Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I had been on one team that was bombarded with 'Secret Santa' emails. Not one of us was a Christian (Hindu, Muslim and the one Jew). We were in the US. This stupid company even put up a Christmas tree in our security entrance while we were away for the weekend.

There is nothing wrong with a company located in the U.S. putting up a Christmas tree. As I stated earlier, a decorated tree symbolizes nothing religious; however, it is an acceptable tradition in the U.S. As far as the Secret Santa emails go, I can see that being more annoying and bothersome as it's trying to include everyone, but it still has nothing to do with religion. "Santa" is also just a U.S. tradition and not religious in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Anti social person, get rid of them
The OP might not have that power, plus it could get dicey when religion is involved... even if HR doesn't think it's tantamount to "persecution," the employee could see things differently and "lawyer up" if they're fired. So I don't think this is the answer, although I'm not sure what is!

Also, this doesn't necessarily mean they are anti-social, if it truly does violate their religious beliefs to "participate" in holidays. Like others have mentioned, I assume they're Jehovah's Witness, since they seem to be most anti-holiday to this degree. I'm Jewish myself, but have never complained or made a big deal of Christmas celebrations, decorations, etc. Even Muslims don't react like this, typically, so it's probably a JW issue. Anyway, sorry I don't have any suggestions for the OP; just wanted to respond to your comment here.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
There is nothing wrong with a company located in the U.S. putting up a Christmas tree. As I stated earlier, a decorated tree symbolizes nothing religious; however, it is an acceptable tradition in the U.S. As far as the Secret Santa emails go, I can see that being more annoying and bothersome as it's trying to include everyone, but it still has nothing to do with religion. "Santa" is also just a U.S. tradition and not religious in any way.
There isn't anything technically WRONG with it, but I can relate to the person you quoted - as my workplace is MINORITY Christian, with more of us being Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, or non-religious. And yet we still have Christmas parties (not "holiday parties"), and other Christian-related symbols or celebrations occasionally. It's a public/government building, so nothing overtly religious like a cross, but still.

For the record, I (and my non-Christian colleagues) do tolerate these as minor annoyances. I just find it a bit lacking in consideration, when literally MORE of us are something other than Christian! It would be like having only a Chanukah party, if 3 out of 20 staff members were Jewish. Can you imagine the complaints and backlash if that happened? And yet we're supposed to just smile and take it, like we do every year, because the national (not local) majority celebrates Christmas. I will admit, there's something quintessentially "American" about a Jewish person being Secret Santa to a Hindu.

And yes, Christmas symbols - including Santa and trees - are inherently CHRISTIAN by association. It's a far cry from passing out rosaries and doing the sign of the cross, but for those of us who are of a different religion (not just "atheist" or "agnostic") would disagree with you there. Why do you think Jews and Muslims don't typically celebrate CHRISTmas? Thanksgiving and Independence Day are American holidays, Christmas is not.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-02-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No, We are hired to do a specific job for that company. We are NOT there to be assimilated into some culture.
Yes you are. You need to get along with your coworkers! If you deliberately fail to do so, you're headed out the door. I'm not talking about participating, I'm talking about being polite and having a good attitude. You sound, at least to me, that you refuse to be cordial - or at the very least, not to treat everyone kindly. Frankly, you are coming across as being arrogant and dismissive, but that could be how it sounds after reading your posts - maybe you are different IRL. If that's the case, my sincere apologies.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I used to work with a JW who never celebrated anything. Very odd duck, in many ways. Anyways, our company gave Christmas gifts to all employees, as well as a Christmas dinner. Never once did I ever see this JW refuse the meal or the gifts.
I work with a JW and he never takes part in holiday dinners, but when someone gets promoted and moves on and has a dinner, he always takes part and can eat the weight of two men.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
If a Christian were to holler "NEVER show me anything like that AGAIN" after being shown a symbol of the Jewish, Muslim, or any other non-Christian faith, he'd be disciplined at best, or tossed out on his ear at worst, for being non-tollerant of others' religions.

Double standard.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
If a Christian were to holler "NEVER show me anything like that AGAIN" after being shown a symbol of the Jewish, Muslim, or any other non-Christian faith, he'd be disciplined at best, or tossed out on his ear at worst, for being non-tollerant of others' religions.

Double standard.

It certainly does seem that way.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Since the employee is offended by Halloween, which is in no way a religious holiday, they've thrown the religious intolerance out the window.

When ONE employee makes it difficult for 50 other employees, it is time to remove that employee.

Your one a$$clown is not a protected class of persons. They are just a difficult employee.
It absolutely IS a religious holiday. Do sime research on Paganism and Wicca; Samhain (Halloween) is the Pagan New Year.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
"Hello, Boss? I want a special path to my office so I don't have to pass by the Hanukkah or Ramadan displays of my officemates."

Buh-bye.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:

Double standard.
Quote:
"Hello, Boss? I want a special path to my office so I don't have to pass by the Hanukkah or Ramadan displays of my officemates."

Buh-bye.
Get off your christian high horse. Jehovah’s Witnesses are a Christian denomination, albeit a somewhat controversial one.

Christians get Christmas off as a state holiday. Nobody bats an eye when Christians take time off at Easter, or Catholics come in late with smudges on their forehead on Ash Wednesday.

Christianity may not be as privileged as it has been in past decades, but it is still the most dominant, most privileged religion in the USA.

OP posted a legitimate thread about work on a work forum. Take your aggrieved sense of Christian persecution to the religion forum and whine there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment