Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

I did in my early 20's I was a retail manager for a juniors clothing store. In that industry people are constantly recruited. I left for what I thought was a better opportunity. I soon realized it wasn't and asked my previous employer for my old job back. Since retail moves fast, my old position was already gone, but they did rehire me for another location. I ended up leaving there a few months later because I realized why I left to begin with! Regardless, you never want to burn bridges by doing something stupid when you leave as you never know if you might want to work for that employer again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
I did, in the last couple of years. I was burned out working in my field (animal welfare), so I left and took a corporate desk job. It was fun a first - a Real Job where I got to wear adult clothes and I had my own desk in a high rise! lol

It turned out to be soul crushingly boring, so fortunately when my contract was over I wasn't renewed, and I asked my old place if they needed people. They're often short of staff, so they said sure. I went back working casual hours, and within weeks had a permanent position.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
My first company was rotating shifts weekly but overall it was a good company.y. But . No chance I'll ever go back there. its not completely terrible if you're in your early 20s but once you hit you're 30s, forget it. Its a ridiculous way to live life.

Company after that, management ran it into the ground very quickly and they ended up getting bought out. Surprise surprise .

Current company, it was a great place to work the first 2-3 years, experienced managers who knew what they were doing either retired or were pushed out the door, idiots took over and we this has led to constant loss of business and a 70 percent turnover rate company wide and the stock has dropped off a cliff. The current fate of this company isn't exactly known but chances are it will end up like the 2nd company I worked at.

Long story short, Do yourself a favor , *Dont work for the private sector*. Too many crappy companies out there today and somehow they are just immune to hiring any type of management who know what the hell they are doing. Its a race to the bottom in 95 percent of American companies today. Its either own your own business or nab a government job.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:37 PM

82 posts, read 84,036 times
Not for myself, but my husband had a real jerk of a manager at this one job, and they kept clashing over customer service issue until finally the manager fired him. The people who owned the business found out and were angry at the manager, since they wouldn't have sanctioned the firing; my husband was one of their best employees. So hubby took another job but wasn't making as much money and then heard that the manager had been caught out in some dubious action regarding another female employee so he was fired. My husband went to apply and was hired back on the spot.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Yes, one time. I was the top salesperson for our district and had recruiters all over trying to steal me away. One needed someone just in my area (other job had 5-6 of us) and had a good product. I went over to them for 3 months and it stunk. The only other salesperson in the state threw me under the bus every chance he got and sales is stressful enough without having to deal with that. I called my previous sales manager and asked if I could come back and he said absolutely. The company I went to went under about a year later. The company I had worked for first and went back to went under about 2 years later. I was already out of there and onto a new job (I could see the crash coming, it was the subprime mortgage market). The third job shut down about 18 months after I started there, but I had yet another job lined up in a totally different field. Now I am self employed doing something I love and have passion for, that is also much, much less stressful than mortgage sales!

Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I once went back to the same facility, but on a different contract and on a different program. I wouldn't say it was common, but it definitely got me an in when at the time I was desperate for any work.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I have a friend who left his job and after a period of time, he decided he hated the new place and hated being micromanaged. He saw that his previous position hadn't been filled so he actually asked them if he could come back and they said, "Sure!"

I actually left my organization and a few months later, my old boss called me and said, "Psst. I heard there is going to be an opening at this place. Call so-and-so and see what's going on!" So, sure enough there was a job opening up and it was the same job title within my organization but in a different location. My organization seems to have people come back regularly though, so they seem open to it. I had no problem telling my current employer that I wanted to return to their organization.

If I left on a good note and if I was a good employee, I wouldn't have a problem contacting a previous employer and letting them know that I am open to returning if the opportunity is available.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
I have not but I know of at least two people that did, and one of them went back to more money than before.

I was laid off in 2012 after 21 years of service, but we re-hired a year later in another department. Not the same thing.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Default If You Leave Then You Can Never Go Back

I worked for an IT company where some people that left came back. There was a case of one of my colleagues who left, came back, left again, came back, and then left never to return. A few years later, we got new management. A new policy was adopted that if anyone left for any reason, even if the separation was involuntary such as a layoff of an exemplary employee, then that person could never come back, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment