Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 AM

34,159 posts, read 18,436,513 times

Advertisements

How stable is the previous company, and job? Government jobs for better, or worse seem to be lifetime employment unlike the private sector who can layoff at a whim due to financial accountability the public sector does not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,269,952 times
Wait... you haven't even started the new job yet, right? And you are ALREADY figuring out ways to return to your old company?

Why not give the new job a chance? If you walk in day one thinking, "If I don't like it I can always go back to the other job," then you'll walk in day one nitpicking every little thing that is different from the first job, and talk yourself into going back.

Give the new job a chance. If you want, stay on good terms with your old boss, but as G-fused said - don't look back. Move forward with the new job and give it 100%.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 AM

17,106 posts, read 21,763,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

sure you pay into pension, but it's pretax so it lowers your already high taxable income, $170k is taxed even more
170 is taxed the same from 91K to 191K.....28% bracket.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:36 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,338,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I recently declined a 170K counter offer (a huge pay increase) from my employer to take a government position that had a lower salary but other pros such as a pension, excellent benefits, etc.
Go back to the higher salary position.

Government jobs' benefits are not what they once were. I'd much rather stay a gov't contractor and make higher wages than being stuck in a position forever with increased whenever the gov't decides to bring me up another level.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,494,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
170 is taxed the same from 91K to 191K.....28% bracket.
same bracket, but $170k still gets taxed more... there is more there to tax is what i meant

Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 AM

34,908 posts, read 31,015,053 times
To me, once you've cross that bridge, you've crossed it. There is a loss of faith on both sides. While it may work short-term, there is always a "cheating spouse" line of thinking in the employer's mind.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,136,583 times
Quote:
it wasn't a 170k bump, it was likely 140-150k vs 170k

found old thread where he asked
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ffer-pick.html
The "old thread" was from last week, and OP stated he/she made a decision based on analysis of pros and cons of each opportunity. So why are you already second-guessing yourself, OP, before even having made the move? Is it purely the salary difference that has you wondering if you made the wrong decision? What about those pros and cons?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 AM

6,566 posts, read 11,217,955 times
There is zero rules on a window. There are so many factors - Your relationship with the organization as well as your manager, your manager's personality, their current need, any organizational policies that may prevent a re-hire, etc.

I have a few managers that I've stayed in touch with. Should I ever need to return, I know they'll always take me back... as long as they have a position open (or need).

The most you can do is simply keep in touch. Provide recommendations/answers if they ever ask. In this case, since it's fairly immediate, you can always just ask to go back by saying things didn't work out as planned. There's no guarantee. But you can only be honest.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,117,165 times
Personally I am curious what the OP did in three months on the job that made his boss love him so much that after a mere three months in the job he wanted him to stay so bad that he offered him a $60K raise to stay. And then when the OP shows so little regard for the job that he is willing to leave after three months, Boss offers to take him back if things don't work out.
That all seems very odd to me.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,826,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Nobody will know the answer to this of course. However, I get the feeling and thought you are having.

You took the new job. It was probably a long and painful decision that took into account the salaries and benefits. You made the decision - my advice is that you focus on what's in front of you. Don't go in looking for negatives so that you can justify going back. Stay connected with your old boss and colleagues for professional and other purposes. But don't look back. Go in with gusto and focus on the new gig and the new org and the new people.

I'm at a similar level as you and I get the mouth watering bump. Feels good on the old ego and would put a kick in your step knowing you are closing in on 200k. Forget it, move forward and take the offer you got as a compliment rather than anything else. Besides, who knows what'll happen in 3-5 yrs. Life moves fast these days. Keep in touch with your network and concentrate on what's in front of you.

Congrats and best of luck.
You probably know how much of a difficult decision it was. And deep down I know there is no way to know for sure which job is better until I've been at each for a while...SOMEONE has some kind of point that will make this crystal clear though perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
A person is not hired for 'loyalty',they are hired for skills and revenue.
Usually when the original 'parting' is under good terms,the former employer keeps a door open. It's a business,not a social club.

Our boss often wished the person well,accepted their resignation with good will and the few who did return..Didn't stay much more then a year.

As or if I was your former boss..I'd find your behavior skiddish. It would take a walk on water to bring you back. Normally I'd have hired or delegated your tasks to another.
I personally think you are projecting and setting yourself up with this backup plan. Without considering this new job to be a new avenue of growth.

That was one thing I factored into the analysis I did on this. More than 90% of people are gone within 12-18 months after accepting a counter offer...So I figured that 170K wouldn't last long, while the gov job has a total compensation package that is much better overall. The 170K is not that much after taxes...I was making 155K a few months ago and the 170K is barely 1K a month extra from that after taxes...That's basically what it would be if I vested in the pension, which I could likely do if I moved around within the gov....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Is your boss who offered you this chance to return the owner of the company and has final say on whether you can come back? I don't know your company but most companies would have the common sense not to bring someone back who really has shown no loyalty. You're not even trying to fake it.
My boss is not the owner but he got the owners approval for the initial offer. The owner knows my performance, he and I met. They had other people in this position before who couldn't come anywhere close to what I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How stable is the previous company, and job? Government jobs for better, or worse seem to be lifetime employment unlike the private sector who can layoff at a whim due to financial accountability the public sector does not have.
There does seem to be much less chance of mergers and acquisitions than the private sector...But this doesn't quantify into a clear choice between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Wait... you haven't even started the new job yet, right? And you are ALREADY figuring out ways to return to your old company?

Why not give the new job a chance? If you walk in day one thinking, "If I don't like it I can always go back to the other job," then you'll walk in day one nitpicking every little thing that is different from the first job, and talk yourself into going back.

Give the new job a chance. If you want, stay on good terms with your old boss, but as G-fused said - don't look back. Move forward with the new job and give it 100%.

I actually had lunch with another guy who just started there half a year ago. He thinks the gov job is better and he left a Director role at a major company with a rather lucrative counter offer as well though not as big. But he can't save money and needs the government pension to do it for him automatically.

Maybe I should give the job a chance. I was super anxious to go back back to the old job within the first couple of hours on the job today when I realized I was just a cog in a wheel and not really in charge anymore...

Quote:
same bracket, but $170k still gets taxed more... there is more there to tax is what i meant
Yeah, it's barely 24K a year more after taxes, despite it being 40K more than my gov job....Though it's only 12K a year more than the private sector job salary wise if I vest in the pension....plus I have more PTO at the new job and way better insurance and benefits in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, once you've cross that bridge, you've crossed it. There is a loss of faith on both sides. While it may work short-term, there is always a "cheating spouse" line of thinking in the employer's mind.
VERY true, and something I've thought about. It's going to look really weird if I go back now. Not only do I burn a bridge with my gov employer but people are going to wonder why I came back....Though I'm not sure I'd care when I'm counting 170K salary after going back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
The "old thread" was from last week, and OP stated he/she made a decision based on analysis of pros and cons of each opportunity. So why are you already second-guessing yourself, OP, before even having made the move? Is it purely the salary difference that has you wondering if you made the wrong decision? What about those pros and cons?
It likely wouldn't be as big a deal if I was a policy maker here at the new job. At my last role I was, in this role, I execute the policies made my those above me, but in my last role I was in a relatively small company. By the way, this colleague of mine at the new job is also having a tough time adjusting to that, as he too was a policy maker before. We are now worker bees. He too received a counter offer but not as generous and he is terrible at saving so he need the pension.

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 10-30-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment