Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:05 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Not smart IMHO! First, a new job will call your last employer not for a reference but to ask if you are rehireable. If they say NO then its not a good sign. If you don't give notice you're usually not able to be rehired by that company.

Second, do you like to take two weeks off with no pay? I Don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I've heard and also read here on CD that some employers make your resignation instantaneous when you give 2 weeks notice. They don't want you there if you are leaving. It's never happened to me. but I wonder how common it is and if it is common in certain fields. I suppose it could be the reason some don't give the 2 weeks notice.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Yes, of course. That's generally what adults in professional or semi-professional positions do.

I learned this lesson when I was in my teens. My story:

I worked at a nursing home as a nurses aide. Crappy job, for sure (no pun intended). I ended up giving just a week's notice and the supervisor said, "you know I can't give you a good reference if you don't give two weeks' notice." I didn't care; I just wanted to get the heck out of there!

Fast forward six months or so. I applied for a position at a daycare center. I had my interview and had a half day where I was supposed to come in and interact with the kids. It seemed like it was in the bag; the director said she just had to call references and I could come in the following week for my final interview/offer. Great! I hadn't put down that supervisor as a reference. As the director was walking me out, guess who walked in. YEP. The supervisor at the nursing home. Wouldn't you know that her kids went to daycare there! Guess who didn't get the job. Me.

That's when I was 17 years old. I've never burned a bridge like that again. And it's a good thing, because the world is small and people talk. Plus life is just much more pleasant when you're not a jerk.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:46 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Contingent on the industry and title held.

I usually at minimum give a week's notice.

Have I walked with no notice? Indeed!
That employer wasn't on the great reputation list...So my new employer didn't put much thought into the former employers response of no I wouldn't rehire her.

How do any of you specifically 'know' what your former HR said?
I tend to think few of us really are conveyed the real truth on that...but who knows! Maybe some tap the phone lines...

OP- I get your attitude and it makes equal sense. The challenge is to leave them thinking...there goes a good employee...some folks that walk out on a whim...did so with a style that even a supervisor has to say...wow! Didn't know they had that in them.we are human...and do have a break off point.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Not smart IMHO! First, a new job will call your last employer not for a reference but to ask if you are rehireable. If they say NO then its not a good sign. If you don't give notice you're usually not able to be rehired by that company.

Second, do you like to take two weeks off with no pay? I Don't!
this. We call all previous employers and ask just a few questions, but always end with, "Would you rehire them if they applied today?." That response, or lack of one, is very telling.

We tell people if they quit without a two week notice they will be illegible for for rehire for 5 yrs. Most give two weeks notice because you don't **** off one the three largest employers in the area.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, look who it is again. Mr. Congeniality.

I actually walked off a job once. I was treated so badly by a shift manager that the owners were angry at him. They asked me to stay, and I explained why I could not. They accepted that, and we retained a cordial relationship.

OP, what you are doing is not only treating your former employer badly, but lying to your new one. If that works for you, it's your decision, but my guess is, someday you will be found out, and it won't be pretty.

You seem quite determined to burn every bridge you have ever encountered
This was my first take as well. The OP seems Hell bent on screwing his employers and as the stories in this thread indicate it will eventually come back to haunt him/her. OP does not seem to care so why should we?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:22 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think he likes showing off his misanthropic nature. It’s weird, but there are all sorts of people out there.
Or more likely living a fantasy here on CD.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
My college-age daughter is about to leave her first job as a restaurant hostess at a busy restaurant. Time for her to move on to some internships in her field of study. She's been there going on two years; they've been good employers allowing her time off for other activities, travel.

This is not an ideal time for the restaurant to easily replace her so I'm counseling her to first let them know of her intentions then continue working as long as she can until they have a trained new hire in place.

This isn't even so much about getting a good future reference - although that is an important consideration - but part of a parent passing on a set of values. Both institutions and individuals should be treated with fairness, consideration.

That's NOT to say that holding your own in situations is not important or not to recognize that employers (or people) may well try to take advantage. One reason for leaving is that she's being given too many extra shifts since a couple of hostesses were fired (not showing up for work).

There are always life lessons to be learned.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:16 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
All the times I quit my job, I simply asked if they needed me to stay on and if so, for how long. They let me finish the day then cut me loose and I was in the cold again. Since then, I just ride it out. Layoffs, restructurings and the like happen so routinely, that I haven't had to put up with untenable situations for long. And they have always walked me out the same day when they lay me off, but because I toughed it out, I got severance pay.

Also, because I stayed it through till the bitter end, I've been able to show a more stable resume on the back end and employers have seen that as a plus. Compared to the garbage they see all day from job hoppers looking for $1 more per hour, 4 year and 5 year stints in the same position are valued. The loyal people don't come on the market as often and are hard to get.

It's more of a shock to the system to be kicked out than it is to quit, of course, but it's just business. Of course I get mad about it, but the fact is, their minds were made up for them by someone who had no contact with me, didn't see what I did, and was just taking care of a cost center. Not a personal thing. Not that it makes it easier to swallow, but it doesn't reflect badly on me.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
I don't. I was laid off once and they didn't give me any notice.

What I normally do is tell my new employer that I would like to provide two weeks' notice for my present job, then I quit my present job immediately and take a two week vacation.

The last time I did it, my supervisor became very angry because no one was readily available to fill my position. I just started laughing at him, then walked out the door, and headed off on a nice road trip to Vegas.

It hasn't hurt me. I never use supervisors as references anyway.
Burning bridges.

It will eventually catch up with you. Best to be an adult, even if you bail.....the laughing was ridiculous.

This really is a small world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment