Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:24 PM

440 posts, read 549,681 times

Advertisements

I've been a "contractor" for a large software company for about 2 years... Absolutely LOVE the company !

While I was applying for FTE positions to actually work directly for the company - I was offered a FTE in my current department.

I am Thrilled , was somewhat surprised I was not given a pay increase ( actually will be a small cut in pay ) but the Benefits / Perks that come along with Full Time Employment make up for the difference.

However, even with this New Position ( haven't technically started ) - not where I want to be... While on paper I am new, already worked / networked for last two years...

What would the proper time frame or steps I should take... Obviously I have to put some time in at this new spot & they expect me to want to move UP , but is there a time limit or pathway ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I’m not sure what you’re asking. Are you asking about timeframe for requesting a raise or a promotion to a different position?

They expect you to want to move up? What does that mean? A time limit? A pathway?

I don’t understand.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
If you've already accepted the job, keep networking, put in a year, and do an internal move to a higher paying job. Start looking at internal job postings now and spend the year shoring up your qualifications for your next position.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:07 PM

153 posts, read 121,095 times
Congrats on the job!

I am curious though as to why you didn't apply for a job that your really wanted? (pay, responsibilities, etc.) Either way, you're ahead of the game landing a job that with a company that you love. Like the poster above me said, give it a year, then apply again.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75 View Post
Congrats on the job!

I am curious though as to why you didn't apply for a job that your really wanted? (pay, responsibilities, etc.) Either way, you're ahead of the game landing a job that with a company that you love. Like the poster above me said, give it a year, then apply again.

Thanks for all the replies - believe quoting the above can answer a lot of questions.

I don't have an exact position that I aiming to obtain..Work for a Huge company so tittles / responsibilities change frequently - Goal is to shoot for departments / duties

I did apply for other spots with in the company - Mainly to gain Full Time Status. I was offered a position in my current department which is a great offer / position .. So this position technically is a promotion and transfer to many new benefits / perks as a full time employee -

While I am vocal about moving up & MGMT fully supports the growth. I also don't want to jump the shark with this current opportunity.

So, I was just wondering if there is any rule of thumb for time or should I look for milestones ... Know there usually some type of office etiquette along these scenarios.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
if you don't want to name the company, none of us here could possibly tell you what the answer is. you'll have to check with HR or look up the corporate policy - some places have no restrictions; some are six months to one year..

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Some employers have a policy about eligibility for promotions, and this is usually spelled out in the employee handbook.

Congrats on your position. Your benefits are likely worth more than the difference in salary.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Stay on the job for a minimum of 2 yrs. Do well and interact with the boss so that you have his/her support when you want to make a move.

Best of luck.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Contractors get paid more than the FTE equivalents since they do not have benefits. So don't be surprised there was no raise for you.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you've already accepted the job, keep networking, put in a year, and do an internal move to a higher paying job. Start looking at internal job postings now and spend the year shoring up your qualifications for your next position.
Sorry I passed up your post !! Appreciate the response, as it does reinforce my initial plans .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
if you don't want to name the company, none of us here could possibly tell you what the answer is. you'll have to check with HR or look up the corporate policy - some places have no restrictions; some are six months to one year..
Thank You for the reply ! This was not a company policy question.. This was an office etiquette question... In life, business.. there is always those unwritten faux pas , respectful actions, etc.. Which consistently change over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment