Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 12:31 AM

137 posts, read 100,929 times

Advertisements

I work in an office of a relatively large church. My responsibilities include reception and we equally share the phone answering. There are 3 ladies in the office, including myself plus two priests.

Recently, I found out that I'm in kidney failure and will have to get a transplant as soon as I can get a donor. I was working 5 days a week, 8 hours a day with 30 minutes lunch break when I could get it. Because of my illness, I requested to shorten my hours down to six hours a day and my boss approved it under the ADA.

However, this means my coworkers have to cover my front desk duties 2 hours each day. Now keep in mind that there are really just the three of us since the priests are doing priestly things and that doesn't include office work. Since I've made this switch, I have not once asked my coworkers to help me get caught up (since I'm working less hours) and it's helped me to not need to miss as much time due to illness or appointments - I take care of all of those things during the time I'm off.

One of these coworkers gets to take an entire day off each week - either Monday or Friday. The other one leaves 2 hours early almost every day. But they ate treating me like they are angry that I requested a lesser schedule while I suffer with kidney failure. They are allowed to run all around going to the bank, picking up the toner for the copier, etc. I am expected to sit in my seat all day with zero breaks (they don't think I deserve lunch since I don't come in as early as they do. I can't even get up from my desk to go to the bathroom without it being a big deal where they constantly try to say "can you just hang on for a minute" and that minute becomes 15, 20 even 30 minutes. If I need to leave my desk to go to a different part of the building to run an errand or even just take 10 minutes to rest.

I'm a non confrontational person and both ladies are very much the opposite. How do I let them know that I appreciate them taking up the slack for my schedule change (keeping in mind that we're all working the same amount of hours and I cover for them just as often each week) but that I still need to take a few minutes to eat and a couple of breaks from the phone/front desk, even if it's just to go pray or meditate, de-stress. I have the added bonus of feeling really run down with 10% kidney function, so I physically need that break too.

Can someone write me a polite but clear script for what to say to them so we can resolve this? I really like my job, but due to the kidney issue, I need a little TLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 02:19 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Default You Must Stand Up for Yourself

You are going through a serious health issue and your coworkers must be considerate for your needs. I suggest taking what you need to do and not waiting on them for anything. It sounds like your coworkers think that they are your boss and can tell you what to do. That is completely absurd. You should tell them that your health needs require you to do this. You should also talk to your boss about this problem. Very un Christian behavior from your coworkers.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Why do you need a script?

Keep it simple and tell them upfront in a nice manner. Easy.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:26 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
It sounds as if you have let your coworkers take advantage of you based on personality differences. Sorry that it has come to this.

You are likely going to have to be confrontational to assert your rights. Is there a manager, HR, or similar that has overall responsibility for the office?

Old 11-03-2017, 07:55 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
You are being too nice and you are letting people take advantage of you. Say you are going to use the restroom and get up and go to the restroom. If the four day a week lady started to get snippy with me, I'd throw that right in her face. I will be polite; I will not take a bunch of crap.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:37 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
What a couple of bullies! Bathroom wise, when they start the "can't you just hang on" nonsense say, "No. I'm going now." Don't acquiesce in anyway to these women - they are not your boss, nor can they tell you what to do - if you need lunch, tell them you're going to take one. If you need a break, tell them you're going to take one. If you need to leave early or whatever, then tell them what you are doing and just do it. If they get all outraged, tell them, "Look - if you have a problem with what I'm doing, then go to (your manager who told you it was ok due to the ADA). I don't answer to you, I answer to (your manager)." Otherwise, I don't think they'll ever stop trying to bully you.

PS - I'm so sorry about your health issues - I have a stepson who recently got his long awaited kidney transplant and I watched what he went through, prior and post transplant. I hope you find a donor quickly, and are out of pain soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment