Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times

Advertisements

Background:

I recently declined a 170K counter offer (a huge pay increase) from my employer to take a government position that had a lower salary but other pros such as a pension, excellent benefits, etc. I had just been on the job for 3 months. I didn't go out and look for another job because I was unhappy, it was just that the government interview process is lengthy and started at the same time I interviewed for the job I have now.

One never knows if they made the right call in these situations until after they've actually started the new job and been there for a while. But I still worry that I made a mistake by declining the 170K. I start the new job tomorrow.

That said, there appears to be the possibility of returning if I don't like the new job, but I'm sure it won't be open forever. My boss was very sad that I was leaving. He said to keep in touch in case things don't work out....

He did have a backup from the original interview process (three months ago....) though so that return window may not be forever, though I think he would hire me into a different role if he filled my old one.

Question:

How long do you think this window of opportunity to return would be? He may hire the runner up if he's still looking. BUT, I think he would hire me into another role instead.

And...

How exactly would you start the conversation to return? I thought about maybe emailing him some solutions to existing problems for some of that role expansion he wanted me to take on as part of the 170K bump. I think that would pique his interest in resolving a long standing problem in their process and subtly show an interest in returning.

But I'm open to suggestions on how best to broach this topic if it comes to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 06:40 PM

416 posts, read 408,514 times
Mod cut.

What was your base before and now?

How much does the 170k “bump” matter? (Hard to believe you ignored 170k. Betting it was 17k)

Which job has more legs?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
it wasn't a 170k bump, it was likely 140-150k vs 170k

found old thread where he asked
Which offer to pick?

Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it wasn't a 170k bump, it was likely 140-150k vs 170k

found old thread where he asked
Which offer to pick?
I said it was 170K salary, a huge BUMP from what I was making at the new job I started a few months ago. It was a bump from 110K to 170K, though my last job paid 155K. New job that I took pays 130K.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It was a bump from 110K to 170K, though my last job paid 155K. New job that I took pays 130K.
with a 1%/year pension

it would take about $30k invested/year to get back the $1,300/year, if you can invest an additional $30k/year... and live on $140k/year salary, it isn't much different. Then you can add 401k/tsp into calculations if you want but the pension/salary difference along isn't too great

sure you pay into pension, but it's pretax so it lowers your already high taxable income, $170k is taxed even more

it's a rough estimate, but following the "4% safe draw" and the 1%/year pension, it usually takes about a 25% salary increase and it has to be entirely invested to come out even. Taxes throw calculations off but it's a guesstimate for quick comparison, at least you know it isn't entirely low balled

Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
with a 1%/year pension

it would take about $30k invested/year to get back the $1,300/year, if you can invest an additional $30k/year... and live on $140k/year salary, it isn't much different. Then you can add 401k/tsp into calculations if you want but the pension/salary difference along isn't too great

sure you pay into pension, but it's pretax so it lowers your already high taxable income, $170k is taxed even more

it's a rough estimate, but following the "4% safe draw" and the 1%/year pension, it usually takes about a 25% salary increase and it has to be entirely invested to come out even. Taxes throw calculations off but it's a guesstimate for quick comparison, at least you know it isn't entirely low balled
I like the way you think. I did calculate what the after tax difference was. It's only 24K a year. My insurance benefits are almost worth that, not to mention the pension or PTO.

Still, it's difficult to turn down 170K and I'm tempted to go back, but at this point I have to see what the new job is like.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:12 PM

no idea about return window

at least for me, opm says something about a 6 month return window but i don't know the specifics, so you could in theory leave current job and try it out and return later, but... you haven't been in the current job long and i dont think opm applies to ses positions since they are appointments

Old 10-29-2017, 09:31 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Is your boss who offered you this chance to return the owner of the company and has final say on whether you can come back? I don't know your company but most companies would have the common sense not to bring someone back who really has shown no loyalty. You're not even trying to fake it.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:15 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
A person is not hired for 'loyalty',they are hired for skills and revenue.
Usually when the original 'parting' is under good terms,the former employer keeps a door open. It's a business,not a social club.

Our boss often wished the person well,accepted their resignation with good will and the few who did return..Didn't stay much more then a year.

As or if I was your former boss..I'd find your behavior skiddish. It would take a walk on water to bring you back. Normally I'd have hired or delegated your tasks to another.
I personally think you are projecting and setting yourself up with this backup plan. Without considering this new job to be a new avenue of growth.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Nobody will know the answer to this of course. However, I get the feeling and thought you are having.

You took the new job. It was probably a long and painful decision that took into account the salaries and benefits. You made the decision - my advice is that you focus on what's in front of you. Don't go in looking for negatives so that you can justify going back. Stay connected with your old boss and colleagues for professional and other purposes. But don't look back. Go in with gusto and focus on the new gig and the new org and the new people.

I'm at a similar level as you and I get the mouth watering bump. Feels good on the old ego and would put a kick in your step knowing you are closing in on 200k. Forget it, move forward and take the offer you got as a compliment rather than anything else. Besides, who knows what'll happen in 3-5 yrs. Life moves fast these days. Keep in touch with your network and concentrate on what's in front of you.

Congrats and best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment