Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times

Advertisements

He should have been talked to when it was found out that he hadn't been working with the client.

Since he is not completely well and not managing his recovery well (is he addicted to his pain medication? Physical therapy will hurt at the beginning but should get better with time), he shouldn't be back at work. You are not professionals and should not be asked to help him keep his leg elevated/help him to the bathroom. It's not your job and the company could be held liable if he re-injuries himself on the job.

it's time to get HR involved to see what options are available to him since he has exhausted disability. Can he take a medical leave of absence until he gets better? Can he work part time? If he is coming in and claiming to work an 8 hour day, he needs to show results. If he can't, maybe it's time for him to pursue other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
What a mess! I feel for you. But it sounds like the problem is coming to a head and will be over soon.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Since he is not completely well and not managing his recovery well (is he addicted to his pain medication? Physical therapy will hurt at the beginning but should get better with time), he shouldn't be back at work. You are not professionals and should not be asked to help him keep his leg elevated/help him to the bathroom. It's not your job and the company could be held liable if he re-injuries himself on the job.
Actually, I believe he is an addict. When he was still here before this latest incident, I overheard him tell someone on the phone that his pain meds had been cut off. I wondered how he was able to continue to get pain pills for two years. Then he tried to go to the local Pain Center and they denied him because he wasn't able to prove he was in any pain. He outright told us this much.

Just last week, he posted on social media that his doctors had all cut off his pain meds again. I noticed his followers are dwindling, and nobody signed up to take his family meals to his home from church. So people are seeing what is going on.

HR is aware of the whole situation.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
convextech -- Sorry you are having such work troubles. The scariest thing I see coming across in your post is the part about his wife asking the co-workers to "help him get to the bathroom". You also mentioned this man weighs 400+ lbs, I think. Do not do this!!! If your employer is a smart enough guy to make all this money with a great product, he should be smart enough to have some common sense. The liability issues of a non-medical trained employee assisting in any way with a 400 lb employee and his toileting issues are enormous!!!!! From an insurance standpoint, it sounds like the company-owner may be violating insurance rules.

What if this guy fell on top of you? Or the company owner? Or anyone? This is crazy!!

By the way, I have gone around the office scouting the area for an empty cardboard box for a co-worker to use to temporarily elevate their leg. Thanks just being nice. But I suspect there is more to that issue too.

Today is Monday. Please post tonight if you can, and give us a follow-up. I hope things work out.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:34 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
convextech -- Sorry you are having such work troubles. The scariest thing I see coming across in your post is the part about his wife asking the co-workers to "help him get to the bathroom". You also mentioned this man weighs 400+ lbs, I think. Do not do this!!! If your employer is a smart enough guy to make all this money with a great product, he should be smart enough to have some common sense. The liability issues of a non-medical trained employee assisting in any way with a 400 lb employee and his toileting issues are enormous!!!!! From an insurance standpoint, it sounds like the company-owner may be violating insurance rules.

What if this guy fell on top of you? Or the company owner? Or anyone? This is crazy!!
I wondered about this as well. You need a Hoyer lift to move someone that size and I'm guessing that like offices all over America, you don't happen to have one sitting around. Nor should any non-medical personnel be expected to use it.

My guess is that the toileting issue is why he's planning to leave early every day.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Wtf...help him to the bathroom?

Aw helllllnah.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Today we come in and the coworker's wife has delivered him to his desk in a wheelchair, telling us to make sure he keeps the leg elevated and to help him get to the bathroom.
"I am afraid that this company has not designated me or anyone else to be the company Nurse, maybe you should speak with HR first?"

I'd then go back to my work and ignore her....and him.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
You have proved that life is unfair. Like my uncle told me when he was teaching me to play poker at the age of 10, the only fair game you will ever play is checkers.
There is a reason that the company allows this. It probably is related to the reason your boss became a boss in the first place. You are not in the know. Just pay attention to your own job. Just accept and ignore what your boss doesn't do.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My guess is that the toileting issue is why he's planning to leave early every day.
Get this, he had on a boot, and was able to walk with crutches from the car to his chair, which I saw when I was pulling into the parking lot.

About two hours into his day, he calls the boss from his office (didn't answer), then me, "Hey, Convex?..." I didn't answer. So he gets up out of his chair and walks to the bathroom himself with crutches.

After that is when he asked to work from home.

You have no idea the lengths this guy has gone on social media and at church to get sympathy.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I highly doubt taking a person to the bathroom is in your job description, so ignore it & let him pee in his pants. If he cannot walk or move independently to the bathroom, then he should not be in the office. Maybe this is a ploy to get him on long term disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment