Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 03:11 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
sitting around and whining about it doesn't pay for your basic living either
Nope, thats why there is a proliferation of drug dealing/growing and other black market illicit activities. I predict that the dark web and black market activities (although not measured very acuratly) will start to catch up with legal (notice I did not say lagitimate) buisness ventures.

This is a very slippery slope, how long before engineers are selling their services to terrorists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 03:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Also rents have gone up to obscene levels. Even 30 miles outside Boston $2000 is the new $1000 for a basic one bedroom apartment plus utilities, amenity fees and parking. Anywhere within Boston or Cambridge or Somerville, the minimum is now $3000 a month. And if you decide buying is better, better make sure you include property taxes or the T in the monthly TOTAL PiTi mortgage payment.
Same thing is going on in the suburbs of NYC. Basically $100,000 a year is almost the absolute minimum for one person anywhere in the northeast. Of course there is alot of old money and keeping up appearances amongst millennials thru credit cards, somehow they can afford the latest iPhone and shop or eat out on Newbury Street in Boston most nights of the week

Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Nope, thats why there is a proliferation of drug dealing/growing and other black market illicit activities. I predict that the dark web and black market activities (although not measured very acuratly) will start to catch up with legal (notice I did not say lagitimate) buisness ventures.

This is a very slippery slope, how long before engineers are selling their services to terrorists?
Yes and the government and police are the biggest users of drugs and alcohol. It is well known that police officers are the biggest users and likely s3llers

Old 10-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Many college grads are earning in a few years what a skilled tradesman takes 10-20 years worth of experience to earn. True, some skilled tradesman work OT and make great money, but the younger generation typically favors time over money. They want careers that offer work life balance. A few generations ago, Americans were more interested in earning as much money as possible, and didn't mind working their lives away for it.

Times have changed, and so have we. If you ask me, we are becoming more like Europe. The America of yesteryear took a great deal of pride in working long hours in less than desirable working conditions. Many young people feel as if they would be taken advantage of unfairly if they had to work like that today.
The mentaility of milleneals are like europe but the govt regulation to bring employers into line has not caught up. If you look at Germany the skilled trades and engineers are unionized and treated like doctors in the USA. The unions have so much power that they can shut the nation down but yet Germany props up the entire EU's GDP.

The USA has a long way to go where our reality matches that of Europes, once milleneals out number boomers at the voting booth we might see it but as of right now boomers are still holding on to power and making life hell for everyone else. Job security in Europe is not even in the same solar system as the USA and thats what it takes to have work life ballance proliferate. Sure some employers might be compelled to offer such things on their own free will because the market compells it for CERTIAN field during CERTIAN times but most certianly not every one benifits.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Yes and the government and police are the biggest users of drugs and alcohol. It is well known that police officers are the biggest users and likely sellers of Steroids and Cocaine if they aren't feeding their alcohol and / or gambling addiction. Of course let's just believe the crap Fox News puts out you know that it is only low income people who are sitting home collecting government checks and using it on drugs

Old 10-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
The mentaility of milleneals are like europe but the govt regulation to bring employers into line has not caught up. If you look at Germany the skilled trades and engineers are unionized and treated like doctors in the USA. The unions have so much power that they can shut the nation down but yet Germany props up the entire EU's GDP.

The USA has a long way to go where our reality matches that of Europes, once milleneals out number boomers at the voting booth we might see it but as of right now boomers are still holding on to power and making life hell for everyone else. Job security in Europe is not even in the same solar system as the USA and thats what it takes to have work life ballance proliferate. Sure some employers might be compelled to offer such things on their own free will because the market compells it for CERTIAN field during CERTIAN times but most certianly not every one benifits.

Millennials have this almost sick and pathological obsession worrying about racism. Most have got to be some of biggest hypocritical bleeding heart limousine liberals.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
What I do is nothing special. I'm an engineering manager. I lead teams of engineers on construction and design projects. We will move to Florida not because of jobs but because that's where we have been wanting to relocate to for years.

How do I not have a problem with finding a job? I continually keep my skills updated, take my career very seriously, and make plenty of connections.

In another thread, I got into a debate with a bunch of introverts on here. A lot of them tried to make the same old "you're there to work, not to socialize" argument. It seems to me that a lot of people fantasize about getting a job where they can sit in the corner all day not having to say a word to anyone. Then they come here and whine about how tough the job market is.

Let me be more specific with how I got job offers months ahead of time in another state. I've been working on a huge project in a central state. My boss (vice president) and I are best buddies. Aside from socializing with him, we also discuss strategy for work on a regular basis. I also make sure I'm on good terms with everyone in other companies, private and public. How do you think we get the contracts? When I told my boss months in advance we will be moving to Florida and that I'd been eyeing this company in that area, he said oh I know the hiring manager in that company let me give him a call for you. When the hiring manager called me to interview, we spent the entire 40 minutes or so on the phone talking about ourselves on a personal level. I know about his wife, daughters, etc. Then he offered the job to me right away.

Let me explain that last bit a little more. See, after a certain level, pretty much everyone who applies to a position is qualified for the job. No question about it. What's even more important at that point is can you work with the person or will he be a pain in the rear on another level? At this point in my career, no one doubts if I can do the job. What they are more concerned with is can I work well with others and help grow the company and make everyone happy? I can't do that if I'm an office drone who hates to interact with people.

The saying "it's not what you know it's who you know" is kinda sorta true but not really. Yes, you will have to know how to perform the job. The who-you-know come into play because most people don't want to work with office drones.

And oh yeah, I have also gotten a job offer here where I'm at. I have gracefully declined explaining to them why. I'm good at my job and I get along well with everybody, even the pain-in-the-ass types.

So, ever since I got that job offer in Florida, I have gotten several other offers. I have a buddy in another company here whose father owns an engineering firm down there. He also wants me. See, had I been an office drone and not regularly hang out with my buddy, I wouldn't have had this other opportunity either.

Look, I know it's tough out there. I'm not denying people's experience. What I'm saying is because it is tough, you have to do whatever it takes to make yourself as marketable as possible. You want companies to want you. You want to be as advantageous as possible against other candidates. And like it or not, being social IS PART OF THE JOB. Fantasizing about having a cubicle in the corner and not having to interact with anyone at all is definitely not the right attitude.

So, I would argue that the "you're there to work not to socialize" crowd is simply wrong on this. The company is not just 1 person, you. The company is made of other individuals as well. You will have to socialize regardless of where. Just different levels. I socialize differently with my friends outside of work than my friends at work. But I still socialize. People aren't drones. That's just how the world works. May be one day the world will belong to office drones. But in the mean time, the best way to have job security is to be useful as well as getting along with others.
My issue is almost my entire network retired or are retiring soon, I obviously have more to my network than people pushing retirement age and may be getting a new job based on who I know. But having like 6 key people in my network retire has been a hit and now that I am out of the office (laid off) I am having to hope that the rest of the network I have pays off, then network again.

I hated being an office drone, I just got unlucky that so much of my network punched out, they still provide references and are legends in the field so having them on my reference list helps but they cant offer jobs directly anymore. And because SO MANY went away in a short time that legendary status will go away quick because they basicly all left at the same time (within a year to a year and a half).

I saw it coming in 2015 so worked to cross train into another disapline of engineering but I foolishly focused my effort on getting a fed job becasue then I would never have to worry about this stuff again, not knowing how ruthless it was going to be to get a fed job (virtually impossible, and I was not aware of how leveraging the various statues were).

Old 10-22-2017, 04:26 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
I agree, just FYI I am an engineer wtih a PE license (soon to have a second PE license). I was laid off and I am struggling to find new work that does not involve moving across the world. Dont think that because you are an engineer you are immune.
I have never thought that I was immune to the situation.

By the way, last year I fired a guy with a PE and an SE. On paper, he was the most qualified person on my team. In reality, he was one of the most incompetent engineers I have ever come across. He's got years and years of experience more than me. And yet, I often found myself having to hold his hand and walked him through a lot of the processes more than once. Toward the end, I could only trust him with the simplest tasks for the project, and even then I had to constantly double triple check his work.

Just saying. I don't care if you have 5 PEs. If you can't perform, what's the point of having all those licenses? And get this, word gets around.

I'm sorry, I have done this long enough to have come across people that have a basket full of PEs and 20 certs yet couldn't perform the simplest tasks competently. On paper, these guys are perfect candidates, though. This is one of the reasons why it's always safer to hire people who have been vouched by someone you can trust.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have never thought that I was immune to the situation.

By the way, last year I fired a guy with a PE and an SE. On paper, he was the most qualified person on my team. In reality, he was one of the most incompetent engineers I have ever come across. He's got years and years of experience more than me. And yet, I often found myself having to hold his hand and walked him through a lot of the processes more than once. Toward the end, I could only trust him with the simplest tasks for the project, and even then I had to constantly double triple check his work.

Just saying. I don't care if you have 5 PEs. If you can't perform, what's the point of having all those licenses? And get this, word gets around.

I'm sorry, I have done this long enough to have come across people that have a basket full of PEs and 20 certs yet couldn't perform the simplest tasks competently. On paper, these guys are perfect candidates, though. This is one of the reasons why it's always safer to hire people who have been vouched by someone you can trust.
Oh but the bleeding hearts and mainstream media never talks about this --- you know that the workplace is MUCH DIFFERENT than academia where you have social promotion, grading on curve, being able to get extra help to complete assignments, and of course cliques and fraternities in college.. Many of these kids realize that the real world is not fair and doesn't care if you succeed or fail (unlike the environment in that $60,000 a year private college that daddy is usually paying in full for)..

Old 10-22-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:

oh so please tell me what this utopian environment will look like in say 40 years when the millenials are 'in charge'.. I know that the thought of 'single payer' health care and a universal basic income gives you and many millenials a wet dream as well as preferential treatment for minorities to correct 'past injustices'.. You do realize that the period from end of WWII - the 1970s culminated in soaring interest rates, double digit inflation rates and out of control crime or you probably weren't alive back then (late 1970s- 1982)

Millennials who aren't getting a large inheritence are in for a rude awakening when they realize that they have nearly nothing saved for retirement because they spent whatever they made on rent, the latest iphone and flat screen TV's and rolling over car loans or leases every 2 or 3 years to so they drive the newest $50,000 SUV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment