Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:57 PM

12,660 posts, read 8,883,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
pharm tech yes, college is more recent. I took ed classes, but my degree is just general studies in liberal arts. Not the degree I wanted (I'm a science buff) but at least I have a bachelors rather than no bachelors, and it was free because of a scholarship. I'm good at academics and paperwork, unless college is just really dumbed down or something. The only reason I didn't get a 4.0 is my grandmother died and I neglected a few online tests, but I still made a 3.6 with almost no effort.
Well, first of all, you are discovering that there is no such thing as a free puppy. Getting a degree in general studies because it was free isn't helping you. Here's the deal, you need to decide which way you want to go -- your threads are all over the place.

Do you want a professional job?

If yes, then which field? Then go back and get the degree you need for that field, even if you have to pay for it. What you pay for will mean a lot more and be more focused than what was free.

If no, then do you want a trades job? Again which field? I suggested plumber or HVAC tech above because they are decent pay and everyone needs them so you're helping people.

If not a trades job, then what - fire, medical?

And you really need to get beyond the only goal to have money and retire early. People who do that have a plan and are driven toward their plan early on. Right now you don't have than kind of focus, so the first step is get focused and work toward that first goal. Then, the next and so on. But you can't be all over the place and get anywhere. We call that "All Mach, no compass heading."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 04:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,604,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Well if you want a Federal Social Worker job, this is where you should be looking:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Resul...=social%20work

Money focused, cocktail of mental and physical disabilities, cocktail of medications necessary, depression, anxiety, adhd, overweight, fickle on majors, likes creature comforts, not passionate about social work, etc. etc.

Not sure why anyone would want to hire you unless they need a disability stat on the rolls but here you go.
Social workers I've known are pretty much the opposite of you.
The OP has been going on about the social work career in multiple threads, even though she’d be just as well off going into the feds in another position (like a pharm tech) as a GS-5 or GS-6 and then laddering her way up and transferring into other positions. The thing with the feds is that many people (most people?) start out with a job or grade they don’t want and then eventually move into something they do want. There are a lot of licensed professionals who could qualify for GS-11 jobs that end up in the GS-5 or GS-6 jobs just to get in the door and then wait it out until they can apply for one of those GS-11s. Even if they apply externally, they still have a better shot since they’ve typically already done the background screen and whatnot.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,590,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP has been going on about the social work career in multiple threads, even though she’d be just as well off going into the feds in another position (like a pharm tech) as a GS-5 or GS-6 and then laddering her way up and transferring into other positions. The thing with the feds is that many people (most people?) start out with a job or grade they don’t want and then eventually move into something they do want. There are a lot of licensed professionals who could qualify for GS-11 jobs that end up in the GS-5 or GS-6 jobs just to get in the door and then wait it out until they can apply for one of those GS-11s. Even if they apply externally, they still have a better shot since they’ve typically already done the background screen and whatnot.
I'm male, but yeah, I might try that. At least being in the fed is HALF of what I'm looking for in my next job...still working on the specifics.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:34 PM

51 posts, read 50,697 times
You need an LMSW at the least (2 years of grad school) to be a federal social worker.. They prefer LCSW vets. It starts at GS 9 at the lowest and up to GS 13 depending on your credentials and experience. AFAIK, you cannot be a federal social worker with a Bsw or less.
BTW when I say federal social worker I am referring to official government ones. The only real federal SW jobs you will find are on USA jobs. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I have been through the process myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment