Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:33 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,453,751 times

Advertisements

I have an employee who does not celebrate holidays due to religious beliefs. All fine and good and people respect this. Employee doesn't do birthdays either and leaves the room if there is a celebration.

However we had a pumpkin decorating contest across the entire organization. People got into it. One employee showed this individual a picture of their handiwork, forgetting that they did not celebrate. The employee was so angry they said "NEVER show me anything like that AGAIN!" and reported that they were being "forced" participate in a holiday related activity.

Last year there was some kind of tree in our building lobby and this person took an alternate route so that they did not have to see it. We had to make sure that there was access open to their office and a path was cleared around the other side of the building.

I certainly applaud anyone's right to belief, but not being able to look at any holiday related items seems a bit over the top. I may not celebrate Jewish or Muslim holidays, but I am not offended by a menorah or by someone fasting over Ramadan.

I have to address this complaint and am working with HR who agrees that the mere presence of a carved pumpkin is not tantamount to persecution. Does anyone have this issue in the workplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Sad that one individual is probably going to be responsible for ruining any type of workplace enjoyment.

thankfully at my job ot takes a bit more to submit a complaint.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:57 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Anti social person, get rid of them

Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I have an employee who does not celebrate holidays due to religious beliefs. All fine and good and people respect this. Employee doesn't do birthdays either and leaves the room if there is a celebration.

However we had a pumpkin decorating contest across the entire organization. People got into it. One employee showed this individual a picture of their handiwork, forgetting that they did not celebrate. The employee was so angry they said "NEVER show me anything like that AGAIN!" and reported that they were being "forced" participate in a holiday related activity.

Last year there was some kind of tree in our building lobby and this person took an alternate route so that they did not have to see it. We had to make sure that there was access open to their office and a path was cleared around the other side of the building.

I certainly applaud anyone's right to belief, but not being able to look at any holiday related items seems a bit over the top. I may not celebrate Jewish or Muslim holidays, but I am not offended by a menorah or by someone fasting over Ramadan.

I have to address this complaint and am working with HR who agrees that the mere presence of a carved pumpkin is not tantamount to persecution. Does anyone have this issue in the workplace?
wow- this person is certainly a snowflake, not religion bashing, but that is insane! I've worked with folks who don't celebrate any holidays (birthdays included) for their religious reasons but they were always polite and recognized that not everyone shares their views. If you work in a corporate environment there will always be some type of celebration (most Christmas have changed to holiday party) and birthdays are sometimes done as "all the November birthdays are celebrated with cake on x" but no-one is forcing anyone to join-in.

i sincerely hope your HR has a good way to get this fact over to the employee- and btw, i'm sure their job is at-will so they can certainly choose to find a new employer if they would like

Old 11-01-2017, 05:20 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,417 times
Is this a Jehovah's Witness? If so, they are very cultish in nature and it took me years to break free of their grip after having been raised in it. I'm an atheist, now, so I actually will celebrate with people because I found out parties are awesome.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:25 PM

507 posts, read 458,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Is this a Jehovah's Witness?
That was my first thought. As a Jew, I don't celebrate Christmas but I certainly wouldn't get angry at someone who had a tree or sang Christmas carols.

I really hope this person doesn't ruin celebrations for everyone because they're so easily offended.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Sometimes, employees are like sand in vaseline. Best to pitch the jar and start over (If possible) otherwise, be advised they may try a "Lawsuit" for religious discrimination.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
What's the problem? Let the employee walk around Christmas tree or avoid pumpkins and birthday cakes. Let them do their thing and everyone else do theirs. You all can coexist together if YOU stop being concerned about the employee's personal adjustments.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:43 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's the problem? Let the employee walk around Christmas tree or avoid pumpkins and birthday cakes. Let them do their thing and everyone else do theirs. You all can coexist together if YOU stop being concerned about the employee's personal adjustments.
"However we had a pumpkin decorating contest across the entire organization. People got into it. One employee showed this individual a picture of their handiwork, forgetting that they did not celebrate. The employee was so angry they said "NEVER show me anything like that AGAIN!" and reported that they were being "forced" participate in a holiday related activity."

if only the employee was quite as understanding. true, let them walk whatever way they wish and avoid the other things but there was no reason for them to get so nasty about a mistake.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
"However we had a pumpkin decorating contest across the entire organization. People got into it. One employee showed this individual a picture of their handiwork, forgetting that they did not celebrate. The employee was so angry they said "NEVER show me anything like that AGAIN!" and reported that they were being "forced" participate in a holiday related activity."

if only the employee was quite as understanding. true, let them walk whatever way they wish and avoid the other things but there was no reason for them to get so nasty about a mistake.
Leave that employee alone completely and the problem goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment