Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times

Advertisements

I've posted a few times about my job. It's to look after the highest profile client we have, and is the most demanding responsibility/performance position here. I really enjoy it. My task is to get consistently high or perfect results for management to pass to clients. The job is good and all, but in my experience: results mean rewards.

For the last 12 months, I've watched the analysts and superiors print off statistics then sit around buttering themselves up all day in meetings. So last week, I thought, let's ask for a raise from my superior. And let's do it the right way, where no is just as fair as yes. No ifs, no buts, above all, be grateful to have a job.

I try to talk about my accomplishments, achievements, mentioning Directors and Managers who have thanked and praised me on my performance, and talk about the new challenges up ahead. Suddenly it all changes. My work is "team" work, not individual work any more. They're "shared", not really mine. When I press that this isn't the case, they start lying.

Me: I feel like I have been invaluable in being part of turning the relationship we have with this client-
Them: I can't believe you said that.
Me: What?
Them: You didn't turn it all around by yourself. It was a team effort. We all played a part.
Me: I didn't say it was just me. I said it was being invaluable in being a part of-
Them: No you didn't.
Me: But I-
Them: No you didn't.

Then

Them: So you think you're better than anyone else. What about James?
Me: Well, James is tasked to do the same thing, but they just pass on the E-mail.
Them: That's disgusting!
Me: ..W-what?
Them: I can't BELIEVE you're saying that about James.
Me: But the work involved is so much different. You see-
Them: Why are you talking like this about people?
Me: People? But James is one person.
Them: People. PEOPLE. The plural doesn't matter.
Me. But it's one person.
Them: No it's not.
Me: Yes it is. (Repeat several times)

At this point they run out of the meeting room crying. After several minutes, they return, their face swollen red, with another superior whom is usually hostile to me. They instantly accept my announcement of resignation without argument and we leave.

I never even GOT to ask for a raise. I never even GOT to talk about my future. At the very least it would have been nice to just talk about some of the little procedural things. Instead they acted in complete self-interest and threw me out like yesterday's trash. There was no empathy or intelligence. It was the most disgusting way I have seen adults act in a professional setting.

And that was my first attempt in asking for a raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 12:26 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
I'm confused - who are the "them" you are referring to? A group of managers? I also don't understand crying in a meeting?

Mostly I just don't understand resigning from a job you say you enjoy and are grateful to have.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I'm confused - who are the "them" you are referring to? A group of managers? I also don't understand crying in a meeting?

Mostly I just don't understand resigning from a job you say you enjoy and are grateful to have.
A single manager. The "them" is intentionally gender-less. The strange behavior and crying from a superior makes it obvious that this is not somewhere to work no matter how enjoyable it is.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Brush up the resume and start looking, then use job offer to leverage a raise.

Easy.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Easy.
You really think the OP is going to get a counteroffer?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
So you just quit? I'm confused as well! I don't understand why your manager was crying?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:12 PM

461 posts, read 508,976 times
I think this might have better handled in an e-mail. That is how I asked for and received my raise. By listing your attributes and benefits for the company in an e-mail you would have avoided the whole awkward conversation which ended in you resigning and them crying. There are even samples online on how to do the wording. This is what I used and it worked! Of course the stuff I listed was true and I was a great employee or it would not have worked. lol

Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Did you work for CNN?

Old 11-11-2017, 01:08 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,719 times
Didn't read your post but best way to ask = "threaten" with other interviews or even a job offer

Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Easy.
It looks like they accepted your resignation so it's over at this job. IMO, you should have a short and long term career plan. Every job should be a stepping stone in regards to title and salary. IMO, you should have kept a cooler head and not announced your resignation. You should have stayed at the job, kept your head low, and done the bare minimum and nothing extra. All the while looking for a new job. Having a job gives you a little bit more leverage when looking for a new job.

How long were you at this job?

I would brush up that resume and start applying for a new job. Try to get a decent raise in the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment