Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 05:52 AM

403 posts, read 666,230 times

Advertisements

Despite having perfect attendance before yesterday (after being at my place for a while), I got written up by an assistant manager for being 3-4 minutes after calling in ahead of time because of an actual emergency, with them deciding to say that it was a 'consistent no-call, no show' just to intentionally make it so people notice the write up more. When another coworker actually was a no-call, no show on that day (for not feeling like showing up to work, as they disclosed when they shown up a week later), and the manager let them get away with it. I was then written up not being available to cover one shift for this coworker when I had something urgent come up, when it's not even company policy to cover up for somebody to do this. I even have covered up for everybody else more than anybody else has.

Other coworkers have noticed that this person has a ridiculous vendetta against me, and they've commented that they love to bully me whenever another manager/the general manager isn't around to witness it. Therefore, I'm not surprised by the fact that they would do something like this. Can other managers look at these? If so, then what can I do to prevent these from happening in the future? I'm literally trying freaking out about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 06:11 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I'd speak to the manager who wrote you up. What type of job is this??? I certainly would not stand for this BS!!! You had an emergency. Do you have proof??? I also wouldn't let them push you around. stop covering up for other people and taking the heat for it.I'd start looking for another job if I were you. If the job isn't worth the stress then find something else. But I'd talk it out with the manager. I did a similar thing at my job. Since having that talk It's been better however I was offered another job and I am taking it. I start in 3 weeks.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Do you have an HR department or do you think that you can talk to a general manager or another manager who would listen to you? In any case, I would document what happened and ask that it be placed in your personnel file, keeping a copy for yourself. I did this in a similar situation once, and she backed off -- but I had the support of everyone else in my department and even the president of the company. (My supervisor might have been jealous of this.)

Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Meet with your manager and ask about the disparity in treatment. Ask your manager to show you the policy where you can be written up for not covering another shift.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM

146 posts, read 100,061 times
Would speak to the managers manager - it is clear the manager in question is beyond reason.

What type of work do you do and how long have you been there? It's difficult to fathom that you are so important that not being at work is causing some horrible downstream effect requiring a counseling. If you haven't been there long it may be difficult to have much leverage when escalating above the problem manager.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
When I started my very first job, I was in the back waiting to wash my hands (which we had to do before clocking in) and so I clocked in 3 mins late and was wrote up along with 2 others who were washing hands. I was so upset at the time, but it literally didn't matter. This manager wrote everybody but her favorites up and I was new. In the end, I was still promoted and was higher up than her in less than 6 months.

First you need to know company policy, its the best way to protect yourself. Know your rights and know the rules.
I worked where we had to write people who called off up, even if it was an emergency. If it was less than 5 hours in advance, it was a write up. If they produced an excuse, it was deleted. Clocking in over 2 mins late was allowed to be a write up, but nobody else was ever that strict about it (except the one). Also they can't say you are a consistent no-call, no-show with no previous write-ups?

Picking and choosing who to write up is a problem and I cant imagine where not covering someone else's shift for them
would be a write-up?? Unless you agreed to work it and called off last second. If you agreed to cover it, it was no longer their shift, its now yours and your responsibility. I'm not saying I'd have wrote up, or even should, just they might be allowed. But again, If they are letting it slide for everybody else, it's still a problem.

Do you work in food or retail? Sounds exactly like when I worked in food. I am going to guess this is some type of shift manager or lead? I'd talk to the GM or HR if you are being bullied and mistreated. You've had two write-ups your entire time of working there; I had people with upwards of 15 and were fine. Where I was, every manager could see each persons write-ups. When I was the GM I always reviewed them and could see when certain managers were going power crazy and being totally out of line. Those were always deleted/ignored. That's just where I was, it could vary.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 PM

403 posts, read 666,230 times
It's not the company policy, but they wanted to do it since 'they felt like it'. I did ask the general manager about it, and they mentioned that they are going to trust what he did (without looking at it) since he supposedly knows that he's way too nice/honest to do something like this.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Perhaps they did not appreciate you going into work with an eye infection and having to send you home.
I urge you to find a different place of employment soon, this position does not seem to be compatible with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment