U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM

5,676 posts, read 10,209,153 times
Default Employment "Gap"??

It has been 5 months since I left my last job and we moved from Colorado to North Carolina. As of today, I have not found a job yet in my career area of Purchasing/Inventory Management. I like the career area I'm in and don't want to change it (kind of late to change now when I'm almost 59 years old). When we got here we did get a Business License for an in-home small business of photography but it is not bringing in very much income. It was intended only to be a part-time business anyway.
Now, since I've actually been out of a job since last Oct., if I keep my resume the way it is, I will have a 5 month "dead" gap from my last job until now. I don't think that would be an easy thing to try and explain....."can't find a job, no one wants me" is not what I'd want to say to a potential employer. What I can do is put my home business on my resume starting last Oct to current and say that I'm now looking for a full-time job. Perhaps that would look better on the resume and easier to explain.
Your thoughts???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,630,282 times
Please, 5 months is nothing.
I have a ten year gap. I am not hiding in a corner shuddering like many people here on this site.
Complaining and blaming 'age' or 'racism' or 'uglism' or whatever is not going to get anyone a job.

Just get out there and do it. (I am now taking my own advice instead of waiting for 'the perfect job').

Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 18,131,385 times
A gap in the resume is not necessarily a big deal, if you have relocated or another major life event it is readily explained.

The problem gaps are when you "took 3 months off to hang out". We just passed on an otherwise-good candidate who did just that.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 AM

5,676 posts, read 10,209,153 times
I'm not complaining, but still looking for a job after 5 months can be a question that someone could ask "why". And, I agree with my wife, due to certain physical limitations, I absolutely can not take any type of job. I love Purchasing/Inventory Management and have been-will continue to look in that area. It took me almost 10 months to find a job in Colorado when we moved there from California. What I don't want is for a company to see on my resume' that I've been looking for a job for the last 5 months, whereas, if I put my in-home business on my resume, I will be only showing a month that I was out of work.
One thing is for sure, when a person gets "choosey" about the kind of job, hours, salary they want, finding a job can get much harder. But, "choosey" is the way my wife wants me to be. I've got the experience and education (some) to be abe to back-up being "choosey". It's just that the job situation here sure isn't the greatest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Please, 5 months is nothing.
I have a ten year gap. I am not hiding in a corner shuddering like many people here on this site.
Complaining and blaming 'age' or 'racism' or 'uglism' or whatever is not going to get anyone a job.

Just get out there and do it. (I am now taking my own advice instead of waiting for 'the perfect job').

Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,092,856 times
Here in Charlotte? Nah...they know the job market is hard...that's why you're looking! The flags are the gaps...they are the ones you need to think about explaining, as well as employment under a year.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM

116 posts, read 295,806 times
Default I have hired tons of people and have advice

More and more employers use special software to screen applicants. If you have a resume on Moster or Hotjobs or something similar the employer can screen out any using a variety of vehicles including not wanting anyone who lists more than ten years of employment or has a graduation date before 1990. They can also sort by employed or unemployed. It is human nature that employers want to be around people who are winners. Most employers want someone young, employed and sorting through many job offers. If you come across as old, unemployed and desparate you will remain jobless for years.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,780,389 times
Tell them you were on vacation in Italy. Just make sure to back yourself up with some facts if they question it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:42 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,225,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
More and more employers use special software to screen applicants. If you have a resume on Moster or Hotjobs or something similar the employer can screen out any using a variety of vehicles including not wanting anyone who lists more than ten years of employment or has a graduation date before 1990. They can also sort by employed or unemployed. It is human nature that employers want to be around people who are winners. Most employers want someone young, employed and sorting through many job offers. If you come across as old, unemployed and desparate you will remain jobless for years.

Good Lord, you are a bastion of hope, aren't you. I already know (from another post of yours) that your employer horses around more "mature" applicants and doesn't hire them. It would be more ethical and honest if they just told them that they're "unemployable" by their standards, but of course, they wouldn't do that because we can't have them sued for age discrimination, can we. It is human nature to want to be around winners, but people that discriminate aren't winners, they're the TURKEYS of society, not the eagles who others wish to soar with. You might want to check to see who you associate with. It doesn't sound to me like you're soaring with the eagles, sounds more like you're hanging around losers.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,204,262 times
I would put that 5 months on your resume as self-employed photographer or whatever you were doing. Then in a cover letter or at the screening interview say you discovered you much preferred working in the traditional workforce and the photographer thing is better for you as a hobby.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,051,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I would put that 5 months on your resume as self-employed photographer or whatever you were doing. Then in a cover letter or at the screening interview say you discovered you much preferred working in the traditional workforce and the photographer thing is better for you as a hobby.
I totally agree with this. You still have your business licensing so that would support your actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment