, it's horrible that they did that to her! I hope at some point she can find a job with tuition assistance so she can complete her degree.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Wow, it's horrible that they did that to her! I hope at some point she can find a job with tuition assistance so she can complete her degree.
The job does offer tuition assistance. She's planning to use it.

The situation is hopefully temporary. She'd rather suffer for a couple years, get the loans under control, buy a small house and then be normal. The way the loans are now, she's not going to get out from under them until she's dead. I had her get on the interest rate reduction program a couple years but that's a year by year renewal. She's at 5% now but if the renewal doesn't get approved, it can be 8-12%.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:55 AM

7,960 posts, read 4,950,588 times
Quote:

College isn't worth a balance of 60k unless its for elite Ivy League schools (the best of the best) because chances are the return investment isn't worth spending that kind of money since employers do nothing but lowball candidates new to the workforce today.

If you're gonna go to 60K in debt 3/4 through school just for a BA (the new High school diploma) you better be going to Harvard, Yale, Johns Hopkins etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment