U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM

1,042 posts, read 843,248 times

Advertisements

I admire his work, but I'm not exactly sure what his career was exactly. I'm looking into changing careers, and I have a vague inkling "maybe something like that"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM

2,244 posts, read 819,362 times
This quick blurb was extracted from Wikipedia:

Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science communicator in astronomy and other natural sciences

I'd summarize him as an academic with specialties in physics and astronomy. Get a PhD in either field, or both, and become a professor, write and public scholarly books/journals, and perhaps start a Youtube channel/TV program that discusses these topics.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:04 PM

39,424 posts, read 38,049,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I admire his work, but I'm not exactly sure what his career was exactly. I'm looking into changing careers, and I have a vague inkling "maybe something like that"
What do YOU think he did that made you think you may want to "do something like that"?

He was incredibly smart and influential, and had a way of making very difficult scientific subjects accessible to regular people.

Which aspect of his career did you want to imitate?? He was an author as well as a scientist.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,251,636 times
To have a career even remotely resembling that of Carl Sagan, you're going to need a lot of education. Lots. At bare minimum, a PhD in one of the hard sciences. It will take a lot of work and effort to fill Mr. Sagan's shoes.

The extensive, intensive education will be just the beginning. His career and success came from the passion he had for his fields of study. That is what drove his pursuit of knowledge. He was also a naturally gifted communicator, so he was able to make some very difficult concepts accessible to the rest of us.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,092,655 times
In addition to all the schooling you need, he was most likely born with a unique and an extraordinary brain. All the school in the world can't help you with that. If you are serious about it though you should start school now as you have about 10 years or more ahead of you.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM

11,851 posts, read 7,781,375 times
He wasn't as innovative as Einstein or Hawkins with theorical physics but he was able to theorize the universe that we observe today with much higher instruments.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM

1,042 posts, read 843,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What do YOU think he did that made you think you may want to "do something like that"?

He was incredibly smart and influential, and had a way of making very difficult scientific subjects accessible to regular people.

Which aspect of his career did you want to imitate?? He was an author as well as a scientist.
He popularized science and took these really dense topics and made them entertaining and simple enough kids could follow it. He combined art and science in a way that really appealed to me, and while I got a bachelors in the humanities, I would have gotten a degree in one of the hard sciences if they was offered near my house. Also, while I started my college career in the social sciences, I fell into the humanities after I temporarily switch to be an education major then had to switch majors again to grieve the loss of my grandmother, so ended up with a bgs of liberal arts in humanities--which was alright, but not the degree I wanted. I'm thinking of doing alt-cert (a la iteach) into high school teaching and doing what I have to to get into some sort of science communication, if I don't do an MSW, since I also want to travel the world and see some of the places and phenomena he talked about. I know I seem all over the map, but Carl Sagan's Cosmos really inspired me.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:49 PM

15,143 posts, read 8,668,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
In addition to all the schooling you need, he was most likely born with a unique and an extraordinary brain. All the school in the world can't help you with that. If you are serious about it though you should start school now as you have about 10 years or more ahead of you.
I agree, these kinds of geniuses are born, not made in the way some think.

Dabbling in astronomy or any science simply because it's a hobby is one thing, absolutely no way to become a famous and respected scientist on a whim because you feel bored or have no idea what you want to do for a career after being laid off.

Life is not that easy.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 5 days ago)

13,538 posts, read 5,291,378 times
A professor at Cornell, where I attended. I never had him for any courses.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM

12,878 posts, read 9,548,823 times
Here's one of my favorite Carl Sagan stories:

In the mid-1990s, Apple Computer had a yet-to-be released new Macintosh model that had an internal code name: "Sagan." The Product Manager was a Cornell Alum, and was a huge Carl Sagan fan, so honored him by choosing the code name Sagan.

Then, Apple Computer received a letter from Carl Sagan's attorney. Carl had read about the project & its code name, and asked his attorney to contact Apple. The letter was not nice. It was a "cease & desist" demand.

Apple complied. The product manager renamed the project code name BHA.

When asked what BHA stood for, he was very forthright: Butt-Head Astronomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or