Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times

Advertisements

I would never move an injured person unless I had the medical training to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I highly doubt taking a person to the bathroom is in your job description, so ignore it & let him pee in his pants. If he cannot walk or move independently to the bathroom, then he should not be in the office. Maybe this is a ploy to get him on long term disability.
Not to mention that even for trained home health workers, a 400 pound person is a 2-person transfer because that is just too much weight for one person to safely handle without injury. That is just a whole lot of worker’s compensation claims there if other workers are asked to handle his and get injured. It seems like he is scamming the system if he can transfer on his own.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:01 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,319,627 times
OP, I don't know what profession you are in; but if you are not a RN or a HCA (Health Care Aide), and not hired by some company to take care of him, you don't have any obligation to help him with anything like elevating his legs and bringing him to the bathroom. That's not your job. His wife is insane to say such thing to you or any of the staff there at your workplace.

Even if you were a RN, HCA, working in a care center, you would not have to take care of a co-worker like that. He comes to the workplace to work to earn money, not to have somebody to take care of him, so he just sits there and gets a paycheck every two weeks or twice a month. And it is the company's responsibility to deal with his personal, physical problems.

I understand how stressful it is when you have to do your job plus the job of someone else. And that person does not do much and gets pay the same as you or even more. In addition, you have to babysit that person. It really burns you out. From what you wrote, that man won't be there much longer. In the meantime, be patient, calm and professional. Every dog has his day.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 11-06-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-06-2017, 12:02 PM

439 posts, read 345,344 times
I have a huge migrane headache yet this post struck me funny.

Read it to my husband who laughed

He said, "this guy's gotta be a relative of the owner of the company"

Curious minds want to know

Old 11-06-2017, 12:07 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I will likely never leave this employer. Our product is the best in the world, I am at the top of my game, with only more space to rise.

This is a right-to-work state, but with this guy coming back from disability, it would not be legal to not let him have his former position. I am fairly certain my boss is just waiting on him to screw up, or lie on his timesheet again, and then he can legally get rid of him.

Like I said, it's just a rant. There's nothing I can do about the situation except wait it out.
You cannot be forced to provide for his needs. Simply refuse. If he needs reasonable accomodations then the company will have to provide them. But making another co-worker take him to the bathroom is not reasonable.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:15 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
I have a huge migrane headache yet this post struck me funny.

Read it to my husband who laughed

He said, "this guy's gotta be a relative of the owner of the company"

Curious minds want to know
No, he is not. My boss does not support nepotism.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
He must have some kind of a hook. Do you know what it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
No, he is not. My boss does not support nepotism.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
If he can't work he needs to be on either short term or more likely long term disability or social security disabilty. The fact that the company keeps him on is ridiculous. The request of the wife for his coworkers to act as Nurse techs is even more ridiculous. This company even if they are as good as you say needs to get their act together and deal with this.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
He must have some kind of a hook. Do you know what it is?
He has no hook. My boss has just been a softie for too long, and felt sorry for him, until he found out everything he hadn't done, and that we almost missed a delivery date because of it. The big boss hasn't been in the office much either (traveling to new customers), so since the coworker never told him, nobody knew, til he was gone. Then the sh*t hit the fan.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
This company even if they are as good as you say needs to get their act together and deal with this.
Wholeheartedly agree.

We each have a team working for us, and we feel this is bad morale for everyone, to allow this to continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment