Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 AM

10,330 posts, read 5,500,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It doesn't matter. A smart (keyword: ) employer doesn't want to waste time and resources on legal issues, even if there's a high probability they'll prevail.
In thirty years I have seen MANY threats of a lawsuit over such issues. I’ve never seen a suit actually happen. What lawyer would take such a case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 AM

10,330 posts, read 5,500,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Even if they are being truthful or partially truthful most businesses will decide they don't want to fight over something that at the end of the day has no benefit to them. The business doesn't benefit by trashing a former employee and they simply accrue liability for nothing. Therefore if they are smart they will just give titles and dates of employment.
Tell us about the “fight” or the accrued liability that you have experienced in these situations.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,465,360 times
I usually vet my references. I would never choose to list someone who I either don't trust, who did not agree to being a reference for me. I would start there and maybe do as others have suggested to find someone who can call them up and see what info they are providing.

As far as HR departments go, the companies I have worked at only provide info on employment dates and whether you are re-hireable (i.e. left on good terms). HR doesn't even know who I am outside of my employee ID and whatever is in my permanent record. Maybe this is different at smaller companies, where everyone knows everyone.

Would there be a reason why you have been blacklisted that you know of?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Blacklisting someone over petty issues that can be ironed out through self-improvement is egregious. If you're going to attempt to blacklist someone who was fired for being late a few times, or who made one too many mistakes, there is seriously something sadistically wrong with you, and you probably need to see a therapist.

Blacklisting someone for embezzling funds or brandishing a weapon at the office or threatening another employee is justifiable. Obviously, those people are a threat to the rest of your workforce. And they probably need to seek out mental health.

Just remember that these people are trying to make a living so they aren't welfare leeches. If you want to pay for them to sit around at home because they can't get hired anywhere because of something you are saying about them, then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
A number of years ago when I worked in a different profession, I had a potential new employer call me and tell me that one of my references was trashing me, despite me leaving on good terms and her agreeing to be a reference for me. They agreed to talk with my lawyer and outline what they heard. A cease and desist letter was sent along with a notice if it happened again, we would be going to court and seeking damages as her comments could cause me a loss of income.
Bingo! When you attempt to blacklist someone over something petty or egregious, you're damaging their reputation and causing them a potential loss of income. People sue over this sort of thing all of the time, or at the very least, send cease and desist letters.

Last edited by Left-handed; 11-07-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 AM

13,631 posts, read 12,253,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating_narwhal View Post
Thanks for confirming. I just checked them and I'm not sure they have access to any of the systems that HR firms use. I suspect at this point, checking folks is not like the old days and you need access to talent management systems to move further with a check. Do you know any company that would access to them that does discreet reviews of your background?
Just because they all use a Taleo, Brass Ring, ADP, whatever, they don't talk to each other. They all use Excel, Outlook, and Microsoft word too...but they don't share hard drives.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 AM

13,631 posts, read 12,253,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
A cease and desist might work if the former employer is lying. However, if they are being truthful, nothing can be done. Truth is an absolute defense in those situations.
Quote:
Again, truth is an absolute defense. It is pretty much an insurmountable obstacle for any prosecution.
Quote:
In thirty years I have seen MANY threats of a lawsuit over such issues. I’ve never seen a suit actually happen. What lawyer would take such a case?
From the old Bobby Bare song:
Quote:
I'm gonna tell you just a little bout what it means to be a winner
He said now you see these bright white smilin' teeth you know they ain't my own
Mine rolled away like Chicklets down the street in San Antone
But I left that person cursin' nursin' seven broken bones
And he only broke ah three of mine that makes me the winner
He said now behind this grin I got a steel pin that holds my jaw in place
A trophy of my most successful motorcycle race
And each morning when I wake and touch this scar across my face
It reminds me of all I got by bein' a winner
Ever been in a fistfight? Ever won a fight? Ever won a fight, and had your nose bloody and your shirt torn, and your girlfriend is in tears and the bouncer has thrown you both out and your talking to the police?

Yeah, not worth it, is it?

Same thing with the lawsuit. He can still sue, and he can still cost the firm a lot of money in legal fees, even if it never sees a courtroom. Far better to simply verify start and end dates.

So you tell me, if you're head of a company are you going to let your manager be honest as he wants (which is probably sour grapes) since you know you'll prevail in court, or are you going to focus on your business and keeping the firm productive and profitable?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:14 AM

19,702 posts, read 11,955,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Some managers still defame people despite company policy but when a cease and desist letter gets to HR about them HR will go ape crap and make them stop.
Sucks when the sociopath is HR.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM

25 posts, read 28,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Can you leave that job off your resume? I'm reaching for straws here...
Not really, unless I want a 5+ yr gap on my resume.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 AM

25 posts, read 28,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Were you involved in a lawsuit with a previous employer ? I believe that type of info shows up on back ground checks and most employers will pass over you for that reason alone (especially if you won).
Nope, nothing like that.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating_narwhal View Post
Nope, nothing like that.
Do you have any reason to believe that you are being blacklisted? Has anything happened in the past that may lead you to believe this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment