Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
sure they can... i usually at least know the people ahead of time before i apply. i ask people there what they are looking for so i can gauge how competitive i am.

some have even made a position so i can fill it, and "applying" was so hr had the paperwork

getting a job is not randomly sending applications into a void...
We get it. You and others like you are really great. Which should theoretically make you even more outraged than your average *******. You don't really think you are immune from the wage collapse, do you? Don't think for a second that you couldn't be making 2-3x what you are making in a healthy economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
But that is YOUR experience. Others can do the same thing and still not get the job. That is kind of the point people are making in this thread. It's not like you will get an interview to every single job you apply to. You can know people all you want, but it is still ultimately up to them who they will hire.
Sure I can, I do not apply for random jobs.

Be selective in what jobs you apply to, use your connections and network, know what jobs you are competitive for before applying

Not saying you get every job, but you should be interviewed with most applications

From here, it looks like you guys are applying to jobs and relying on a gamble to get interviewed... why would anyone rely on luck for something like a job?

Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
That's exactly the problem with "advice" that people like you want to give to people on these boards. Your perception of reality is YOURS and yours alone. That doesn't make it anyone elses. Telling people you don't know, will never meet and have no clue what happens in their lives to "just move"; "make better choices"; "do something else" makes as much sense as telling those same people "don't worry about it, it will all work out". The issue that I have (because I won't speak for anyone else) is when people like you equate your experiences as 'this is right, this will work for you because it worked for me' when that's not how life works.
They don't get it.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
I'm not sure what job's in particular you are looking for but from my experience in the IT Field I get calls from recruiters on a daily basis to fill Entry Level IT job's that pay okay ranging from 18$ - 26$ an hour depending on your experience , some are direct-hire while some are contracts not bad if you need a job right away.

You just need to be good with Customers and Tech Troubleshooting.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
To be fair, it also depends on what you do and where you are doing it. IT is a field with ever diminishing returns. What I mean by that is that as technology advances, there's less need for the IT professional. Take assembly line automation. As the computers get more powerful and the machines get smarter they're going to need LESS people to oversee them. Not more. IT departments are shrinking, not expanding. I would not go into IT as a career field going forward, I'd get some type of Engineering degree. Being the person who can design and build those machines is the future. That's a far cry from what IT used to be during it's heyday. As for that cert... look at how many certs have come and gone over the years. How much of that stuff is not used today the way it used to be. IT is good if you can specialize, but once that specialty is no longer needed you damn sure better have a backup plan.
Im not sure what your talking about but even with automation people are still going to call the help desk and IT will always be needed to maintain the oils on the machines.

Support will always be there because yea how many people get mad because they hate talking to an automated lady voice?

And what if your automation goes wrong?

Someone has to fix it

Old 10-28-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
There are plenty of jobs out there but you have to be the right fit for the job. I went on 2 interviews recently and one of them offered me the job. I am taking it. Put your resume on Indeed. That's how I got my new job and so did my husband. I am on Long island in NY and there seems to be plenty of people hiring.
I got all my jobs thru Indeed.com

Whenever I hear someone say they can't find a job or don't get interviews it usually boils down to quite some factors

If you are not getting any interviews :

- Your resume is the problem, I have seen many resumes where there's a lot of spelling and grammar error's and it's important to get rid of those simple errors and add great interesting projects or rewards you might have worked on or got awards for.

Now if you get interviews or go to many interviews but no offers it boils down to a few things

- bad luck - yea it happens there's always someone better than you however that doesn't mean you should give up keep selling yourself because someone will hire you

- you suck at interviewing - you don't know how to answer the interview questions right, you get nervous, you try to bs your skills, practice practice practice interviews are never easy prepare for them

- too expensive to hire - asking for 100k in an entry level position aint happening its very rare be realistic but depending on the job and area 35k - to 55k a year is generally what you should expect for entry level

- can't do basic things - research the company , dress professionally , not come to the interview on time etc

This is my experience in the IT field where there are definately always jobs however some industry have fewer openings

Old 10-28-2017, 04:13 AM

266 posts, read 245,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post

Whenever I hear someone say they can't find a job or don't get interviews it usually boils down to quite some factors

- Your resume is the problem, I have seen many resumes where there's a lot of spelling and grammar error's and it's important to get rid of those simple errors and add great interesting projects or rewards you might have worked on or got awards for.

Now if you get interviews or go to many interviews but no offers it boils down to a few things

- bad luck - yea it happens there's always someone better than you however that doesn't mean you should give up keep selling yourself because someone will hire you

- you suck at interviewing - you don't know how to answer the interview questions right, you get nervous, you try to bs your skills, practice practice practice interviews are never easy prepare for them

- too expensive to hire - asking for 100k in an entry level position aint happening its very rare be realistic but depending on the job and area 35k - to 55k a year is generally what you should expect for entry level

- can't do basic things - research the company , dress professionally , not come to the interview on time etc

This is my experience in the IT field where there are definately always jobs however some industry have fewer openings
Agree, I find these problems in all fields. Get your resume professionally done, it's worth it. At the very least, ask a friend/mentor to critique. Name/phone/email easy to find. I once had a candidate that had an email address that was emailsuziesmith@gmail.com (changed name for the obvious reason) I assumed it was supposed to be suziesmith@gmail.com... it wasn't. When I finally got a hold of him, he said he thought it was clever to use emailsuziesmith@gmail.com It wasn't.. it was confusing. Keep it simple.

Cover letter, it means a lot to some recruiters.

Dress professionally, leave your beverages/phone in the car, and keep your perfume/colognes at home.

Research the company, expect questions about why you applied to this job/company.

Interviews are nerve wracking, we know that. We expect some nervousness, and I have never held it against a candidate.

Follow up with a thank you note, and reiterate your interest.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM

482 posts, read 399,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
Get your resume professionally done, it's worth it. At the very least, ask a friend/mentor to critique.
+1. I strongly agree. I can think of at least one case where a well-qualified friend of mine went from no interviews to multiple offers after a few of us helped him clean up his resume. The importance of the resume really cannot be overstated, since in so many cases it's the first (and often only) chance to make an impression.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post

Or you have a poor work history and have too many gaps in employment and or short term positions. This wasn't mentioned but probably the biggest factor in why someone doesn't even make it to an interview

Old 10-28-2017, 02:59 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Or you have a poor work history and have too many gaps in employment and or short term positions. This wasn't mentioned but probably the biggest factor in why someone doesn't even make it to an interview
Of course that wasn't mentioned because the employer never does any wrong. The employer is ALWAYS fair in hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment